Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

window tint issues?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 09:24 AM
chrisdbassplayer
2nd Gear Member

Default window tint issues?

I have 20% tint all around on my mustang. Originally I was going to get 35% which is legal but the tint installer talked me into 20 and said I wouldnt get pulled over for 20%. He then showed me his car on the lot with 5% all the way around. So far so good but most of the time the top is down when we have it out of the garage. My question is to others who have theirs tinted have they had much issue? I was reading on a police forum board how they love to pull over people with illegal tint from out of state and ticket them. We travel alot with this car and after reading some things today I have started getting a little more concerned about the tint getting me ticketed during trips. Anyone have any problems with their tint getting them into trouble?

Name:  side%20tint_zpskwia9own.jpg
Views: 18138
Size:  267.1 KB
Old 09-26-2015, 09:37 AM
Rob@Evolution
Former Sponsor

It depends on the state. In PA we aren't allowed any tint lower then 75% on the driver and passenger front windows. Talking to officers in the area they tell me as long as they can see movement inside the car they're not going to bust your chops but it does give them a reason to check you out if they wanted to. I have 20% all the way around and so far so good. Even if they did stop you it's only a fix warning unless the officer is a real cowboy.
Old 10-05-2015, 04:58 PM
dkpGTCS
2nd Gear Member

I agree it depends on where you're at. I have 18% on my convertible that's located in the San Diego area. I know of very few people that have been stopped only for tint - normally it's an add on ticket for doing something else such as speeding.

I also belong to the SD Mustang Club & we had a CHP officer at one meeting. He was stating they usually leave it alone but he enjoys the folks that roll down their windows when they see him - especially when it's raining. He stated he looked for the people that were not only speeding but weaving in and out of traffic.

I have 20% on my Focus ST that's back in Missouri. Now there I have a greater chance of getting stopped but for the most part it's the highway patrol that will get you there. Local police typically leave most people alone - they have more important things to worry about.

In short there is no real answer. However in most cases (that I'm aware of) it's a fix it ticket - just remove it and you're ready to go (my installer has a cheap 'insurance' policy where if it happens to me then he'll reapply super cheap).

I wouldn't lose sleep over it.
Old 10-08-2015, 09:18 AM
MADSCOTSMAN
2nd Gear Member

Pretty sure you cannot get a ticket in another state for having window tint on your car that is legal in the state in which the car is registered.... So cross country trips shouldn't be an issue. I got multiple tickets in IL when I lived there because then (not sure if it's changed), ANY tint on the front side windows was illegal. I live in Indiana now and 35% is legal on the front. I have 5% on the back 3 and 20% on the front 2 and have not had any issues with PO. Seems like in most instances the window tint tickets come when you are pulled over for something else first rather than just stopping you for tinted windows.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:53 PM
chrisdbassplayer
2nd Gear Member

its 35% in IL none on the front. I typically do not speed too much or make dangerous moves while driving. I just wondered if anyone has had any issues with window tint. I was selling some old parts of my 07 and went to meet a guy 40 min north of where I live. He was late, when he pulled up said he got pulled over for his window tint.