MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2010-current S197 Appearance Section (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2010-current-s197-appearance-section-132/)
-   -   Painted on Pin-Stripe Removal (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2010-current-s197-appearance-section/647059-painted-on-pin-stripe-removal.html)

rangerryda 07-07-2011 07:20 PM

Painted on Pin-Stripe Removal

The wonderfully tasteful people at the dealership decided to add this painted over clearcoat pin stripe to my Mustang GT 2 days prior to picking it up. The dealer is 1.5 hours away and want to avoid going to their doorstep to have it removed if at all possible. Any ideas on how to remove the stuff without screwing up my paint? It's black on performance white paint.

AzPete 07-07-2011 08:37 PM

Go to a body shop and see what they offer. Most likely will require at least sanding and more clear..... If they did it without your permission, they should cover the removal.

TruMac 07-07-2011 09:43 PM

I would certainly make sure that dealership took care of it. Even if they don't do the work, I would want a check cut to remove that nonsense.

outastockjohn 07-07-2011 11:21 PM

if it is truely a painted pinstripe, then a can of easyoff will take care of it without hurting your paint.

rangerryda 07-08-2011 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by outastockjohn (Post 7610208)
if it is truely a painted pinstripe, then a can of easyoff will take care of it without hurting your paint.

That's what I heard would work but I'd prefer to have the goofball that put it one take it back off. It just sucks that it's so far away. I might just suck it up and go out there. Only got to do it once right? Thanks for the tips guys. I'll post pics with it gone.

TruMac 07-08-2011 07:59 AM

It would be easy enough to remove it yourself, but I would still prefer they did it (if it was my car that is). God forbid you do some kind of damage to the paint, then it's on you. If they mess up then at the very least they'll be liable...again.

BKamp613 07-08-2011 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by outastockjohn (Post 7610208)

+1 I used oven cleaner when removing a painted stripe on my old Tiburon.

If you go this route, spray some on, and let it sit for a little while. Then scrub, scrub, scrub. It takes some time, but it worked great and didn't mess with the paint at all.

Edit: Couldn't you have not accepted the car in the first place? (More trouble, but screw the dealership for being dumb...)

JimmyM 07-08-2011 01:41 PM

What???? From the sound of it, your car didn't "come" with the Ford racing stripes

They PAINTED stripes on YOUR car without permission? That's insane. What a couple of D bags.

pascal 07-08-2011 03:02 PM

LOL.^^^^^^^^ Pass around some of that grass will ya?

OP, just run some buffing compound with an orbital machine and it's a 5mn job.;)
Do NOT wet sand your clear!
Soft chemicals are OK but you still need some rubbing after it so go directly to buffing and be done with it.

danzcool 07-08-2011 03:09 PM

That would be something that I would end up refusing delivery over. Get your deposit back and go somewhere else... unless you accepted delivery already.