Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

K&N Filter Performance over CAI

Old 08-30-2010, 02:17 PM
gspyer@yahoo.com
1st Gear Member

Default K&N Filter Performance over CAI

I was wondering if any knew what the airflow difference is on a V6 2011 using the stock airbox and a K&N drop-in Filter compared to a CAI. How many more CFM of air would I get with a CAI. I'm trying to decide if it is worth it.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:50 PM
DarkhelmetRT
1st Gear Member

I can tell you from personal experience that I have never seen a K&N drop in filter produce more than 3 whp on a dyno in any car I've worked with.
As for the CAI MMR claims 17hp and I'm not sure what C&L is claiming but I'm sure it's more than 3. personally I love my MMR intake and will post numbers when I have a chance to get it to a dyno.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:55 PM
Funster_2011V6
2nd Gear Member

I never had worthwhile gains with "drop in" filters either. No matter how much more flow the drop in filter has your still working with the failings of the stock box and it's directional changes because, remember, you can make air flow fast or around a corner but normaly not at the same time.

In other words, save your money. If you cant upgrade to a properly tuned CAI then just stick with paper filters and keep them changed.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:02 PM
Whitehorse10
2nd Gear Member

If you increase your airflow enough to notice a difference in the car's performance you will also need a tune or risk the car running lean. I've never seen a drop in filter that was worth the price or lived up to the hype over just keeping your paper filter.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:29 PM
DarkhelmetRT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Whitehorse10
If you increase your airflow enough to notice a difference in the car's performance you will also need a tune or risk the car running lean. I've never seen a drop in filter that was worth the price or lived up to the hype over just keeping your paper filter.
This is not always true, almost all modern ecu's are adaptive to some degree. Most vehicles will alter the fuel and spark tables based on data from the 02 and knock sensors. so a CAI that adds 10 - 15 hp should be well within the range of ecu adjustment.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:40 PM
gspyer@yahoo.com
1st Gear Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I though the canned tunes I can get from a SCT tuner aren't out for the Mustang V6 2011, only the 5.0... right? So if I go with the CAI, I'd have to either get a custom tuner or wait until some tunes are released.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:18 PM
DarkhelmetRT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by gspyer@yahoo.com
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I though the canned tunes I can get from a SCT tuner aren't out for the Mustang V6 2011, only the 5.0... right? So if I go with the CAI, I'd have to either get a custom tuner or wait until some tunes are released.
true, but let me tell you, the intake alone makes a noticable difference in performance and sound especially from 4500 rpm and up
Old 08-30-2010, 07:50 PM
Funster_2011V6
2nd Gear Member

Besides, If K&N cant get THIS right.... >>>>
Old 08-30-2010, 08:17 PM
Snakebite64
4th Gear Member

^^^I had one of those in 1990 lol^^^
Old 08-31-2010, 10:57 AM
plumbago

I'm still waiting, mainly because, at this early stage, I don't think there is really enough hard data out there to prove any of the big HP increases from the CAI people, especially with out a tune.......If you read the C&L info closely, it is evident that they can't seem to improve much on the factory CAI box that is on the 3.7........at least at this time. They are pretty reputable, so I think it is prudent to wait any see. When the after market turns serious on the 3.7 then maybe, but it will still take some time and reputable development to prove the case. Best regards Plum......FFF
2011 3.7 Prem Vert. pony pac, auto, wino red/saddle, (Fast Furious Fun)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: K&N Filter Performance over CAI