Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

2014 DIY

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 07:03 PM
GT=GettinTan

Default 2014 DIY

My GT vert got a visit from some texting chicky-baby. Sadly, the GT is no more. Luckily, my daughters and I walked away damage-free.

I picked up a new 2014 V6 coupe last year. No one drives stick any more so I got it cheap.

Over the months I've had it, I felt it was missing some finishing touches (yes, yes, I can already hear some of you now, "Like ... TWO CYLINDERS!" True, true, but the 32MPG I get on the highway doesn't encourage me to miss those two cylinders...).

Anyway, below are some of the changes I made. These are all made by me, in my home. It took a lot of measuring and many prototypes using different materials.

The pictures show:
Hood: "FORD" in chrome decals
Dashboard: "MUSTANG" in chrome 'dome tag'
Dashboard: closer view
Dashboard: chrome decal strip on the 12V port
Rear deck lid: "MUSTANG" in chrome decals

I'm working on the sill plates this week. The wheels... I might pull those off and touch them up a little too.
Attached Thumbnails 2014 DIY-front.jpg   2014 DIY-dash_full.jpg   2014 DIY-dash_close.jpg   2014 DIY-12v.jpg   2014 DIY-back.jpg  

Old 05-27-2014, 07:12 PM
GT=GettinTan

I'm not sure if I posted the pictures correctly in my most. I can't access them. I did upload them to my "photo album" though.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:22 PM
Mr Nice Guy
1st Gear Member

I can see 'em. I like the interior stuff. Exterior lettering is not my thing but it looks like you did a good job applying them.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:06 AM
GT=GettinTan

Default grrrr

Okay. I'm sorry about the pictures not working. I'll... try to get those pictures posted again. It's not like it is impossible to screw up - pick a file, click a button, wait - the system says they're all there. But then no one can get to them (not even me)!

I'd rather have pictures that work than a bunch of icons and "smilies." Sort of like my preference for having a car that runs over one that looks really good, with all the bells and whistles, sitting in the dealer's service bay.

As a side note, the hood and trunk letters were originally black reflective tape - the stuff police cars use. During the day, you wouldn't see them, but at night they'd light up like Mechagodzilla's eyes.

So, here we go, one more time, this time as PNG.
Attached Thumbnails 2014 DIY-12v.png   2014 DIY-back.png   2014 DIY-dash_close.png   2014 DIY-dash_full.png   2014 DIY-front.png  

Old 05-28-2014, 03:02 AM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

I can see the pics. Mr Nice Guy can't see them because it takes 50 posts to be able to see attachments. If you want to make them visible to everyone, OP, then upload the pics to Photobucket then copy the Image URL into the mountain icon box in the reply box.

Btw, the mods look good, especially the one on the trunk.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:14 AM
Mr Nice Guy
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tanner05
I can see the pics. Mr Nice Guy can't see them because it takes 50 posts to be able to see attachments. If you want to make them visible to everyone, OP, then upload the pics to Photobucket then copy the Image URL into the mountain icon box in the reply box.

Btw, the mods look good, especially the one on the trunk.
I CAN see the pics
Old 06-01-2014, 10:04 AM
jb26port

I like that dash badge. Where did you get that from?
Old 06-01-2014, 02:02 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

Ditto on the dash badge. I want one.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:49 PM
GT=GettinTan

I made it. Actually, I made *several* on the way to making the one you see, because I had no clue what I was doing. It took a lot of learning, a lot of measuring, a lot of screwing up, a lot of driving around to find materials, some eBay materials purchasing, and a lot of bits of crap laying around the house to get that one. I did this because 1) I hate the way the dash looks without it and 2) I wanted to learn something new! As a by-product, I have the process, materials and the cutting files down. The one in the car is one of two. The other one has a thicker coating, but a flaw creeped in (okay, a bread crumb got into the goo) so I couldn't use it.

I'm going to do the same thing for the sill plates: black plates with the same painted aluminum look on the wheels for the 'MUSTANG' and the border.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:58 PM
GT=GettinTan

The rear deck lid letters are version 3.

V1: black reflective - really cool at McDonald's drive-thru at night, but no where else
V2: silver, but larger letters, and not spread as far apart as V3
V3: smaller letters, spread out to the bends

V3 was the first version that didn't catch my eye in a, "that's homemade/wrong," sort of way. It looks production (to me).

All three versions were also learning experiences. I mean, just figuring out the quickest, safest and most reliable way to space the letters - I'm not a body shop guy so I haven't a clue how they do it. And I didn't have a film that long I could cut as a backing. For obvious reasons, I wasn't about to take any hard-edged surface (like a measuring tape or ruler or micrometer) to my car's finish. In the end, folded paper tape did the job and it was deadly accurate.

Quick Reply: 2014 DIY