Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

Need help with Vinyl top and mold

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 07:20 PM
Backdoctor

Default Need help with Vinyl top and mold

My fiance bought a 2010 V6 with vinyl top. She has cleaned it with raggtops and sealed it regularly. We live in florida and it has been raining a LOT. We have noticed there is some mold forming by the seams. We clean it but it comes back. Is there any safe way to kill the mold? I thought bleach may harm the top. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks
Old 10-31-2011, 07:55 AM
D'prived
4th Gear Member

Are you talking convertable top? I wouldn't use bleach on anything on my car. Take a look at some of these products.

http://www.superiorcarcare.net/how-t...tible-top.html
Old 11-02-2011, 06:44 AM
Backdoctor

Its a vinyl top. I didnt think bleach was a good idea. Have used Raggtops numerous times. the mold comes back.

How do we kill the mold spores?
Old 11-02-2011, 05:50 PM
captbill51

try RAMMO... You can find it online. It stands for Removes All Mold Mildew Odors.

Simple spray on rinse off..Lasts for months. Used it when I kept my trimaran in Florida for the winter.

Good luck,

Bill
Old 02-12-2014, 05:24 PM
EatYourTv

but you dont just want to remove the odor of mold or mildew.....you need to remove the mold or mildew entirely, without damaging the material.

i had an extremely potent smell of mildew that was absolutely horrendous! At first i thought it was the a/c, then i thought maybe the carpet got wet....after rigorous sniffing and feeling around, i discovered that the smell was actually coming from the compartment that the ragtop goes down into when the roof is open. febreeze masked the smell for a day or two, but lord knows it did nothing to fix the actual problem. I was heartbroken thinking my christmas gift from my partner might have some toxic issue that would make it unbearable to drive around in! I LOVE my mustang!
finally i bought a product at the local supermarket called Greased Lightening. To be honest i cannot even find the ingredients on the bottle, but i have to tell you, once i sprayed some on a cloth and rubbed it over just the part of the ragtop that is connected to to compartment itself, the mildew i couldn't see (my top is jet black) came off in huge masses, and my biggest concern was that the cleaner would eat away at the material or bleach out the color, and it didn't do any damage at all! The stench is GONE!
i hope it works for you also! BUT! as with any cleaning product, you should ALWAYS test a small inconspicuous area first to make sure the chemicals aren't going to damage your materials!!!
good luck!