Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

Water spots

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 06:27 PM
BlueBellThunder
2nd Gear Member

Default Water spots

I just detailed my car today and noticed some water spots etched into the paint. They are very minor and only noticeable when looking at certain angles. Can anyone recommend a good cleaner to remove them. Thanks.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:39 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlueBellThunder
I just detailed my car today and noticed some water spots etched into the paint. They are very minor and only noticeable when looking at certain angles. Can anyone recommend a good cleaner to remove them. Thanks.
Have you tried applying a wax? I have never had water spots on my car except while washing my car in the sun but they are so minor that when I dryed the car with a rag they disappeared. Clay barring the car will also remove them.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:44 PM
05SatinSilverGT
2nd Gear Member

^ Agreed, a coat of wax should do it. If they're really stubborn a clay bar & a good polish should take care of it.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:01 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Yep, clay bar the car first, then apply a coat of wax after drying the car and it should solve that, and make sure you don't run into it again

Exterior maintenance is a lot of work but is worth it.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:31 PM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

a coat of wax will do nothing but just put some protection on the paint..it will serve no purpose to remove water spots. unless it has alot of fillers to try and mask some of them..but they will just re appear after a few weeks of washes. first thing to do is try and clay bar it..if they are still just sitting on the paint....they they are actually etched into the paint then you will have to get a DA to buff them out or have someone do it for you. You can also try a mix of 50/50 vinegar and water to try and remove them.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:35 PM
2011Kona3.7L
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlueBellThunder
this is what i use - http://www.autogeek.net/motcalgolind.html
Old 07-09-2011, 11:28 PM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

that wont do anything for water spots..that is just a cleaner between washes when the car is only dusty. it will not remove etched waterspots.
Old 07-09-2011, 11:56 PM
rangerryda
1st Gear Member

I second the clay bar. After that, MAINTAIN a nice waxed surface or else you're just asking for more surface etching.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:11 AM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 05xrunner
a coat of wax will do nothing but just put some protection on the paint..it will serve no purpose to remove water spots. unless it has alot of fillers to try and mask some of them..but they will just re appear after a few weeks of washes. first thing to do is try and clay bar it..if they are still just sitting on the paint....they they are actually etched into the paint then you will have to get a DA to buff them out or have someone do it for you. You can also try a mix of 50/50 vinegar and water to try and remove them.
Maybe mine werent etched in because I sometimes get waterspots since I have no shade to wash my car, and if I follow up with a quick spray wax they disappear. But like I said I have never had them REALLY bad where they were etched in the paint.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:55 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 05xrunner
that wont do anything for water spots..that is just a cleaner between washes when the car is only dusty. it will not remove etched waterspots.
It all depends on how bad the water spots are. Sometimes they aren't literally etched but they'll leave a ring from particulate that dried onto the surface while the water evaporated, and a quick detailer or spray way can remove that.

But yep, if they're literally etched in, then depending on how bad they are, you could polish them out by hand if you have the elbow grease, or use a machine polisher to make it happen faster.

Quick Reply: Water spots