Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

Raise the Rear

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 09:09 AM
08 Pony Package
2nd Gear Member

Question Raise the Rear

I am 50 years old. When I was a teenager, most muscle cars had the rear lifted for some serious rake. Nowadays it is not very common at all. I don't think the laws of physics (or aerodynamics) have changed so I am wondering why no one lifts the rear of their Mustangs. I shouldn't say no one. I did see a Mustang (S197) the other day with a slight rear lift, maybe 1 - 1.5 inches. I thought it looked good and now I am considering the same for my '14 V6. So I ask, any opinions on why lifting the rear is not common these days and second, what are the options for lifting the rear and the pros and cons of each?
Old 06-13-2016, 08:50 PM
08 Pony Package
2nd Gear Member

66 views, zero replies, hmmmmmm?????
Old 06-13-2016, 08:56 PM
JimC

The S197 platform does have a bit of rake to it already.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:21 PM
08 Pony Package
2nd Gear Member

Yes, I realize that but the car the car I saw had the rear noticeably higher.

Any guesses why nobody seems to want to offer an opinion on this topic?
Old 06-14-2016, 09:06 AM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 08 Pony Package
Yes, I realize that but the car the car I saw had the rear noticeably higher.

Any guesses why nobody seems to want to offer an opinion on this topic?
That should tell you something right there. There is no benefit to raising the rear and the increased stress on the front end would wear out parts faster. There is already more weight up front than needs to be. I'm older than you and remember those days as well. Perhaps we weren't as smart as we thought we were back in the day.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:49 AM
08 Pony Package
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by proeagles
That should tell you something right there. There is no benefit to raising the rear and the increased stress on the front end would wear out parts faster. There is already more weight up front than needs to be. I'm older than you and remember those days as well. Perhaps we weren't as smart as we thought we were back in the day.
Thanks for the input Proeagles. I had a friend tell me offline that he thought back in the day when more cars were "jacked up" it was to accommodate bigger tires. He also mentioned more cars used leaf springs too, so maybe that had something to do with it. I don't know. I do know that I like the look but don't want to cause damage to my vehicle, just because I like the look.

That said, back in the olden days and even still today, people do things to their cars that provide no benefit other than they like the way it looks. A fancier hood or the sequential tail lights, are a few examples.

Anyway, you make a valid point by suggesting that raising the rear puts increased stress on the front. If instead of raising the rear, if I just lowered the front, would that pose a potential problem for the vehicle?
Old 06-14-2016, 11:49 AM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

Other than the aforementioned increased stress on the front suspension, probably not. If you want to proceed with this, I would just get front lowering springs and do it that way.
Old 06-14-2016, 01:41 PM
08 Pony Package
2nd Gear Member

That may be the way to go then. I wonder if its possible to buy only front springs? I took a quick look at American Muscle and all I saw were front and rear sets. Would any other adjustments be required if just installing front lowering springs? Thanks.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:07 PM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

You may have to adjust your toe and camber a little depending on how radical the drop.
Old 06-14-2016, 08:09 PM
Choppertwo
3rd Gear Member

and we also went with the more lifted front also, hey go figure, different times I guess

Quick Reply: Raise the Rear