Anyone using bbk shortie header ona 2016 3.7l ? - MustangForums.com

3.7L V6 S550 Tech This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2015+ Ford Mustang.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 05-27-2016, 07:49 PM   #1
Tallica4life81
2nd Gear Member

Question Anyone using bbk shortie header ona 2016 3.7l ?

I was wondering if any of you have shortie headers on there 2016 v6. I don't want to be moving the catts so I am considering bbk shorties. If there's really any gains. Thanks guys!!
Tallica4life81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 02:34 PM   #2
WPSPIKER

I like them and have had them installed for about 5000 miles. mine is paired to the MagnaFlow 19099, Airraid CAI with a SCT Tuner & BBK 73mm TB.

The MF exhaust is drone/loud at highway speeds and accelerating. Much more so than I would like. The BBK T,B. also cost me several MPG but I have not had a proper tune put in yet. I have over this winter also added Steeda Suspension Brace for rear end, and their lightweight chassis jacking rails. The FORD Performance strut tower Brace and the K Brace from Steeda too. Waiting for warm weather to get it out and test some upgrades.

Mark
WPSPIKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 02:53 PM   #3
Tallica4life81
2nd Gear Member

Default BBK shorty headers

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPSPIKER View Post
I like them and have had them installed for about 5000 miles. mine is paired to the MagnaFlow 19099, Airraid CAI with a SCT Tuner & BBK 73mm TB.

The MF exhaust is drone/loud at highway speeds and accelerating. Much more so than I would like. The BBK T,B. also cost me several MPG but I have not had a proper tune put in yet. I have over this winter also added Steeda
Suspension Brace for rear end, and their lightweight chassis jacking rails. The FORD Performance strut tower Brace and the K Brace from Steeda too. Waiting for warm weather to get it out and test some upgrades.

Mark

I just purchased my headers yeaster. I already have a cat back exhaust and the BBK throttle body and a roush cold air.
Old 02-26-2017, 03:00 PM   #4
WPSPIKER

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallica4life81 View Post
I just purchased my headers yeaster. I already have a cat back exhaust and the BBK throttle body and a roush cold air.
must have had same thoughts as I did, spend less up front with the V6, (I'm commuting for work so wanted fun and MPG) then mod it some with bolt on bits.

Good option for me as I do my own work!

I did NOT like the BBK Throttle Body (but admit I have not installed a TUNE with that.) I lost 2 ~ 4 MPG with the 73mm upgrade to the TB. I was averaging 32~34 prior to that 73mm T.B. (with a tune, MF 19099 cat back, AirRaid CAI & using the SCT4+ Tuner & free BAMA Tunes.

I also just installed more mods over winter and built a radiator guard made from Menards metal in behind the grill as my Air Con condenser was clogged with bugs/gravel and show damage dut to big grill openings.

Mark
Old 02-26-2017, 03:04 PM   #5
Tallica4life81
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
must have had same thoughts as I did, spend less up front with the V6, (I'm commuting for work so wanted fun and MPG) then mod it some with bolt on bits.

Good option for me as I do my own work!

I did NOT like the BBK Throttle Body (but admit I have not installed a TUNE with that.) I lost 2 ~ 4 MPG with the 73mm upgrade to the TB. I was averaging 32~34 prior to that 73mm T.B. (with a tune, MF 19099 cat back, AirRaid CAI & using the SCT4+ Tuner & free BAMA Tunes.

I also just installed more mods over winter and built a radiator guard made from Menards metal in behind the grill as my Air Con condenser was clogged with bugs/gravel and show damage dut to big grill openings.

Mark
i also have 3.73 rear diff. Gearing so I'm not worried about mpg. I just couldn't afford the payments on a v8 since it's my very first loan purchase. So I'm all about added power and who cares about mpg. I do notice gain in power from the throttle body so I like it.
Old 02-26-2017, 03:11 PM   #6
WPSPIKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallica4life81 View Post
i also have 3.73 rear diff. Gearing so I'm not worried about mpg. I just couldn't afford the payments on a v8 since it's my very first loan purchase. So I'm all about added power and who cares about mpg. I do notice gain in power from the throttle body so I like it.

I noticed mostly a lower torq out of her with the bigger T.,B. but I had lots of mods prior to the TB. The Headers, CAI, Tune and MF exhaust helped it breath a lot but then I installed the TB and went down with most noticeable being low end torq which is understandable with the bigger TB

I did all suspension mods over winter, STEEDA Jacking rails, K member brace and IRS Brace. Then tossed in the Performance Ford strut tower/firewall brace as well. That was my biggest complaint with this thing shimmying around like a stripper on payday anything I pushed it in a rough corner.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:50 PM   #7
WPSPIKER

Question Update

Quote:
I noticed mostly a lower torq out of her with the bigger T.,B. but I had lots of mods prior to the TB. The Headers, CAI, Tune and MF exhaust helped it breath a lot but then I installed the TB and went down with most noticeable being low end torq which is understandable with the bigger TB

I did all suspension mods over winter, STEEDA Jacking rails, K member brace and IRS Brace. Then tossed in the Performance Ford strut tower/firewall brace as well. That was my biggest complaint with this thing shimmying around like a stripper on payday anything I pushed it in a rough corner.
Hi all:

I thought I would report back with the little nagging things and what mods etc.

I have installed a BAMA SCT4 tune to go with the complete mods, and have seen a bit more MPG, but less than with the factory TB vs the 73mm BBK T.B. I commute hr each way and car MPG is 30~32MPG on the car's speedo/readout but a calculation says about 1.5 to 2mpg less around 29~31ish..

I bought some E3 plugs and have my eye on some return Coils for it too but not sure if that will bring back full MPG I had prior to the 73mm BBK TB update.

Other items anyone else with the S550 having paint chips on the aluminum front body panels.? Mine seems to chip if a gnat hits it above 40mph...

Spiker