Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Why can't we 3.7's make our own CAI?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 05:55 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

well besides my comment above I had my '10 GT Dyno'd with stock cai, then had the JLT CAI put on an the tuner, said you know, there is hardly any difference, ford did a good job on the '10 cai, SO I'm guessing the '11 V6 stock airbox is as close to a aftermarket cai. so I'm saving money on cai and pipes for now, until the blower comes out for these, no need to drop anymore cash cause once you drop a blower in, all that will change.....come on pro charger!!!!
Old 12-06-2010, 06:10 PM
ufstang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Funster_2011V6
Here's the problem I had with making my own cai on my scion tc. Resonance. I had no way to tune the length of the tube to combat resonance and at higher rpms the airflow would stall and I would lose power. Just sticking a tube on there with a filter on the end doesn't get it.

Have you seen the MMR piece? A straight tube, but a specific diameter and length. The C&L? A short tube with varying diameter.

I get what your saying, but there is quite a lot of R&D that goes into quality parts, and the prices reflect that. I also would never buy the small gain a cai gives for 300, however I got in on the AM preorder and paid much less, so I went for it.

One more thing, along the lines of your posts in the no muffler thread you started, I really personally think you would be happier with the sound of a cai and stock exhaust rather than, as you say, getting something that really doesn't give much improvement for nearly 500. When I put my stock air box back on to take my car in for service, I noticed how tinny the corsa system really sounds. But put the cai back on everything changes. Even my brother commented on it when I let him borrow the car. Now, he had a ws6 trans am with a borla exhaust at one time so I think his opinion is valid. What he said was 1: sounds like a v8 and 2: you can't help but put your foot in it so you can hear that sound. Corsas plus cai, I mean.

Hope this helps.
Ya I see what you're saying and I know theres a lot of R&D that goes into these things which is rightfully reflected in price, I just think I'll hold a little longer before dropping cash on it.

And just so I know everyone is aware I'm no saying I want to recreate a whole new CAI, I'd keep everything stock until right after the MAF sensor.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:17 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

you could make your own and end up with something that doesn't perform well and looks terrible.
or you could be smart and look for a used one on ebay.
i found a perfectly good Airaid CAI on ebay, a little dirty but works well, and after some cleaning looks like new.
and it was only $90.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:28 PM
ufstang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by onederful100
you could make your own and end up with something that doesn't perform well and looks terrible.
or you could be smart and look for a used one on ebay.
i found a perfectly good Airaid CAI on ebay, a little dirty but works well, and after some cleaning looks like new.
and it was only $90.
I could be smart and by an used eBay CAI for an '11, really please show me where? I thought the word "technical" in this subforum would provide me with the technical reason why it wouldn't work, I get that with all your knowledge you know it wouldn't perform well but can you tell me why.

I do appreciate the answers though from most everyone else, seeing as Id rather learn why it wouldn't work then spend cash and realize there's an easier way about it out there.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:59 PM
zulu45
1st Gear Member

I also share the same concern, so what I've decided that first, I'll get a cat-back or axle-back Magnaflow Street series muffler set, a Bama custom tune and tuner, a high flow cat (or just remove them, no emission testing here in Kentucky), and a K&N air filter. If it's not down to a respectable quarter-mile time, then I'll go for a CAI. If not then, I'll get the 3.31 axle.

But I'm still really skeptical about the CAI, but I'll get it if I have to... (that's what she said )
Old 12-07-2010, 09:17 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ufstang
I could be smart and by an used eBay CAI for an '11, really please show me where? I thought the word "technical" in this subforum would provide me with the technical reason why it wouldn't work, I get that with all your knowledge you know it wouldn't perform well but can you tell me why.

I do appreciate the answers though from most everyone else, seeing as Id rather learn why it wouldn't work then spend cash and realize there's an easier way about it out there.
all the other replies on this thread are not tech answers either.
so you're thanking them for giving you non-tech answers as well.

here's the tech part:
you could make your own CAI. some of the CAI out there are made from plastic and rubber.
but the hard part is making it fit, and the MAF housing and the sensor enclosure will be the hardest part.
sure you could make anything yourself. but is it worth the trouble.
for instance, using a GT500 eaton SC on a GT. its doable, but not worth the trouble and end result.
this is a microcosm of that example.

so let us know how your fabrication of the CAI goes. good luck. you're gonna need it.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:22 PM
ufstang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by onederful100
all the other replies on this thread are not tech answers either.
so you're thanking them for giving you non-tech answers as well.

here's the tech part:
you could make your own CAI. some of the CAI out there are made from plastic and rubber.
but the hard part is making it fit, and the MAF housing and the sensor enclosure will be the hardest part.
sure you could make anything yourself. but is it worth the trouble.
for instance, using a GT500 eaton SC on a GT. its doable, but not worth the trouble and end result.
this is a microcosm of that example.

so let us know how your fabrication of the CAI goes. good luck. you're gonna need it.
I didn't mean to hurt your feelings for not thanking you. And you're making this much bigger than it really is. There's already MAFS adapters on the market, I spent a whole 5 minutes searching to figure that out, so for just $30 I can see if all my R&D is done for me. If it doesnt than I'm no worse off than I am at this moment.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:50 PM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

I'm not 110% impressed by any of the V6 intakes that are out on the market.... yet
Old 12-08-2010, 11:03 AM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ufstang
I didn't mean to hurt your feelings for not thanking you. And you're making this much bigger than it really is. There's already MAFS adapters on the market, I spent a whole 5 minutes searching to figure that out, so for just $30 I can see if all my R&D is done for me. If it doesnt than I'm no worse off than I am at this moment.
my feelings are not hurt. i am not a 10 year old girl.
i am not making this big, you are the one that singled me out, and asked for tech.
you didn't say that you had a MAF adapter already, that came up after my reply.
this is a public forum and you asked for peoples opinions, and i gave you mine.
i still stand by my opinion.
and if AMChrisRose is right about the intakes not being that good, then you got your work cut out for you.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:55 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

Stickin with Stock.............