Notices
3.7L V6 S550 Tech 2015 - 2017 This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2015+ Ford Mustang.

Getting a Used Convertible V6 Manual for about the same price as a new Fastback

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 08:33 AM
PanchoCornwallace

Default Getting a Used Convertible V6 Manual for about the same price as a new Fastback

I am getting a used Certified Pre-Owned Mustang V6 Convertible (manual) for around the same price as a fastback new.

The differences (convertible v. fastback)?
1. 6300 miles v. less than 50 miles.
2. 2016 v. 2017
3. 18 wheels v. 17 wheels.
4. Power seats, spoiler, better Limited Slip Axle Differential, back up warning v. base model
3. About $800 more for the convertible.

The CPO will cover me until 48,000 miles (41,000+ miles remaining). I am actually covered more than if I got the new one (36,000 miles).

I feel good about my decision, but a bit worried about driving a convertible in the winter. I know I need to get snow tires. Budgeting $1200 for that this winter.

Any advice?
Old 05-02-2017, 07:55 PM
JimC

I drove my 2006 and 2013 convertibles year round in SE Michigan with no problems. Had a commute of 45 miles each way too, and was on the all season tires.

The newer convertibles seal up much better than older ones. My 1965 Mustang convertible the snow would come in all over the place; windshield header, side windows. My wife had a 1993 LeBaron and the snow used to come in over the windshield on that.

Snow tires would be better though than all season. No need for extra weight in the trunk either. Never had it and never needed it. Besides, all that weight is not going to just sit there should you have a sudden stop in the ditch. It will continue moving and aimed at the back of your head.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:27 AM
PanchoCornwallace

Default Thanks JimC

Got the Mustang Convertible yesterday. Did fine in the cold rain today in my 20 miles mostly-Hines-Drive commute. I suppose I might wait it out for the snow tires, but it would give me a chance to get different rims and the tires are going last longer if I keep swapping them every year.

Originally Posted by JimC
I drove my 2006 and 2013 convertibles year round in SE Michigan with no problems. Had a commute of 45 miles each way too, and was on the all season tires.

The newer convertibles seal up much better than older ones. My 1965 Mustang convertible the snow would come in all over the place; windshield header, side windows. My wife had a 1993 LeBaron and the snow used to come in over the windshield on that.

Snow tires would be better though than all season. No need for extra weight in the trunk either. Never had it and never needed it. Besides, all that weight is not going to just sit there should you have a sudden stop in the ditch. It will continue moving and aimed at the back of your head.