Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Any regrets?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 12:00 PM
sketchy00
2nd Gear Member

Default Any regrets?

Hey fellas,

As I'm ramping up to buy an '11 V6 Premium Pony (or Perf pkg) in the next few months, I'm wondering if any of you have ever wished you with with the 5.0 instead of the v6. The reason I say that is that I see almost every weekend in the paper my local dealer (large volume dealer) having a few 2011 GT Premium's as loss leaders for 27k. Figuring the desire for many to dump a few grand more into their v6's for tuning and such, the price difference becomes less and less. I also notice that I'm drawn in like a magnet to the wheels that are spec'd on a GT versus the V6. But of course, my wallet would love the MPG's and insurance of the V6.

Let me say in advance that I appreciate your honesty, and I don't want to invoke any flame war if somebody wished they had went with the 5.0. Just trying to get a feel from actual owners of the v6 after the new feeling wears off, and the desire for power doesn't.

Thanks everyone.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:08 PM
theACE
3rd Gear Member

I honestly love my 2011 V6, I wish I would have gotten the 5.0 sometimes for power but then again you have to remember, if you get the 5.0 you are going to wish you got the GT500, it goes on and on. Just go with what you really want, the 2011 V6 is no joke, unlike the previous years.

At times I wish I had the 5.0 like I said, but then again I get into enough shi*t with my V6 driving stupidly, so had I got the 5.0 I think I would have been screwed, haha. Plus, yes the MPG does help out just a bit pocket wise.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:23 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

The 2011 v6 is a fantastic car. I didn't even test drive one.. because I had my heart set on the 5.0, and driving the new v6 would have made me think twice about "needing" the much more expensive 5.0.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:08 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

The 6 is a great choice, shoot I had a '10 GT and did not even test drive the 6, I went by the commercials and all the hipe and have no regrets except my current situation waiting on car to get out of shop cause took to track and under estimated the powerand thought would just lug down the track and that little suck got away from me lol it's more funn than GT, i glanced at 5.0 when looking but the 6 empresed me more .
Old 12-12-2010, 03:34 PM
snaf2u
2nd Gear Member

Zip, zero, na-da, nope, not even a little. I am absoutely happy with this wonderful car.

I have a tune, 3.55,s and will have axle-backs. That is all it will have and probably more than it needs. It is fast enough and no matter what I would buy someone will always be faster.

Just need this winter over so I can go top-down and cruise!
Old 12-12-2010, 04:04 PM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

I love the fact that I have a pretty fast car that pretty much has economy car fuel economy. But if I stomp on it it's all on. The car is very well balanced and the engine is silky smooth. No regrets here. However I was mainly focused on buying a V6 2+2. I really thought I'd be driving a G37.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:11 PM
Bokeo
2nd Gear Member

None, like the others have said.. there will always be faster cars out on the road. The car is plenty quick enough, the ride quality is nice.. and the interior grows on you quickly. Also a nice plus is you get alot of other cars trying to race you because they see no 'GT' or '5.0' badges. =)
Old 12-12-2010, 04:31 PM
Radioguy
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by sketchy00
Let me say in advance that I appreciate your honesty, and I don't want to invoke any flame war if somebody wished they had went with the 5.0. Just trying to get a feel from actual owners of the v6 after the new feeling wears off, and the desire for power doesn't.

Thanks everyone.
Of course it is pretty rare to have someone - especially on a Forum like this - say "Oh, I really messed up and bought the wrong car But if you look at the "overall comments" on many of the forum threads, you will see a lot of people very enthusiastic about the V6 Mustang - including me I wasn't sure which Mustang I would buy when I went to the dealer (I had done a lot of research before I went). I drove both the V6 and the GT convertibles. The V6 seemed fun to drive. The GT seemed fun to drive. I was looking for a "fun car to drive." For me, the price performance of the V6 convertible was "unbeatable!" I'm not going to race my "daily driver," so the V6 provided plenty of fun, great features and the price was very compelling.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:45 PM
sketchy00
2nd Gear Member

Thanks guys. Thats all I needed to hear. I knew when asking the question, those that would answer are going to naturally be partial to loving their V6. Of the half dozen times I've test driven the '11 v6, I always passed on testing the 5.0. And honestly, I'm the type that will enjoy having the combination of nice power when its needed, yet being able to nurse it to 30mpg when needed.

Thanks again.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:53 PM
Doc Hawk
1st Gear Member

The V6 is an excellent automobile in its class. V6 or GT is totally dependent upon the driver. If you are a driver who needs the power and/or prestige of a 5.0, the V6 is totally inadequate. If that is not important to you, and you are happy with your own driving experience without having to compare it to what the car in the next lane can do, then the GT is unnecessary at best and a waste of money and gas at worst.

Quick Reply: Any regrets?