Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

boss 302 intake install on 2011 gt warranty void issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 06:28 AM
SIGNL80

Originally Posted by chascs/gt
I was thinking of adding the 302 intake to my 2011 gt and was concered it might void the warranty. Called 2 ford dealerships and got the same answer.It appears it will void the factory warranty because you would be putting more air into the engine and possiably damaging the internals. Has anybody come across this issue? I thought the boss 302 and gt shared the same motor and transmission except for the laguna seca. Thanks in advance
Not the same engine as the GT, the Boss has forged internals plus much much more. The base boss and Laguna Seca have the same engine. The intake will void the warranty since it requires a tune and Ford racing does not offer a tune for it that I know of. Ive read the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act but ford released a tsb a few months ago stating if the car has an after market tune or has ever had a tune the warranty will be void. Do some searching on s197forum.com and forums.themustangsource.com, both have several threads related to this with several owners who have had to pay the final repair bills because ford refused to cover the damages. My car was modded three days after I drove it off the lot. I have a little over 6k miles in a year with zero issues.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:37 PM
rangerryda
1st Gear Member

Isn't the Laguna Seca a Boss with a gaudy color scheme and upgraded suspension?
Old 10-28-2011, 06:09 AM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

fwiw lots of people expect huge power gains from the boss 302 intake and that part alone may not do much. that intake shifts power further up the rpm band where the cars spend most of their time on the track. it makes more power in the 6-7.5k range. most tuners up the rev limiter 200-300 rpm which still wont put you at the factory 7500 the boss uses. all those forged parts and lightweight valves in the boss are to live in that rpm range. a normal 5.0 would probably be fine, but if ford thought the 5.0 needed as much work as they put into the boss for those extra 500 rpms it would give me pause spinning the coyote to that range.

anyway, you really have to see a boss 302 stock dyno sheet overlaid with a stock gt dyno sheet to see what i mean, peak hp inst that different between the cars, there is just a lot more of it in the higher rpms with the boss. i think steeda gus had a comparison for coyote vs roadrunner with dyno sheets somewhere around here that shows what i am talking about.

also FWIW that part is actually pretty easy to install yourself. i helped a buddy do it in my drive way. just be careful with the injector o-rings (one stuck to his factory intake and we didn't know it) and its a 2 hour job tops. if you need service put the factory intake on, return to stock, and go in.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:28 PM
rangerryda
1st Gear Member

^ This. Full of truth.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:30 AM
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

I talked to my dealer the other day....basically, they'll cover anything exhaust, after the cats, CAI, Manifold, Recaro Seat install, Boss Wheel install....etc (basically anything that isn't 'obtrusive') AS LONG AS THEY INSTALL IT. So, the seats for instance, I'd have to order them (when available) through the dealership, and pay for them to install 'em....and my warranty is 100% good. Same w/ the steering wheel. (Yes I know it's not an 'approved' modification. Exhaust, as long as it's CAT-BACK...I'd bring it in and pay them to install it.....100% warranty. This from the Sales guy, Sales Manager, AND Service Manager.

It's ALL up to your dealer. (I did NOT have the cajones to inquire about a tuner i.e. SCT...other than the canned tuner from FRPP.)
Old 11-08-2011, 01:33 PM
asoka05
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ditty
I talked to my dealer the other day....basically, they'll cover anything exhaust, after the cats, CAI, Manifold, Recaro Seat install, Boss Wheel install....etc (basically anything that isn't 'obtrusive') AS LONG AS THEY INSTALL IT. So, the seats for instance, I'd have to order them (when available) through the dealership, and pay for them to install 'em....and my warranty is 100% good. Same w/ the steering wheel. (Yes I know it's not an 'approved' modification. Exhaust, as long as it's CAT-BACK...I'd bring it in and pay them to install it.....100% warranty. This from the Sales guy, Sales Manager, AND Service Manager.

It's ALL up to your dealer. (I did NOT have the cajones to inquire about a tuner i.e. SCT...other than the canned tuner from FRPP.)
why do u need the dealer to install the seats?

Even if you did install the seats yourself, the dealer can't void your warranty on the power train as those 2 (seats and power train) are in no way related to each other.. ?
Old 11-08-2011, 04:32 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by asoka05
why do u need the dealer to install the seats?

Even if you did install the seats yourself, the dealer can't void your warranty on the power train as those 2 (seats and power train) are in no way related to each other.. ?
dealer has to install seats because of the side airbags.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:18 PM
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM
dealer has to install seats because of the side airbags.
Correct. If I installed the seats, and I get into an accident and my side airbags don't deploy, or the seat folds up like an accordian, FORD can claim that I installed it improperly, and THEY and INS can refuse ALL compensation. Just Food For Thought. If they are willing to honor the warranty as long as I pay 'em a little for installation, it's cheap peice of mind. Pretty sweet that as long as I notify them w/ what I'm planning BEFORE I do it, I can find out BEFORE HAND if I'm voiding anything. Apple Ford in Columbia, MD has been pretty straight forward w/ me.

(Side note: I have the "New Owners Meeting" w/ the Service Manager tonight at the dealer. I'm going to pick his brain some more about some modifications. i.e. Exhaust (how far CAN I go?), BOSS Manifold, Tuners, the Seats again, Steering wheel, suspension (HATE the wheel hop), MGW shifter, BOSS shift ****, and picking up a new grill that moves the fogs to the center.)
Old 01-14-2012, 05:06 PM
BLACK BETTY12
1st Gear Member

How did that meeting ever turn out?
Old 01-15-2012, 09:02 AM
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BLACK BETTY12
How did that meeting ever turn out?
Yeah... I never did post about that.

It was NOT the service manager doing the meeting...it was the Quick Lane Manager...and HE is a D.B.!

So I knew going into this thing that is was going to be a sales pitch to drum up business to the quicklane, additional services, etc. But, I didn't think it was going to turn into a personnal attack.

The QuickLane Manager, was talking about how it's better to get this and that done at the dealership, yada yada, and THEN he says....

"And don't EVER take your car to Jiffy Lube!" (Yes, he called Jiffy Lube out specifically, no other quick lube chain like Mobil xPress, Valvoline, Sears, etc.) "Everyone that works or has worked at Jiffy Lube is a MORON and knows NOTHING about cars!"

Lets take a step back. I used to work at Jiffy Lube. I worked there for over 3 years. The Quick Lane Manager, just called me, a customer, a "moron" in front of about 20 other customers. Yes, I took the defensive, and then directly to the Offensive.

Me: "Wait, so you're saying that people who work at Jiffy Lube specifically are 'morons' and don't know anything about working on cars?"

Q.L. Mngr: "Yes. They use air tools to take off and put on oil drain plugs. I've never met one that wasn't either drunk or high while working on a car. Monkeys are more qualified to change oil."

Me: "Really? That's funny, b/c I worked for Jiffy Lube for 3+ years. Am I a Moron? Do I do drugs?"
"Sir, are YOU calling ME, a customer of this dealership that JUST bought a BRAND NEW CAR, a MORON that is dumber than a Monkey???!!!!"

The room is so quiet. Not a SINGLE person says anything. Q.L. Mngr is just standing there, not knowing what to say. Some of the other dealership guys are in the back corner...two of 'em just walked out.

Me: "Mr (deleted), You have just LOST a customer. I can't believe that a dealership of this size and reputation would endorse a Manager that would so blattantly insult a customer that just spent $3x,xxx dollars. F$&K YOU!"

I walked out. Went straight for the "How was your experience?" forms and blasted this guy.

A few days later I get a call from THE Service manager. He appologized for the Q.L. Mngr, who does NOT work there anymore, and that he would like to have me still consider Apple Ford for my services and for future vehicle purchases. I told him, "I'll think about it."

In a nut shell, when you're trying to do a sales pitch and make yourself sound awesome, do NOT bring in your personnal politics concering rivals.

(And for the record, in my time at Jiffy Lube, not once have I EVER seen anyone EVER even try to attempt to use an air tool on ANYTHING other than performing a tire rotation. I have NEVER witnessed ANYONE EVER put oil in a vehicle other than what was purchased, and I have always performed ALL services purchased by a customer. If I could not complete the service requested, the customer did NOT pay for it! Yes, sometimes mistakes are made, but when mistakes are made, the customer is made aware of it immediately, and it is fixed as soon as possible. Are there stupid people that work at places like Jiffy Lube? Yes. But we tried to keep them to a minimum.)

Quick Reply: boss 302 intake install on 2011 gt warranty void issue