Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

I have a ticking "lifter" on cold startup. do you?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 08:10 PM
makeitblack

Originally Posted by koolponycar
My CS rep manager called me back today. She said what some here have been saying, That a repair procedure should be ready in two more weeks, no later than the end of the month of January. This came from the engineers according to her. She said they are still testing the two mustangs that I posted earlier about either here on this forum or at allfordmustangs. I guess we should know something soon. She told me that I could call my dealer and check for a update too if I wanted. I told her I would give them a couple of weeks and check. I called my service manager at the dealer to make sure he was aware of this too. That's all I got for now, but will post when I here something else. We will just have to see what they have come up with and see if it is satisfactory or not.
thanks for all the updates! Keep us posted

I got the sound to, im not to heavily concerned so hopefully ill get the fix to
Old 01-12-2011, 10:45 AM
Bokeo
2nd Gear Member

I just discovered mine does this!! I never noticed it because it only happens from a cold start up and you can only hear it when outside the car, not inside. I hope they have found a fix for this its very annoying!
Old 01-19-2011, 10:12 AM
mschul01

Yup, add me to the list too. Built 4/10.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:38 AM
Alien
1st Gear Member

Mine does this too. I was hoping it would go away if I went back to synthetic since the first oil change at the dealer they used regular oil instead. But I changed it to synthetic this weekend and I'm still getting the noise. Hopefully a fix comes out soon.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:10 AM
everett
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by makeitblack
same here, i actually noticed it AFTER getting my oil changed at the dealership. I checked oil level ok. There is a TSB out on it, ive read around on other forums. Ford says it wont do damage to the engine, and as of right now there is no fix. Same as you, only on cold start then it goes away. This isn't completely new for me.. my past GM car did this "normally" so i havent worried to much. See what ford comes up with for a fix, but it might be another month or two
5w30.....and use red line,amsoil or mobil 1 euro..... Problem solved.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:18 PM
Bokeo
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by everett
5w30.....and use red line,amsoil or mobil 1 euro..... Problem solved.
So changing to 5w30 with one of those brands fixes the tick?
Old 01-24-2011, 05:21 PM
Funster_2011V6
2nd Gear Member

Well, I'm not sure at this point. I just put in 0w30 and it just BARELY ticks, but then it had nearly stopped on fresh PU 5w20 with one ounce of liquid graphite (or whatever xl-17 is) added in for 1000 miles.

I wish ford would just publish whatever the hell is wrong.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:33 PM
Bokeo
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Funster_2011V6
Well, I'm not sure at this point. I just put in 0w30 and it just BARELY ticks, but then it had nearly stopped on fresh PU 5w20 with one ounce of liquid graphite (or whatever xl-17 is) added in for 1000 miles.

I wish ford would just publish whatever the hell is wrong.
Hmm.. interesting. Im sitting at 3800 miles right now and plan to change oil at 5000 so any more info would be appreciated. I too wish ford would publish what was wrong and how to fix it as well.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:50 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

Do I, or am I only that uses the ford owners website...........why waste $$$ changing at 5000, sure I used to be a religous 3500 mile changer but these new cars, the message I got other day when I logged in from ford said, you are at 4200 miles, don't forget to bring in for first boil change in 5800 miles!!!! sure, start mine up in morning, 25 degrees out, tick tick, few seconds...goes away...sorry, I have had that on almost every car I owned, is that the tick they are talking about if so I'm sayong normal. if engine goes and a TSB out there then cool covered?
Old 01-24-2011, 08:05 PM
Funster_2011V6
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bokeo
Hmm.. interesting. Im sitting at 3800 miles right now and plan to change oil at 5000 so any more info would be appreciated. I too wish ford would publish what was wrong and how to fix it as well.
I changed it early at about 2000 miles with Mobil 1 5w20. When it got colder I started noticing the ticking, and tried several different oils, finally settling on Royal Purple 5w20.

The ticking was still there, so at bout 5000 miles I changed to pennzoil ultra, thinking that maybe there was a blockage somewhere and that the high detergent package would clean it out. The ticking got worse than ever before, so bad in fact that i could hear it inside my house with the car in the garage, but it was getting colder so that may have been it.

As a last resort I put in 1 ounce of a Molly Graphite additive and the noise stopped dead. I've run this till just the other day when I changed to the 0w30. I haven't driven it yet, because of the snow, but I did go out and start it from ice cold and it's as quiet as before I ever noticed it.

When warmed up, the valvetrain is dead silent on the 0w30. I wish it had the additive package of royal purple, though.

Quick Reply: I have a ticking "lifter" on cold startup. do you?