Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

I have a ticking "lifter" on cold startup. do you?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 02:57 PM
wrxified
2nd Gear Member

Before I take mine in I want someone to say they had their hole reamed and she quit making noise.
Old 01-29-2011, 03:01 PM
MatthewR87

Originally Posted by wrxified
Before I take mine in I want someone to say they had their hole reamed and she quit making noise.
LOL! Good one!

I may not have any choice but to wait. I have a sneaking suspicion that getting the fix here in Canada might take a good while.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:13 PM
koolponycar
1st Gear Member

Thumbs up Solutions

Originally Posted by MatthewR87
I appreciate your updates and I'm sure the rest of the community does too. Hopefully everything works out! And I wasn't trying to demean your interpretation or anything...its just the solution that Ford proposes struck me as kinda funny...in my mind I saw a Ford mechanic drilling away with a giant drill inside my engine, with sparks and metal shavings flying everywhere LOL
Originally Posted by Funster_2011V6
Well, I'm one step closer to getting fixed! Went in to schedule getting my flywheel bolts replaced and my transmission fluid changed, and the service manager put me on the list to get my tick fixed!

What you have to do is take your car in. They will verify the noise, take note of the engine code and vin, and then Ford corporate "lends" your dealer a tool. I was put on a list because my dealer has 2 other owners they have to schedule and they want to fix us all while they have the tool. Now, what i say next may not be 100% true, but I understand it is basically a reamer to open up the oil passages on the drivers side cam caps.

Happy today!
H'MM Sounds familiar, It just might be true. Hey MatthewR87, I can see your point too, Sorry if I took offense. This Tuesday coming up is my appointment for the reaming,LOL, and then I will verify when their done and hopefully I will have some pictures to post. My service manager really has been on top of this for me, and really you need someone good, a "Friend" to be in your corner in situations like this. Find a dealership that has a great service department and keep taking your car there. If you go into your dealer throwing puches and hitting them over the head, then your likely not to get anyone to go the extra mile for you, because this is not the dealers fault, its Fords issue. Good luck to us all
Old 01-29-2011, 04:18 PM
LTDan
1st Gear Member

So do you think the issue is NOT causing damage then? That is my main concern at this point.

Also, in response to 6+6 Mustangs question, the engine does not have lifters but direct acting metal buckets (DAMBs)...I believe another name for this is valve tappets.

http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=819&viewfil...ded%20View.pdf

These are Part 8 in that diagram
Call them what you will. They are essentially the same as lifters in an old pushrod engine. They are just shorter and fatter and connect directly to the camshaft instead of a pushrod. The only thing we can do is take Ford's word for it that it won't cause any damage. The part will be covered under the full 5 year/60k mile warranty, as it is an internally lubricated component of the engine. From the description by Ford, it just sounds like it's not an issue that will cause engine damage, just an annoying click. I'm just thankful that they're actually attempting to fix it and not just blowing it off as a "normal engine characteristic".
Old 01-29-2011, 05:08 PM
MatthewR87

Would a clicking noise not imply metal on metal contact though? That should cause damage in the long run.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:59 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

thanks....guess I will ask if they know if a tool or a part is coming....
Old 01-29-2011, 07:35 PM
LTDan
1st Gear Member

Would a clicking noise not imply metal on metal contact though? That should cause damage in the long run.
I'm not sure. I've never ran an engine for a long period of time with the valves adjusted incorrectly. Maybe someone else can chime in. If the engine was doing this all the time, I could see it potentially being an issue. But it's really only when the engine is cold and running between 800-1000 RPM, which doesn't happen all that often. That being said, as someone else pointed out, I too had an image in my mind of some Ford tech with a grinder grinding one of my bearing journals with sparks flying out all over the place. I'll deal with the ticking before I let a Ford tech do that to MY engine
Old 01-30-2011, 12:41 PM
makeitblack

Originally Posted by LTDan
I'm not sure. I've never ran an engine for a long period of time with the valves adjusted incorrectly. Maybe someone else can chime in. If the engine was doing this all the time, I could see it potentially being an issue. But it's really only when the engine is cold and running between 800-1000 RPM, which doesn't happen all that often. That being said, as someone else pointed out, I too had an image in my mind of some Ford tech with a grinder grinding one of my bearing journals with sparks flying out all over the place. I'll deal with the ticking before I let a Ford tech do that to MY engine
so your going to have a metal on metal sound daily in your engine, before you let the creator of the engine fix it? So your taking their word that this wont cause damage, yet you wont take their word on the fix? How I see it, cold start ups are the hardest on the engine regardless of any failure.

So with the info we have are we to presume, the oil passage that is not open enough has problems on cold starts because the oil is thicker and cannot flow fast enough through the passage? Then when the oil warms up its flows faster (its thinner) and the taping goes away? So are we actually sitting here asking ourselves if a lack of oil on a cold start can effect a mechanical part in a engine?... absolutely. But to a degree..and how much that degree is I have no idea.

Ford isn't fixing the noise because its annoying IMO, there fixing it because it causes premature wear. (IMO!)
Old 01-30-2011, 12:49 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

here's the deal, if you are worried about metal shavings, then don't take it in, if take in, they repair, motor starts smoking down the road, then ford fixes that, but to not take in when everyone out here has done the foot work for those wondering how to get this resolved is a bad call......if everyone has the thought, then one day we'll all be lined up at service dept...I say hey...we are ahead of the ball game here than the rest of the population, get in there before you end up waiting 6 months in line when you knew about it...IMO..
Old 01-30-2011, 12:56 PM
MatthewR87

Originally Posted by makeitblack
so your going to have a metal on metal sound daily in your engine, before you let the creator of the engine fix it? So your taking their word that this wont cause damage, yet you wont take their word on the fix? How I see it, cold start ups are the hardest on the engine regardless of any failure.

So with the info we have are we to presume, the oil passage that is not open enough has problems on cold starts because the oil is thicker and cannot flow fast enough through the passage? Then when the oil warms up its flows faster (its thinner) and the taping goes away? So are we actually sitting here asking ourselves if a lack of oil on a cold start can effect a mechanical part in a engine?... absolutely. But to a degree..and how much that degree is I have no idea.

Ford isn't fixing the noise because its annoying IMO, there fixing it because it causes premature wear. (IMO!)
I'm sure it causes some level of damage. My concern is whether the fix is worse than the actual problem. I'm not convinced it is worth going through this assinine repair process when I'm covered under warranty for seven years (extended), and if the engine fails in a couple of winters they'll have to install a new one.

Personally I also wonder why they do not simply replace the offending part, instead of going to all the trouble of making a bigger oil port with a "special tool". If you can get the cam cap out of the engine to drill it, then I'm sure you can just as easily replace it with a new one. There is also a smaller margin for error in this approach, especially when you consider the techs do not have any training with this type of procedure.

Quick Reply: I have a ticking "lifter" on cold startup. do you?