Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Capless gastank. I just have to ask...

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 11:07 AM
oldmountainman

I like the no gas cap feature. now the cap on my other cars is a nuisance.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:18 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

The first thing I did was buy the lockable "plug" from the parts department. I don't like my tanks hanging open just asking for someone to dump some strange crap in there... I wouldn't mind the feature at all if the tank flap was locked and had to be opened with a lever in the car... but all you have to do is push the thing and it clicks open. Ford calls it a feature, I call it "dumb" these days, especially with high gas prices and so many people down on finances. Having your gas siphoned out I don't think is a big stretch anymore when a tank of gas is worth $40+.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:34 PM
KutenStang
1st Gear Member

I like the capless filler. Don't have to worry about forgetting the cap or leaving it hanging on the door. It's a lot quicker and easier to fill without the cap in the way.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:22 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 157dB
Just leave your old style removable cap just once at the gas station
(I removed the 'paint scratch producing cap strap' the very first
fill-up) and the capless design will be the next best thing since sliced bread.
Just have some punk-*** jealous kid dump some crap into your tank once, and the capless design will be the worst thing ever, lol. Just playing devil's advocate here...

I guess I'm in the minority here. The capless system wouldn't be bad, if the damn tank locked via the release from inside the car. Having the flap require nothing to open AND having the tank open, just seems like asking for trouble to me. Oh well, I solved mine with the "plug" pictured earlier. It comes off way easier than a cap, just lifts away...
Old 11-01-2010, 05:32 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

actually it's just like my caddy, yeah you could dump something in but don't know if a hose can be shoved down it, my caddy can't for sure, but had not tested, try it.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:50 AM
Eleven-6

I really like the capless tank, like oldmountainman said, it makes my other car's cap seem like a PITA now!
Old 01-19-2011, 08:12 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

Got car back after 2 months in shop from my wreck at the track, had the stock gas lid replaced, did not know how would look, but looks good IMO, got the locking plug too.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:18 PM
smokinAMD
2nd Gear Member

Ummm.....it sure as hell looks like you have a Denny Hamlin license plate?
Old 01-19-2011, 08:30 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

there is some uniqueness to that DH Tag, some of my own creation, i have a '11 V6, 6 speed, so the 11 then 6SPD stang, but the other thing is the month and date on sticker on the tag, is same day my car was built on 1 year ago 4/15, my daughter in laws birthday that died of cancer 2 years ago, and her initials.....yep you gueesed it DH. Those other things i never realized until about 8 months ago.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:37 PM
smokinAMD
2nd Gear Member

That's almost borderline creepy how that worked out. Sorry about your daughter-in-law, that's terrible.

Are you a DH fan though?

I never had actually seen a personalized nascar plate until now, it made me go to the NC DMV website to check them out. I guess I can't be all that surprised since it is NC.

Quick Reply: Capless gastank. I just have to ask...