Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

Finally dipped my whole car

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 01:53 PM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ZPounds07GT
Nobody realizes how hard it will be to remove this stuff after it is baked on. I had my hood done for a year (didn't intend on it being that long but it ended up being that long). When I tried to remove it, it was coming off like sand. It didn't peal off like it did once before after it was done for about a week.

I hope this won't be the case if you plan to take it off. A wrap would have looked better though and been more durable and probably easier to take off after some time of sitting.
I'm willing to bet the simple solution to this would be to plastidip over the older layer...let it cure for a day...then peel it all off in one sheet.

Just my 2 cents since I am familiar with painting cars. The older PD will just bond with the new layer.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:33 PM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by xenocide
Hey guys, just a little update. I peeled the car the other day and the paint work is perfect. The plasti dip actually saved me from having about 5 chips in the paint from rocks/debris hitting the car. Here is a quick shot.
The paint still looks perfect to me! Nice job at the beginning to dip the car, and it looks like it peeled off OK. Was the plasti-dip brittle and difficult to remove or did it come off in large pieces the way it was intended?

What color are you going with next?
Old 11-21-2013, 03:01 PM
numnutz

Default Cunjoes

Originally Posted by Matt's 95 Stang
Not my cup of tea but to each their own.

Matthew
Whether you like it or not; you gotta admit, it took a lotta ***** to put that picture on here!!!!!!!!
Old 11-22-2013, 12:25 AM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by xenocide

THAT LOOKS SO MUCH BETTER.

****ing plastidip.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:20 AM
xenocide
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BrazenStang
The paint still looks perfect to me! Nice job at the beginning to dip the car, and it looks like it peeled off OK. Was the plasti-dip brittle and difficult to remove or did it come off in large pieces the way it was intended?

What color are you going with next?
most of it peeled off fine some spots I sprayed a little too thin and it took a bit to get it off.

I think I might go with an anthracite grey with pearlizer in it next time.

Here is more eye candy.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:46 AM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

The dipped look was actually pretty cool. Regardless of what the haters were saying. It is after all the same flat uniform colors that are now becoming popular in the After market appearance mods. The fact that you did it yourself was actually even better. Makes you think that this is a really easy way to winterize a daily driver. It protects the painted layer beneath it.

I would be interested in a complete plastidip of my vehicle from bumper to bumper if there is a clearcoat option or perhaps transparent options? Then part of winterizing would involve a mat finish coat for the winter months. Then peel and go for the summer.

Maybe even in the summer months...plastidipping the front fascia and lower fenders and quarters behind the wheel wells in some kind of faded look. To protect against bug guts and gravel. Its quick...easy and a DIY kind of thing.

It did look like the same effect Ford Racing applies to their Cobra Jet race cars when you plastidipped your whole ride. It was actually very well done and could have been left well enough alone and made a real stand out statement or you could have went artistic and expressed yourself further with intricate pin-stripes over the plastidp for total one-off custom look. With so many mustangs in this world...self expression and uniqueness is a very welcome change. After all how many red Mustangs like yours are there out there? What about all the Ford mustang decals that we've all seen time and again? When it was Plastidipped... It looked cool and stood out....and was definitely making a unique statement.

If you decide to do it again. I for one will be happy to see it. And curious to see what color you go with next.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:53 PM
pkugrsq
1st Gear Member

I'm not the type to judge what color's people's cars are or how it got it's color. I appreciate mine for being it's factory black, I couldn't settle for the oxford white. But I am eventually going to plasti-dip my rims a tri-tone silver/black/red. But any future installments would be closer to testing than actual permanent stuff.

Plasti-Dip is big, and much more preferred than DupliColor or any of those spray cans. Though I've read that the glossifier is terrible. Use it at your own risk.

The hardest part is spraying it on because of the texture/flow it may have for spraying too far/close, respectively.

Anyways, I think you're car is nice. I was always a fan of the matte finish.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:46 AM
Boaisy
1st Gear Member

To the haters, Plasti-Dip is actually preferred in the aftermarket because it is a removable paint much like Vinyl-wrapping, but easier. If you don't like it, it simply peels off with no damage to the original paint. Since it is pretty much a spray on rubber (dirty), it adds protection, doesn't come off in the car wash (or at high speeds), and you can do a ton of color combinations. It is starting to become the preferred method of repaint rather than taking it to a body shop and paying almost $3,000 for a permanent job. Not all plasti-dip jobs are left flat, there is a clear coat option available, and there is even a spray on tint for lights (again easily removable).

Old 12-02-2013, 12:52 AM
Boaisy
1st Gear Member

EDIT: internet messed up
Old 12-06-2013, 12:02 AM
1SilverGT
1st Gear Member

Maybe this platidipped car will change your minds, about platidipping a car
Name:  image-9.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  106.5 KB

Quick Reply: Finally dipped my whole car