Notices
3.7L V6 S550 Tech 2015 - 2017 This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2015+ Ford Mustang.

Battery Maintainer Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 08:04 AM
Highway Cruiser

Default Battery Maintainer Question

I have an automatic low amperage battery maintainer with a cigarette style plug in adapter that I use to keep another vehicle's battery fully charged during prolonged periods of inactivity. It simply plugs into an accessory port that is always hot. Will it work the same way on my newly acquired 2016 convertible?
Old 09-19-2017, 02:26 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

It should as long as the accessory port is indeed always hot (irregardless of a key or fob being present).
Old 09-20-2017, 07:57 AM
Highway Cruiser

Originally Posted by Derf00
It should as long as the accessory port is indeed always hot (irregardless of a key or fob being present).
Thanks Derf. Do you know if either (or both) ports are always hot? I don't have any device at the moment to plug in for a test.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:17 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Highway Cruiser
Thanks Derf. Do you know if either (or both) ports are always hot? I don't have any device at the moment to plug in for a test.
Probably not. Most cars that have two ports only offer one "hot at all times". The other one is usually controlled by the ignition switch.

It's most likely the hidden port in the center console that is Hot at all times. The one that is on the dash or in the center dash stack is usually the switched one.

If you have a 12v USB charger, plug it in and see which one charges your phone without a key/FOB present.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:41 AM
Highway Cruiser

Originally Posted by Derf00
If you have a 12v USB charger, plug it in and see which one charges your phone without a key/FOB present.
Thanks again. Will do.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:39 AM
Highway Cruiser

Tested both the front console and center armrest aux power ports this morning. Neither are continuously hot, so looks like the battery cover will have to be removed to allow my maintainer's set of alligator clips to connect to the battery post. Nuts! Would have been so much easier to just use the optional lighter style plug to insert into one of those aux ports.
Old 09-27-2017, 01:56 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

that sucks! Must've been too many complaints from people leaving stuff plugged into the hot port to drain the battery so Ford decided to make them both controlled by FOB The few dipshizzs affecting the greater who are not....