Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Burnouts with a 3.7 Automatic?

Old 08-04-2010, 12:51 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

I find it pretty easy to do burnouts in my 4.0 auto. Granted I don't have a LSD so it's one wheel but still.

And if I were you, I'd get the manual. That's one of my biggest regrets. A sports car should not be auto
Old 08-04-2010, 12:57 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by STANGmole
No and Yes.

I'm not sure why people think that burnouts will be as easy with the auto as they are with the manual. It's never as easy to do a burnout with the auto in my opinion (no high rev-drop the clutch action).

Also, depending on your gearing, tires, and wheels it might not be easy to do a burnout at all. I was surprised when I got my 2010 GT auto w/ 19" wheels that I couldn't do a proper burnout easily. After learning how to completely disable the stability and traction control I was indeed able to burnout but not to the tire shredding wheel-hop levels that I could in my 2008 GT with a 5 spd and 17" wheels. It takes more to spin up those big wheels...and it IS harder to burn out with an automatic.

That being said, burning out isn't always a great thing for track times. Even though I can't put on as good of a show in the 2010 I can pull a 0-60 around 4.7-4.8 seconds if I only have myself as a passenger and only a quarter tank of gas to keep the weight down ;-)

Do yourself a favor and get the automatic. You'll enjoy the luxury of not having to manually shift in stop and go freeway or downtown traffic and with a shift kit it'll out perform the manual for drag racing...in my opinion of course!
I own an automatic and drove a manual stang for 8 years. It's not any harder to do a burnout in an auto vs a manual.
1) Turn off TCS
2) Put it into D1, not D
3) Lightly press the brake pedal to keep the car from coasting forward
4) Hammer the gas
5) Once it's burning and you got billows of smoke, let off the brake completely, the car will do the rest.

I've laid 50+ feet of rubber on more than one occassion with my auto
Old 08-04-2010, 02:06 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
I own an automatic and drove a manual stang for 8 years. It's not any harder to do a burnout in an auto vs a manual.
1) Turn off TCS
2) Put it into D1, not D
3) Lightly press the brake pedal to keep the car from coasting forward
4) Hammer the gas
5) Once it's burning and you got billows of smoke, let off the brake completely, the car will do the rest.

I've laid 50+ feet of rubber on more than one occassion with my auto
That's how it's done
Old 08-04-2010, 04:34 PM
plumbago

Upsh1ft::: The 3.7 auto will definately do a burnout. You must shut off both stability and traction control. Lightly hold the breaks, and run the motor up to 2500+ rpm, and then stand on it. It will burn! Helps if the tires are up in pressure a bit. As to top end, I had mine up to an indicated 120 mph, (top down) and then the limiter cut in, so it seems it will go past the advertised 112 mph. But this was speedo indicated and I did not have a GPS with me to check it against. This with the 18" wheels. Best regards Plum FFF

2011, 3.7 Prem Vert, auto, 2.73 rear, candy red/saddle, Pony Pac. (fast furious fun)
Old 08-05-2010, 08:04 PM
Upsh1ft
2nd Gear Member

Darn!

Thanks for the input everyone and many thanks for the burnout tutorials :P.

Sorry if I sounded like a performance car newbie. I have a fairly good grasp of general car knowledge but between what you think and what you do when you actually do it can be different so I wanted to cover all my bases. 95% of my driving experience was done in a 2003 Oldsmobile Alero V6(It's my mom's, i'm only 22 and fresh out of college lol). Let's face it, an alero isn't a performance vehicle at 170 hp and 200 ft-lbs of torque mated to a 4 speed auto for 3100 lbs of car. Brand new they were rated for 0-60 at 7.8 secs. With 131 000 miles on the odo, I timed myself this week at a pathetic 10 seconds from a standstill. So yeah without proper experience with a car as strong as the new Mustang I don't know what to expect :P.

Either way, thanks a bunch.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:23 AM
98BlueGT
2nd Gear Member

I don't think it is an auto but here is a 3.7 burnout!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAr8A...layer_embedded
Old 08-07-2010, 12:24 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

You will have no issues spinning the tires...auto or manual.
Old 08-07-2010, 12:28 PM
Future4.3LStang
1st Gear Member

For me doing burnouts in an Auto is Easier than a Stick..
Old 08-08-2010, 06:47 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by STANGmole
No and Yes.

I'm not sure why people think that burnouts will be as easy with the auto as they are with the manual. It's never as easy to do a burnout with the auto in my opinion (no high rev-drop the clutch action).

Also, depending on your gearing, tires, and wheels it might not be easy to do a burnout at all. I was surprised when I got my 2010 GT auto w/ 19" wheels that I couldn't do a proper burnout easily. After learning how to completely disable the stability and traction control I was indeed able to burnout but not to the tire shredding wheel-hop levels that I could in my 2008 GT with a 5 spd and 17" wheels. It takes more to spin up those big wheels...and it IS harder to burn out with an automatic.

That being said, burning out isn't always a great thing for track times. Even though I can't put on as good of a show in the 2010 I can pull a 0-60 around 4.7-4.8 seconds if I only have myself as a passenger and only a quarter tank of gas to keep the weight down ;-)

Do yourself a favor and get the automatic. You'll enjoy the luxury of not having to manually shift in stop and go freeway or downtown traffic and with a shift kit it'll out perform the manual for drag racing...in my opinion of course!
What kind of crappy automatics have you driven? Its FAR easier to do a burnout in an automatic. One foot on gas, the other on the brake. Press both at the same time. Anyone could do it.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:30 AM
kev152
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Future4.3LStang
For me doing burnouts in an Auto is Easier than a Stick..
Agree. Brake, gas, let off brake until they spin...done.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Burnouts with a 3.7 Automatic?