Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

2014 V6 Bullitt Grill Installation Guide/Tips

Old 07-16-2014, 10:27 PM
yourmom6990
4th Gear Member

Talking 2014 V6 Billet Grill Installation Guide/Tips

Okay so i received my upper and lower Billet grille today for my 2014 v6. AM had this on sale this month for $155. I'm very pleased with this grille because it really cleans up the look and has 100% better air flow to keep things cool. Here's a couple pictures of the finished product..

I believe the instructions that AM sent were for the 2011-2012 V6 mustangs because it was a different set up. If you're going to purchase this grille for your mustang and have a 2014 V6..listen up... (this may be for the 2013 V6s as well..)

The front bumper cover needs to come off. The instructions that AM sent to take off the bumper cover followed protocol pretty dead on except one of the last steps when you're taking off the "3" 7mm bolts under the car next to the plastic oil cover, there are actually 5 not three. The other two are located on each side right by the tire...

Once you have the bumper cover off make sure you disconnect the wires for the parking lights and fog lights(if equipped). Also, make sure to unhook the temperature sensor located behind the lower grille on the right side. I couldn't disconnect it so I just unhooked it from the bumper cover.

Lay down some towels on the grass (or where ever you'd like) for the bumper cover so you don't scratch it up. (The instructions explain how to take the cover off.)

Once the cover is off, you are now ready to remove the grille from the bumper cover. There are two ways to do this, you can remove the whole outer grille surround assembly at once, or remove the chrome(intermediate) housing first and then the outer grille surround later. Each of them is held in by lock tabs. I chose option 2..I removed the Chrome (intermediate) grille housing first because it was easier to get to. The chrome grille (intermediate) is held in by multiple lock tabs. I used a flat head screwdriver and slowly unhooked the tabs until the grille came out. Make sure to start on one side and then work your way across. When unhooked, the chrome housing (with the honeycomb grille) will come out the front of the bumper cover. Be careful not to scratch the paint!!!

Once you have the chrome (intermediate) grille out, it is time to remove the honeycomb from the chrome housing. The honeycomb grille is also held in by tabs. Honestly, I wasted a good half hour trying to figure out how to get this honeycomb grille out without breaking all of the tabs and it seemed impossible so I ended up breaking the little tabs anyway so I can get the grille out. DO NOT WORRY!! you will not be using these tabs at all. Break away!! (Unless you're going to reinstall the stock honeycomb grille later on.. If this is the case... Goodluck.)

After the honey comb grille is removed, the chrome housing is where the Bullitt grille is going to fit. The instructions say to insert the two lower tabs into the housing first, but the 2014 mustangs DO NOT HAVE the lower tabs. So you are going to have to drill 4 holes into the Chrome housing.

Center the Bullitt Grille into the chrome housing and mark the four spots with a sharpie (I actually used my pocket knife to carve a tiny mark on the outer part of the chrome housing) 2 marks on top and two marks on bottom. Use a 3/16" drill bit and drill out the four holes.

Use the supplied hardware that came with the Upper Bullitt Grille to attach the Bullitt to the chrome housing. Slip the metal U-nut (flat side touching chrome part of the housing) over one of the four tabs on the Bullitt grille and insert the screw through the hole you drilled on the chrome grille then through the U-nut and tighten down. It may take a little bit of finagling to line it up properly. Repeat for the other three screws until the bullitt grille is securely tightened in the chrome housing.

Now, you can try to slip the chrome housing with the Bullitt grille back through the front of the bumper cover. I wouldn't recommend if, but if you do it this way, make sure not to scratch your paint (maybe lay some tape down) and that all of the tabs are locked in place. I actually ended up taking off the outer grille surround assembly at this point because I didn't want to scratch the bumper. This outer grille surround is again, held in by the dreadful tabs so make sure you use a flat head screwdriver and work your way from one side to the other. Be patient because you do not want to break these tabs. Once I got the outer grille surround out, I inserted the Chrome housing (w Bullitt grille attached) into the outer grille surround and locked it in place making sure all the tabs were secure. At this point, you should have three pieces (outer grill surround, chrome housing (intermediate), and bullitt grille) securely locked together. Now you can insert the whole assembly back onto the bumper cover from the rear side. Again, make sure all the lock tabs are holding firmly. The upper grille is complete.

The instructions for the lower grille are pretty straight forward. The only problem I had is that AM sent me some faulty toggle bolts (probably made in china) and I had to go to the hardware store and purchase new toggle bolts to make sure they held the lower grille on firmly. Also had to paint them black because the silver wouldn't have looked very appealing. (BTW, I called American Muscle and told them about the faulty bolts and how this was the second time I've had to go out and buy my own hardware and they gave me a $15 credit, So shout out to AM for pleasing a returning customer! Thank you!)

Once you have the upper and lower grille installed, you can put the bumper cover back on and tighten everything back up. Put your tools away, close the hood, wipe her down, and stand back and admire the beauty! Then go purchase more parts

I didn't take very many pictures so these instructions may seem a bit confusing, but once you see AMs supplied instructions as well as the physical pieces, you will have a greater understanding of the install. Took me a bit over two hours from start to finish which is pretty good considering I had to figure most of this out lol. If you have any questions at all, feel free to ask.

Good luck and drive safely.

-Wes

Last edited by yourmom6990; 07-17-2014 at 01:02 PM.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:57 AM
TheDivaDanielle
3rd Gear Member

It's a billet grille, not a "Bullitt" grille, btw. also the upper and lower grilles can simply be removed with a firm tug.

also in your sig, that's supposed to be fiend not feign. feign is to pretend something.

I'm totally happy you are happy with the grille, I know a lot of people go with it.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:41 AM
yourmom6990
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle
It's a billet grille, not a "Bullitt" grille, btw. also the upper and lower grilles can simply be removed with a firm tug.

also in your sig, that's supposed to be fiend not feign. feign is to pretend something.

I'm totally happy you are happy with the grille, I know a lot of people go with it.
Thank you for all of your corrections. You remind me of my freshman college english professor. She was a major control freak.

There is no way to remove the upper grille with a nice tug without breaking the clips and/or scratching up the front bumper. Not only that, but putting it back in correctly into all the tabs would be extremely hard. It's 100x easier/safer to remove the front bumper. And you don't have to remove the lower grille.. which tells me you have no idea what you're talking about other than your snobby grammatical corrections. To each his own.

Last edited by yourmom6990; 07-17-2014 at 08:55 AM.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:17 PM
TheDivaDanielle
3rd Gear Member

truthfully was trying to help.

back when my car was new and had black stripes, I installed the GT/CS black billet grilles. I merely assuming you installed them too.
this to:

this:

and as I said the stock grilles came off with a firm tug. Maybe the v6 is different.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:54 PM
yourmom6990
4th Gear Member

Looks great! The tri-bar emblem accents the stripes very well.

Yes, the GT is a different setup. The V6s have a chrome housing around the honeycomb grille unlike the GTs. Pulling it out from the front would cause the chrome housing to scratch up the front bumper which is why removal of the bumper cover is a must.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:08 PM
AMAlexLazarus
Former Sponsor

OP,

Thanks again for posting this across a few forums! This write-up is great! I'm really loving the before and after as well . This really ties the front end together nicely!

Danielle,

That's a gorgeous Vert!

If either of you don't have our forums code shoot me a PM so I can get you set up!

Alex
Old 07-17-2014, 06:37 PM
yourmom6990
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AMAlexLazarus
OP,

Thanks again for posting this across a few forums! This write-up is great! I'm really loving the before and after as well . This really ties the front end together nicely!

Alex
Agreed! I wish Ford would do away with that cheap looking honeycomb
Old 07-17-2014, 09:06 PM
JimC

Originally Posted by yourmom6990

There is no way to remove the upper grille with a nice tug without breaking the clips and/or scratching up the front bumper.

and as I said the stock grilles came off with a firm tug. Maybe the v6 is different.
V6 isn't any different, and yes you can remove the grilles without breaking tabs. When CDC put my performance grille in all they did was tape off the bumper cover to protect, and pulled firmly straight back. No broken tabs, and the new grille slid right into place without breaking any tabs. No need to remove the bumper cover to replace it.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:35 PM
yourmom6990
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
V6 isn't any different, and yes you can remove the grilles without breaking tabs. When CDC put my performance grille in all they did was tape off the bumper cover to protect, and pulled firmly straight back. No broken tabs, and the new grille slid right into place without breaking any tabs. No need to remove the bumper cover to replace it.
Interesting. I guess taking it out from the front seems plausible. Thanks for the input. You're talking about a different grille though. So install might be different or may not. Having someone install it and installing yourself are two different directions which is why I preferred the safe route because I did not want to risk damage.

Last edited by yourmom6990; 07-17-2014 at 09:44 PM.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:10 AM
AMAlexLazarus
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by yourmom6990
Agreed! I wish Ford would do away with that cheap looking honeycomb
You and me both! I think it's one of those things that's sort of dying out but luckily we have a slew of options to tailor our cars any way we see fit! Having installed a few of these here and even on Project Coyote I know they can definitely be a pain. As long as you're working slow and smooth you shouldn't see any issues but jeez some of the OE hardware is brittle!

Alex

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2014 V6 Bullitt Grill Installation Guide/Tips