Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

Can you replace a plastic window with glass in 2010 GT Convertible?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 09:54 AM
Mustang Sally72

Default Can you replace a plastic window with glass in 2010 GT Convertible?

This is my first convertible and I really dislike the smaller distorted plastic window. Is it possible to convert to glass? I don't care if rear defrost works or not. The black sailcloth top I have is in excellent condition so I'd rather not replace the entire top unless that's my only option. Thanks!

Old 08-08-2015, 10:31 AM
chrisdbassplayer
2nd Gear Member

hmm news to me my 07 back was glass and my current 14 is glass and my friends 2010 convertible is glass as well are you sure it isnt glass?
Old 08-08-2015, 06:53 PM
Mustang Sally72

Default Its definitely plastic ;-)

Maybe the top was replaced with the cheaper option. Its loaded otherwise.
Old 08-08-2015, 07:14 PM
JimC

The rear windows in all Mustang convertibles are glass and have been for a long time.

Does yours' have the rear defroster lines in it? If so, then it is glass. If not, then someone replaced the top and used something very different.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:31 PM
Mustang Sally72

Default Definitely not glass!

No rear defroster lines, not glass. It has a few marks in the plastic & would flex if I poke it with my finger. I may be a girl... but not stupid. ;-)
Old 08-08-2015, 11:18 PM
chrisdbassplayer
2nd Gear Member

Wow then you got me I havent heard of a plastic rear window.
Old 08-09-2015, 07:49 AM
JimC

Not meant to imply you are stupid, asking a question since you didn't post a picture of the actual window, didn't give us much detail, and you said something about the rear defroster. And I would have said the same thing in this instance whether you were male or female.

So no defroster and you added information about the window itself flexing. So someone replaced the top at some point with a cheap version. I believe that the only way to replace the window is to replace the top - they aren't separate units. You do not have a factory installed window.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:50 AM
Never2mucHP
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
Not meant to imply you are stupid, asking a question since you didn't post a picture of the actual window, didn't give us much detail, and you said something about the rear defroster. And I would have said the same thing in this instance whether you were male or female.

So no defroster and you added information about the window itself flexing. So someone replaced the top at some point with a cheap version. I believe that the only way to replace the window is to replace the top - they aren't separate units. You do not have a factory installed window.
+1. My 05 vert and now my 14 vert both have glass windows. Your 2010 certainly should, so at some point it was replaced with a cheaper option. My suggestion would be to talk to your dealer and see if they can replace just the window. i would imagine that you would need to replace the whole top though...
Old 08-09-2015, 03:28 PM
BlindGUYnAR
2nd Gear Member

I bet the top is original, but somehow the original glass broke and since you said it's flexible they wedged a piece of plex in there instead of replacing the top. I don't think just the glass is replaceable.

You can probably do the same thing and get a new piece installed to clear it up, but the issue will return unless you replace the whole whole top to get back to glass.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:16 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

I bet the top is original, but somehow the original glass broke and since you said it's flexible they wedged a piece of plex in there instead of replacing the top. I don't think just the glass is replaceable.
I had that happen to me once-I broke the glass window and could not afford a new top. I was able to have a plastic window installed for about $200.00-a new top was about $1,500. The plastic window sucked.

Quick Reply: Can you replace a plastic window with glass in 2010 GT Convertible?