Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

2012 Mustang GT 5.0 Build - STLTH 5.0 (Updated 10/19)

Old 10-19-2011, 02:20 AM
GT Mustang FTW

Talking 2012 Mustang GT 5.0 Build - STLTH 5.0 (Updated 10/29)

Hey everyone, so I finally got my Black 2012 Mustang GT Premium and the parts have been flooding my doorstep. I'll post up before and after pics of everything I do. (I have lots more pics on my Photobucket - http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...0Mustang%20GT/ and I'll update that as soon as something new goes on). If you have any questions on how I did something or need any help at all, feel free to PM me and I'll help you out as best as I can.

JLT Cold Air Intake

Black Billet Aluminum 5.0 Emblems

GT/CS Front Valence, Smoked side markers, Stealth/Chrome turn signals

Stock Front End

GT500 Spoiler

Spoilerless

Stock Spoiler

20% Tint all around

Brand new at the dealer

Last edited by GT Mustang FTW; 10-29-2011 at 03:44 AM.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:31 AM
Templar
3rd Gear Member

Looks good!
Old 10-19-2011, 10:49 AM
09cs
5th Gear Member

Looks good.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:11 PM
mustang0672
4th Gear Member

Looks great!
Old 10-20-2011, 11:40 AM
D'prived
4th Gear Member

Looks good! Nice car... nice mods! Good job.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:29 PM
alan0614
6th Gear Member

Nice car, how did you wire the CS fogs with the ones in the grill?
Old 10-21-2011, 09:09 PM
GT Mustang FTW

Originally Posted by alan0614
Nice car, how did you wire the CS fogs with the ones in the grill?
Thanks! I actually haven't wired all 6 lights together yet. I'm working on finding a good solution and I'll let you know when I figure something out.

Ideally, I'd like to wire the C/S fogs to the headlights and have the GT grille fogs hooked up to the fog light switch. That way, I'd have quad projectors on for my headlights and have the GT grille fogs on when I choose to.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:09 PM
JimmyM
3rd Gear Member

Hey,

I just took my GT500 spoiler off my V6 and slapped on a takeoff GT spoiler since I'm trading my car in. I'm going to use the same GT500 spoiler on my GT so I will have to do the whole process again.

Can you tell me how you took it off? I had a heat gun, Goof Off and fishing line.

Fishing line broke fairly quick. Heat gun helped a bit but it was still very difficult. In the end, it took elbow grease to get it off and the trunk is now very squeeky and takes more pressure to close. I mind sound like a horrible person, but that's whatever since I'm trading the car in, but I don't want that to happen on the new 5.0
Old 10-21-2011, 11:19 PM
GT Mustang FTW

Originally Posted by JimmyM
Hey,

I just took my GT500 spoiler off my V6 and slapped on a takeoff GT spoiler since I'm trading my car in. I'm going to use the same GT500 spoiler on my GT so I will have to do the whole process again.

Can you tell me how you took it off? I had a heat gun, Goof Off and fishing line.

Fishing line broke fairly quick. Heat gun helped a bit but it was still very difficult. In the end, it took elbow grease to get it off and the trunk is now very squeeky and takes more pressure to close. I mind sound like a horrible person, but that's whatever since I'm trading the car in, but I don't want that to happen on the new 5.0
Eek, sounds like you might've bent something on the V6.

I taped off the spoiler and the trunk with blue painters tape (no residue and peels off easily). Then I soaked all the sticky tape with liquid adhesive remover (from Lowe's) and waited a few minutes. Then I took an exacto knife/razor blade and sliced into the sticky tape as much as possible and poured some more remover to seep into the cracks created by the initial cut. I used 20lb fishing line to slowly work towards the center. I was able to get enough of it off to pry it up by hand and then get some cardboard pieces in between the spoiler and the trunk lid. I worked more fishing line in after the studs and worked my way across the middle of the spoiler till i got to the other side and it peels off pretty easily again. I had to keep applying the remover to weaken the sticky tape enough so it would cut with the knife and give in and rip off.

Words of wisdom, when using the exacto knife, be very careful with the paint as you don't want to scratch it at all. Make sure you tape it off really well to prevent damage as well. You want to go slowly with the knife so you don't accidentally let it go too quick and scratch something.
Old 10-22-2011, 01:45 PM
JimmyM
3rd Gear Member

Thanks.

It might be easier to take off the GT spoiler than the GT500, since the latter curves down on the outside.

I used a 50lb fishing line and it broke in seconds...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2012 Mustang GT 5.0 Build - STLTH 5.0 (Updated 10/19)