Notices
3.7L V6 S550 Tech 2015 - 2017 This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2015+ Ford Mustang.

Automatic Transmission issues with 2015 V6

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 04:09 PM
swannie

Default Automatic Transmission issues with 2015 V6

Hello,
I have a 2015 convertible V6 automatic which has recently decided to give me transmission issues. I've had the car about a year and a half and have put about 11000 miles on it since I bought it used, in late 2015. It now has about 19000 miles total. No issues up to this point. Last Friday as I was pulling into my driveway after work, a big yellow wrench light popped up on my dash. I didn't think too much about it at the time. Next morning, I went to play golf, having already forgotten about the warning light. On the way to the golf course, which is only a few miles, the car seemed like it didn't want to get out of (above) 3rd gear. I was only on secondary roads, so I wasn't going very fast anyway. Once I realized this, first time I stopped, I switched to manual shift mode, and that wasn't working - wouldn't show the gear I was in, and I didn't have manual control. So I just took it easy to the golf course, played golf, and didn't worry about it until I went home. On the way home, I put it in manual shift mode to start, and it seemed to be working fine for awhile. I could get all the way up to 5th gear and about 50 mph (didn't try to go faster). But about half way, shifting got rougher, and the manual shift stopped working. So I took it very easy the rest of the way home. When I pulled into the garage and shifted into park, it was really rough, and made a big clunk. I shifted back to reverse - same thing, back to park - same thing, rough shift and a big clunk. And I also noticed a loud blowing noise which I thought was a neighbor blowing off a driveway/sidewalk, because I saw one of the neighbors doing that as I was pulling in my driveway, but it was too loud.
When I shut the engine down the blowing stopped, so I realized it was my own car's fan - not ordinarily a strange thing, but I had never noticed it that loud before. Anyway, I haven't driven it since. The car is under 3 years old, and less than 36000 miles, so its under warranty (or at least I sure hope it is). I'll try to get it into the dealership next week and with that very rough shifting, I think I better have it towed in rather than trying to drive it.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem. I'd like to have some idea what might be going on, before I take it. At first I thought is was an electrical problem with the shifting - a control module thing, but with the rough shifting there at the end I'm now thinking it might be mechanical or both. Didn't mean to be so long-winded. And thanks for any help anyone may offer.
Old 08-25-2017, 07:11 PM
JimC

The wrench light told you that something is wrong and the car is in "limp mode" to avoid damaging the engine or transmission. That is why it won't shift or accelerate very fast.
Old 08-26-2017, 02:35 PM
swannie

Thanks, Jim C.
Old 08-26-2017, 07:04 PM
JimC

Did you pull codes to see what the light means? Without the codes there is no way to start an analysis. Is the car still under warranty? Mileage wise you are fine, but have you exceeded the 36 months of service?
Old 08-26-2017, 09:55 PM
swannie

The car hits 36 months in November.
Old 08-26-2017, 09:58 PM
swannie

And no, I haven't pulled codes. I'll get her into the dealership this week.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:04 AM
Highway Cruiser

Any update? What did they find was wrong?
Old 09-27-2017, 02:03 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Yeah, I was going to say with that mileage and warranty still, dealership, it's covered. What'd they find??
Old 10-02-2017, 12:08 AM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

Make sure dealer fixes it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!