Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

AMR Rims FIASCO

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 06:07 AM
MADSCOTSMAN
2nd Gear Member

Default AMR Rims FIASCO

Let me start by givng American Mucsle SOME props before moving on with my horror story, they have been pretty helpful and stepped up to the plate in an effort to make things right for me.

I ordered a set of the 18x8 charcoal grey wheels and brought them up to my local Tire Barn to get the stock Pirelli's taken off my stock rims and mounted on them. When the shop went to test fit the rims before removing my tires from the stock rims, they would not fit on my 2013 GT. The inside center holes that go over the axle ends (behind the center caps), were not big enough for the axel ends to fit through so the rims did not sit flush against the hub (they could slide a screwdriver in the gap between the hub and rim . After a call with AM and some conversations with the shop manager, they were sure they could grind down either the rims or the hub's to get them to fit correctly (they had apparently had to do this on a few other mustangs and camaros). On the phone, the guy at AM agreed that should be OK (the hub grinding, not the rims). I was able to get the rims installed, but Tire Barn broke one of the center caps trying to forcefully remove it from the inside (cracked the face of it in half because it was stuck in the rim and would not come out). After the call to and discussion with AM verifying that I had ordered and received the correct rim size for my car, they are now sending me a replacement set of center caps at no charge because of the fittment issues I had, which they really didn't have to do.

After the install was complete and I paid my bill, I went out to the car to leave and the TPMS light was on. The tech had forgotten to change out the valve stems that I paid for, so the car had to go back into the shop again and have all the beads broke on the tires AGAIN, to replace the valve stems. After nearly 4 hours, I was finally on my way home with the new rims (They look friggin awsome by the way).

I was able to get the car washed yesterday (rained the day of install, and all day the next day) and now I find that Tire Barn chipped the rims (very small chips, but they were flawless and new when I brought them in) in several places around the lug holes on 2 of them, as well as a small scratch along the inside of the outside lip of the rim on a third (it's about 1/4" long between the tire and the rim, so there is no way they could say I curbbed it). After a call to Tire Barn yesterday, the store manager agreed to foot the bill for repairing the chips on the rim (sight unseen), but I cannot locate touch up paint to match the wheels anywhere. Apparently these rims are made overseas somewhere and it is difficult for AM to get any type of paint code for them. It seems like alot of people on here have these rims so surely there is a need for touchup paint for these, or perhaps someone else knows of a similar color they have used for there set?? The chips and scratch are very minimal IMO, so I do not want to go through any resolution that would require me to have to get the tires taken off and remounted again (I would have to get them put back on the stock rims then back on a new set of rims again, or taken off and put back on the current rims after a total respray ). The stock tires have already been mounted 3x (1x factory rims, 2x's with my Tire Barn Fiasco), and i'm not sure if there is a limit to the number of times a tire can be stretched on and off of a rim before it causes fitment issues??? Can anyone help with a source/means for getting a color matched can of touch up paint for these. AM has informed me it will be available sometime in the future, but I really need to get the chips/scratches taken care of while TireBarn is willing to pay for it now.

TIA
Bryan

Name:  IMG_7839.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  80.7 KB
Name:  IMG_7838.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  80.3 KB
Name:  IMG_7836.jpg
Views: 719
Size:  113.9 KB

Last edited by MADSCOTSMAN; 11-02-2012 at 11:45 PM.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:02 PM
conejo172
4th Gear Member

TBH I didn't waste my time reading your biography, but will say that those wheels looks awesome on your car. Perfect for the color of your car
Old 11-08-2012, 06:43 PM
07GrabU
2nd Gear Member

You should change the title of this thread to Tire Barn Fiasco. Sorry to hear about your troubles.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:14 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

You'd probably be best off calling AM customer service and seeing if they can locate a paint code for you (unless you already have), otherwise I would suggest you take the rim(s) to a shop that specializes in rim repair and ask them to see what they can do. I'm sure they could fix the chips with the tires still on, and match the paint as best they can in house.

Car looks great by the way, what part of IN are you in? I'm from the carmel area myself, haven't seen many mustangs (let alone ones as nice as yours) around there.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:32 PM
Dharma

Well, that pic has sold me on the charcoal AMRs for my '13. Instead of a car that looks like it wants to scare your children and eat your pets, it looks like a car that will sneak up on your kids to scare them and then eat your pets.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:11 AM
MADSCOTSMAN
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by aaquib1992
Car looks great by the way, what part of IN are you in? I'm from the carmel area myself, haven't seen many mustangs (let alone ones as nice as yours) around there.
Thanks, I live in the north side of Noblesville.
Just wanted to provide an update as many others seem to have these rims. I found a Dupli-color touch-up paint at my local Advanced Auto, that matched my wheels perfectly. The color that matched ended up being a GM paint color called "Storm Gray Metallic". The code for this is "NG GM 522". Hopefully this information will be beneficial to others with the same rims, I know I always like to have touch up paint for all paint on my cars.

Last edited by MADSCOTSMAN; 11-11-2012 at 03:53 AM.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:31 PM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

I had those rims on my 2011, in 19". They chip easily. At install they chipped the lip at the Ford Dealer. Then after doing multiple upgrades to the suspension/brakes the socket holes were all fudged up.

looks awesome, but paint durability is for ****e.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:54 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

that or the dealership took zero care. powdercoated wheels should really be uninstalled manually without air tools, with a padded key ... (tape around the key/socket will do the trick). chances are they just hooked it up to their air gun and plowed em without giving a ****.

need to be very specific with dealerships or they will treat your car like any other car that they process quickly.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:12 AM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Entaille
that or the dealership took zero care. powdercoated wheels should really be uninstalled manually without air tools, with a padded key ... (tape around the key/socket will do the trick). chances are they just hooked it up to their air gun and plowed em without giving a ****.

need to be very specific with dealerships or they will treat your car like any other car that they process quickly.
That usually is the case... I may just buy the padded key socket and give it to them with the wheel lock key when I get my next set of rims. No shop will do it manually, if you even ask they would probably look at your like you're nuts.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:32 AM
m1215

I'm looking at getting these wheels for my 2013 GT. So if I get this right, you have to grind the hub or rim to get these on?

Quick Reply: AMR Rims FIASCO