Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

Tinted Side Markers

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 03:05 AM
YerBuddy
2nd Gear Member

Default Tinted Side Markers

Not a huge mod and certainly the easiest thing I've done so far, but I think it looks pretty good. I ordered the tint form AM and it's easy to do; it took me about 30 minutes to do all four. I don't have a heat gun so I used my wife's blow dryer.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:37 AM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

Looks good... My AM tint looked like a kid cut it
Old 04-30-2012, 07:46 AM
BKamp613
2nd Gear Member

VHT Niteshade FTW.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:03 AM
JayyVee
2nd Gear Member

looks good - Murdered silvers, unite!

BTW anyone reading this, I have a pair of front 10+ marker tints extra, yours for $5 + shipping. (I got a headlight tint kit and it came with extra front corner tints that I don't need) The ones I had from AM already are holding well, not worried about needing backups..

VHT looks good as well and is permanent, but I like the idea of being able to peel it off if needed, to avoid a ticket from an overly-aggressive po-po. Instead of replacing and entire light assembly.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:38 AM
BKamp613
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JayyVee
VHT looks good as well and is permanent, but I like the idea of being able to peel it off if needed, to avoid a ticket from an overly-aggressive po-po. Instead of replacing and entire light assembly.
It'll come off with goof off or something other paint remover. I had it all over my previous car and the dealer wiped it off when I traded it in.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:16 AM
JayyVee
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BKamp613
It'll come off with goof off or something other paint remover. I had it all over my previous car and the dealer wiped it off when I traded it in.
Really? Well +1 for good info, I'd always heard once VHT was on, it was permanent. Good to know there 'is' a way to get it off if needed then! (Goop Off? Sorta like Orange cleaner?)
Old 04-30-2012, 12:03 PM
BKamp613
2nd Gear Member

Really? Well +1 for good info, I'd always heard once VHT was on, it was permanent. Good to know there 'is' a way to get it off if needed then! (Goop Off? Sorta like Orange cleaner?)
Couldn't tell ya what the dealer used, but I'd assume it was just rubbing alcohol or something.

Goof off is good for removing sticker residue and other gunk.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:56 AM
YerBuddy
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BKamp613
I did not know that either. Good info...thanks!
Old 05-01-2012, 04:42 AM
hwm3
3rd Gear Member

Looks great. Car is coming together nicely.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:26 AM
Blue70
2nd Gear Member

Results may vary..... If part was properly cleaned and prepped it should be permanent.

Straight from VHT's page it says
"Warning: Once applied to a plastic lens, VHT Nite-Shades™ cannot be satisfactorily removed."

I have used it many times, and on a Grand Cherokee I did I got a sag and it was a bit too dark, so I tried removing it so I could redo it, and that stuff would NOT "wipe off" with paint thinner, acetone, lacquer thinner, goof off, mineral spirits, etc.. I tried everything in the cabinet here at the shop. I had a very hard time removing it, and when I did, the chemicals started to whiten the red lens and made it very dull.. Of course you could not tell once the VHT nite-shades was reapplied..

Only way that stuff will "wipe right off" is if the part was not prepped properly before applying the VHT. Most people have to work it with thinner/remover of some sort, then wetsand and polish the lens again to bring a gloss back to it

Quick Reply: Tinted Side Markers