MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2010-current S197 Appearance Section (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2010-current-s197-appearance-section-132/)
-   -   ALERT: possible 2012 Ebony Black Paint Issues (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2010-current-s197-appearance-section/651093-alert-possible-2012-ebony-black-paint-issues.html)

Venice Will 08-22-2011 06:29 AM

ALERT: possible 2012 Ebony Black Paint Issues

We bought a 2012 Ebony Black V6 Conv. - washed her carefully and kept it garaged when not toolin' down the ROAD -

Finishing up last week with a soft chamoise...and the wife spotted some white pieces under the clear-coat...all over the hood, with a few minor miscellaneous spots on the front fenders...

You could actually catch some of them with your finger nail...

Took it back to my dealer, who's shop manager said "oh, it's just a little fallout from the transportation..." and tried buffing it out - no luck, actually brought the crap to the surface.

I checked a couple of other Black 2012 stang's on their lot, and they had the same issue on the hoods....

The shop took the car for 2 days...had to take off a number of paint coats to get the imperfections (likely contamination in the paint/clearcoat process in the factory) out, and re-painted & re-clear-coated it.

It looks good for now...we'll see as time and elements weather the car's coat...

IF YOU HAVE A 2012 BLACK STANG, LOOK CLOSELY AT THE HOOD UNDER BOTH SUNLIGHT AND OTHER LIGHTING....

scottybaccus 08-22-2011 10:09 PM

My Race Red 2011 model had about 12 blemishes on the driver's side. (I had the car for two weeks before spotting the first one in just the right sunlight. After that, I found another, and another...) These stick up out of the paint like trash got in the clear coat. My body shop does warranty work for one Ford dealer in town, but not the one I purchased from. Lucky for me, I knew my own Ford service manager really well and he helped me arrange for my body shop to bill him for the warranty work with an agreed allowance up front.
My paint guy told me they wouldn't likely buff out. When the buffer hits the trash, it pulls it out, leaving behind a divot or cavity missing in the clear. It collects the buffing compound and turns black. Sooooo, with the dealer warranty repair authorized, they did the blem refinish on the entire driver's side; sanding, spot belending the color to fade it into the surrounding areas and then cleared the whole side. It came out spectatcular and went from the Ford warranty of 5 years, to the PPG lifetime warranty against fading, cracking, peeling, etc.
This is a pretty standard warranty service. You just have make sure they have a good body shop, or go to another dealer to arrange the work. If you have any doubts about the work they have done so far, get a second opinion.

E714FEVER 08-23-2011 04:16 AM

Mine is a 2011 ebony and it has some spots like that.

Blacksmoke 08-23-2011 07:12 AM

There was an issue with earlier S197's with the paint actually coming OFF the under hood and making its way to the lip and top of the hood.

Contaminates were in the paint that actually ATE AWAY the paint.
They DEFINITELY need to step up on the paint prep and job on the Fords.

To add to that...
Unfortunately from what I gather all big 3 American companies are known to make vehicles with paint problems.