Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

RTR chin spoiler help...

Old 07-01-2012, 08:48 AM
-rpark-
1st Gear Member

Default RTR chin spoiler help...

What to do...what to do. Bought the RTR body package from American Muscle and finally got around to getting it installed.

It looked awesome until the first time i drove it and let it sit in the parking lot sun all day and then the chin spoiler and body separated where the tape held them together.

Any ideas on how to fix it?

drivers side:

passengers side:

here are some stock photos so you can see how it goes together. It stick on the painted part of the body up higher than the factory chin spoiler went.

Its frustrating when you buy a new car, drop a bunch of cash on parts, and then it looks like a ratted out civic with body parts falling off, lol.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:28 AM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by -rpark-
What to do...what to do. Bought the RTR body package from American Muscle and finally got around to getting it installed.

It looked awesome until the first time i drove it and let it sit in the parking lot sun all day and then the chin spoiler and body separated where the tape held them together.

Any ideas on how to fix it?

drivers side:

passengers side:

Its frustrating when you buy a new car, drop a bunch of cash on parts, and then it looks like a ratted out civic with body parts falling off, lol.
rpark,

I apologize for the inconvenience with your RTR Kit. I know how frustrating it can be when you get your new parts & things like this occur. This seems like a pretty simple fix, I am going to get you taken care of.

From what I can see, its obvious the 3M tape is not holding tight enough. There is a few crucial parts to this install, one being the surface has to be completely clean & wiped down with the included alcohol wipes. The other thing is if the 3M tape touches your finger tips, the adhesive completely looses its grip.

These are just a few things off the top of my head, Shoot me a PM with your order #. I am going to have one of my best guys contact you directly to get this issue resolved!

Thank you for sticking it out with us while we got you taken care of, we greatly appreciate it!

- Dan
Old 07-03-2012, 10:25 AM
bones302
2nd Gear Member

I would just run new 3m strips on there. not a big issue, but you really need to make sure the surface is clean. Not CDC's fault, but you also can't install it when it's too hot outside because you have to kinda let the tape cure a little.

have the same spoiler on my GT.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:49 AM
-rpark-
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by AMDanBailer
rpark,

I apologize for the inconvenience with your RTR Kit. I know how frustrating it can be when you get your new parts & things like this occur. This seems like a pretty simple fix, I am going to get you taken care of.

From what I can see, its obvious the 3M tape is not holding tight enough. There is a few crucial parts to this install, one being the surface has to be completely clean & wiped down with the included alcohol wipes. The other thing is if the 3M tape touches your finger tips, the adhesive completely looses its grip.

These are just a few things off the top of my head, Shoot me a PM with your order #. I am going to have one of my best guys contact you directly to get this issue resolved!

Thank you for sticking it out with us while we got you taken care of, we greatly appreciate it!

- Dan
thanks dan. i believe i will be able to fix it permanently with a few pieces from the hardware store.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:51 AM
-rpark-
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by bones302
I would just run new 3m strips on there. not a big issue, but you really need to make sure the surface is clean. Not CDC's fault, but you also can't install it when it's too hot outside because you have to kinda let the tape cure a little.

have the same spoiler on my GT.
the surface was cleaned spotless with the alcohol pads and the 3m sticky surface was not touched.

i installed it the night before and drove it to work that morning. it was a little pulled back when i got to work...but at the end of sitting in the sun all day is when it really separated.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:55 AM
-rpark-
1st Gear Member

i took the whole front end off in once piece and examined it.

being off, im going to drill some 1/4 inch holes along the front fascia and the lip of the rtr chin spoiler and tighten up the chin spoiler directly to the fascia.

there should be no way of it separating then.

it looks like it should be a pretty easy task with the whole front end off in one piece.

im working some crazy hours this summer, so it might be a few weeks until i get it done.

ill post pics as i work on it for anyone interested.

rob

Old 07-09-2012, 04:13 PM
-rpark-
1st Gear Member

Got er done this morning and I'm pretty happy with the results. I hope to get the front end put back on wednesday evening.

anyway, it costs about 12 bucks in stainless hardware from ace, but it is a permanent solution.

there is still a slight gap..but thats just were the tape stops...but thats the way it is supposed to be.

Last edited by -rpark-; 07-09-2012 at 04:16 PM.