Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

My Retrofit HIDs

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 06:34 PM
BKamp613
2nd Gear Member

Default My Retrofit HIDs

The Story: I had HIDs in OEM housings, which were pretty terrible. Light went everywhere. Then, I bought Raxiom Projectors from AM. This was better, but the output wasn't as good as I expected (even with 4300K HID).

I decided to go with a retrofit a few weeks ago.

A member here, StockD15b had/has an "ad" in the FS section for HID retrofits (Edit: Now on Facebook!)I PMed him (a lot) about what I wanted, and shipped my OEM lights out to him.

The Build:

Morimoto Mini H1 w/Mini Gattling Shrouds
5000K bulbs
Black painted housings & Shrouds
Removed amber turn signal reflector
Iridescent Sylvania Bulbs

I'm very pleased with how they turned out. The output is night/day, even when compared to Raxiom Projectors. They were very professionally installed, and Kris provided updates through out the process. PM StockD15b or look up his thread in the FS section for his prices.

One Projector:

(Mind the glare...my camera sucks)

Last edited by BKamp613; 07-27-2012 at 02:32 PM.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:05 PM
302_HBU
1st Gear Member

Those look awesome!
Old 02-25-2012, 09:26 PM
freyes
2nd Gear Member

I see your retrofitter copied my retrofit from sickhids. I was wondering why he was PMing me so much recently. Cool look isn't it? Do your turn signals switch from crystal running lights to amber? They're called switchbacks,
Old 02-25-2012, 09:56 PM
BKamp613
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by freyes
I see your retrofitter copied my retrofit from sickhids. I was wondering why he was PMing me so much recently. Cool look isn't it? Do your turn signals switch from crystal running lights to amber? They're called switchbacks,
What's copied? Painting them black and ditching the reflector? Check HIDPlanet. This same look has been done for months now. My retrofitter did what I asked for. Plus, I got a much better deal.

Also, they're not switchbacks. They're Silvania halogens with an iridescent coating on them.

Last edited by BKamp613; 02-25-2012 at 10:10 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:58 AM
Morty8833
1st Gear Member

I think they look great. Mind me asking what that cost you?
Old 02-26-2012, 07:40 AM
BKamp613
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Morty8833
I think they look great. Mind me asking what that cost you?
They cost me right around $400. Price varies depending on the options you choose. Projector type, shroud design, bulbs or no bulbs, wiring harness, etc...

I had my original OEM lights lying around because I had bought the Raxioms months back, but if you need a brand new set of lights for the retrofit, he can hook you up with those as well.

It was well worth it. Nothing compares to HIDs in projectors designed for them. Thanks for the comments!

Last edited by BKamp613; 02-26-2012 at 07:44 AM.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:04 AM
StockD15b
4th Gear Member

Brian,they look great glad you like them. how would you describe the difference between the factory lights vs the Raxioms vs HID projectors?

Freyes, Im sorry if this build resembles yours. Your and I pm's were never in regards to the "look" rather a fitment question since i was under the impression you had done yours your self.

This was more of a budget build.I used the shrouds that came supplied with the projectors, i could have gone with a different shroud, but that would have bumped up tottal cost.And again,this was more of a budget build.Brian and I consulted back in fourth numerous times in regards to what the look we wanted to achieve. it boils down to this..
Stock

with amber diffuser

without

I think we'd all agree the latter is the better overall look.

Oh, and now we can enjoy being in the elite club of HID projector retrofits!!

Last edited by StockD15b; 02-26-2012 at 11:23 AM.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:43 AM
BKamp613
2nd Gear Member

For comparison, retrofit is by far the best option (aside from factory HID). HIDs installed in factory reflector housings cause glare, and throw light upwards. It's not very usable. You get the "look" of HID, but none of the cut-off and color flicker you get with projectors.

Raxioms are a good step up from HIDs in halogen reflectors. I had the smoked lens version, which definitely reduced light output. IMO, HIDs are a necessity for smoked Raxioms. The light the included halogen bulbs provide is on par (if not slightly worse) than standard reflectors + halogens. Even with HIDs, the Raxiom projectors don't put out enough light, especially on foggy/rainy nights. You get a decent beam cut-off, but it's not very straight, along with minimal color band.

Retrofit is the best choice. There is a sharp beam cut-off line, with a great color band and wide beam pattern. The 5000k bulbs I'm running provide more light than Raxioms with 4300k bulbs. Remember, the higher the kelvin, the lower the lumens. So even with a lower lumen count, the retrofits put out more usable light than Raxioms with a higher lumen count bulb. This is due to the better quality Morimoto projectors and clear outer lens.

If you're going to spend the $ on projectors, skip the Raxioms and do a Retrofit. The extra cost means a world of difference in performance.

Last edited by BKamp613; 07-02-2012 at 07:12 AM.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:20 PM
StockD15b
4th Gear Member

Yea, im doing a job now for a guy who has the aftermarket headlights with the halogen projectors in em. I plugged it in just to check the out put..very very narrow.descent cut off tho.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:59 AM
freyes
2nd Gear Member

On my previous post, when I used the word "copied", I was talking about removing the amber turn signal reflector, and whether the OP's retrofitter had used switchbacks, as this is what Stock15b and I discussed on numerous PMs. I meant no disrespect, as the OP seems to have reacted as though I had. I was wondering whether the turn signals worked the way mine do, crystal when used as running lights, and amber when used as turn signals, but from the photos, only amber bulbs were used.

Stock15b, I realized this was a budget build due to the equipment used.

FYI, I normally do all my own work, but contracted out my retrofit since I was getting my elbow replaced. Still looks great. Welcome to the HID club.

Last edited by freyes; 02-27-2012 at 08:23 AM.

Quick Reply: My Retrofit HIDs