MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2010-current S197 Appearance Section (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2010-current-s197-appearance-section-132/)
-   -   Front end paint protection?? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2010-current-s197-appearance-section/645640-front-end-paint-protection.html)

Sleeper5.0 06-22-2011 10:18 PM

Front end paint protection??

Well what to do about the dings you get on the front of the 2011 Mustang??
My wife has already had a rock hit her or something.. There has to be something.. Thought I saw something like a clear bra?? IDK.. Or maybe get a regular bra.. I never had one on a car and wouldn't even know if they even work..

Wanta hear something real sad? I live in a pretty nice neighborhood.. Don't matter.. Three little punk kids, a little more than a block from my house, shot my week and half old 2011 Mustang GT with a BB gun as I drove by.. I remember the shot.. It was loud.. Found the dent last night.. Was heartbroken.. Looked at it again today and knew I been shot.. Only man makes perfectly round projectiles.. They almost shot my dang window out.. Called the police today.. Thinking well since I know where it happened, maybe they would get lucky and catch em.. They caught the little devils last night.. They shot the window out of a policeman's personal car as he drove by.. He nailed them.. I heard they didn't even care they got busted(MY dad woulda cut my trigger finger off).. What a bunch of punks.. I may or may not see some restitution.. Going to take it to see what it cost to fix it in the morning and just have it fixed.. It is awful looking and shows up bad.. Hit it right above the crease in the door, and took all the paint off down to the bare metal.. It was no red rider....

Trolls can post all the :icon_violin::icon_violin: they want.. Still wouldn't mind some advice on something to protect this car from the rock slinging trucks around here.. I got good police for the punks..

pdonket 06-22-2011 11:11 PM

That really sucks...it's insane how little some kids respect other people's property. Every time my neighbors kids let them run around in my driveway or they start chasing each other around my car I just about flip out. It anything happened to my car like it getting shot I would lose it.

As for protecting the paint, first I would suggest getting maybe dr.colorchip (google it) to fix up the dings in the front end, and then go to a professional 3M Clear Bra installer and for about $500 they'll make sure the front end gets no more dings. From what I hear they look literally as invisible as can be unless you're right up on them, and they do a pretty solid job at protecting the paint in the danger zones.

BIGPHIL 06-22-2011 11:54 PM

I personally wouldn't get the 3M (or any similar clear protector). My girl had a Lexus with that stuff on it and it does take a lot of abuse from rocks and stuff, but it gets pitted pretty bad from sand and debris. Once that stuff starts looking bad, it looks just as bad as paint would. Once it gets that bad and you want to replace it, you're down another chunk of change...I would rather just have the bumper repainted for cheaper. my 2¢

Sleeper5.0 06-23-2011 12:53 AM

Found this http://www.langka.com/ after looking up reviews on the DR chip repair stuff..
Some have had some good luck with it.. Others haven't.. Might be worth a shot..

Also saw where the 3M stuff comes with a lifetime warranty.. I wonder what they warranty? A reapplication? Bet not

Sleeper5.0 06-24-2011 06:40 AM

Well it's going to run around $449 to fit where those punks shot my car.. Ford has to remove everything on the door.. Get the dent out then paint and clear the whole quarter to make the paint look right.. Plus I got that metallic paint.. AHHHHHH pressing charges...

pro-tect mobile 07-05-2011 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Sleeper5.0 (Post 7592906)
Found this http://www.langka.com/ after looking up reviews on the DR chip repair stuff..
Some have had some good luck with it.. Others haven't.. Might be worth a shot..

Also saw where the 3M stuff comes with a lifetime warranty.. I wonder what they warranty? A reapplication? Bet not

3M is actaully not that great of a film. They only have a 5 year warranty as well. VentureShield Ultra has a lifetime warranty for the film but does not cover the re-application costs for the installer. I install VentureShield and usually replace it out for free... but honestly I have never had a piece of film come back for warranty issues. I also install a new film out called Avery Nano Fusion.... IMHO its the best on the market and comes with a full lifetime warranty for film and labor. Its the smoothest film out there and is as glossy as the paint. 3M has a lot of orange peel to it... which is one of many reasons why I do not offer it.

To the gentleman above that commented on the film taking damage, there are numerous films out there and they all are different. Some films resist more damage than others... but all of them will protect the paint which is the objective. If the film gets damaged that bad then peel it off and replace it. The factory paint will still be perfect and it will cost much less to repalce the film. That will GREATLY increase the resale value of your car and minimize the time you are without it (paint shops can take a while and if its a tough color to match it could be months before you get your car back). I currently have 132,000 miles on my vehicle and the only damage to the film is where someone backed into me and scuffed the film. My vehicle has been from California all the way to Conneticut to Florida and back to Texas... so it has seen all types of road conditions and it has held up very well.

If you have any more questions regarding PPF feel free to PM me. I will be happy to help out.