Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

HID foglight question

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 08:21 PM
SilverHoss
1st Gear Member

Why, oh why6 in the hell would you wanna put HID lights in your fogs? For purpose of pissing off all the other drivers on the road? There is a reason the when you order the option HID headlights, they are in projector housings (as most factory HID's are) It is because HID lights are much, much brighter and projector housings/lens focus the light in a controlled pattern, so they don't blind evryone on the road. The type relector fogs use, is meant to spread light in a wide pattern in front of the car. You put HID's in there, you are blinding everyone-and for half a minute after you drive by. It's like flashing a camera in their face. That's also why they don't offer HID's in the fog's from the factory. And to austin101385, just because not evrybody flashes you, that does not mean you are not blinding them all, they just think to themselves, "what a jerk. maybe I'll find his car parked and bust those out with tire iron".
Old 05-27-2011, 08:46 AM
11Stang20

Really, that is why I just but 42 watt slightly blue tinted bulbs in the grill fog lights and since the little projector fogs in the valance are low and do not give off much light compared to the headlights or the halogen grill fogs. I put 4300K hids in them to match color and to actually be seen. The result is not very bright but uniform in color and light output.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:10 PM
austin101385
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by SilverHoss
And to austin101385, just because not evrybody flashes you, that does not mean you are not blinding them all, they just think to themselves, "what a jerk. maybe I'll find his car parked and bust those out with tire iron".
No reason to call people out. Believe it or not, I think about these things and adjust my lights downward so not to blind people. I always have my wife drive by me (oncoming) and in front of me when I install HID on my cars to make sure they are adjusted correctly and not blinding. She said there is no glare or blinding light.

People flashed me before I changed anything with my lights...these projector lights put out a lot of light and some people are sensitive to lights at night.

That being said, people have been putting HID's in reflectors for years...I know they are not ideal because you waste a lot of light, but if you get the HID's with the caps (made for reflector headlights) or adjust them properly, I'd say you are ok. Just look at older acura and cadillacs...they have HID in reflector housings...suprise suprise. You just have to know which kit to get and/or how to adjust them to keep the glare/blinding down

Last edited by austin101385; 05-28-2011 at 12:13 PM.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:58 PM
11Stang20

I am not sure if many people know about the caps. But even with them installed, those fog lights are high, have little adjustment if any. Heck, even my 42 watt Halogen Cosmic White lights are somewhat bright. I have never been flashed so I would guess they are not too bright. There is one thing, I have installed HID's on all of my cars and they sure light up in front of your car. That is the reason I have them on my other vehicles is how well they illuminate. You are right about aligning them low to not blind the oncoming traffic though.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:31 AM
bigmike06gt
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 11Stang20
I am not sure if many people know about the caps. But even with them installed, those fog lights are high, have little adjustment if any. Heck, even my 42 watt Halogen Cosmic White lights are somewhat bright. I have never been flashed so I would guess they are not too bright. There is one thing, I have installed HID's on all of my cars and they sure light up in front of your car. That is the reason I have them on my other vehicles is how well they illuminate. You are right about aligning them low to not blind the oncoming traffic though.
I run the 55W HID's in my fogs but I only use my fog lights as my bright lights as I find the brights are pretty much useless on my 06. I do get flashed from time to time but I have my lows adjusted down and the cut off for the light is quite low on them. I find that it is only semi's that flash me, I have driven behind quite a few people I know with cars and half tons and they don't find my lights that bright or annoying but almost every semi I go by flashes me. They don't like when I turn on the fogs and the high beams. LOL

Personally I think anyone that wants to drive with their fog lights on all the time deserves a baseball bat to them, there is no point in it.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:31 AM
JimmyM
3rd Gear Member

Sure, putting HID bulbs in stock housing isn't a good idea. I already have RetroSolutions 35w 5000k in mine. Do I regret it and wish I had spent that money on legitimate HID projectors? Sure.

But, meh. I get blinded every time I drive, whether it be some ricer, some big *** trucks with HID bulbs in stock housings, or even stock HIDs on SUVs.

One night, I was driving in a neighborhood street. A SUV was coming on the opposite lane, whether it was a Lexus, a BMW, or a Range, I'm not sure. All I know is I was blinded as hell by its HIDs. I couldn't see anything at all, but I could "sense" the other driver flashing his/her lights at me, presumably because my lights were too bright. How ironic.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:25 AM
11Stang20

I guess BigMike is right. The lights are somewhat bright. I need to drive in front of my car and see how bad they are. I do not have HID's in my grill fogs, but have Halogen Cosmic White 42 watt bulbs. They are not as bright as the factory fog light bulbs it had but have the HID color so they look similar to the factory HID headlights my car has. But they still may be to bright, I will see.