Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Clutch pedal binding

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 12:17 AM
LTDan
1st Gear Member

Default Clutch pedal binding

Hey all, I have a 2011 V6 with the 6 speed manual with ~5300 miles. When I let go of the cluctch pedal during normal driving, or even when the car is off, the clutch binds slightly (for about 1/2 a second) about 2 or 3 inches before it comes all the way back up. I know there was a TSB for earlier mustangs that dealt with the issue of the clutch pedal slowly coming back up when shifting around 7k RPM, but my issue is during normal driving and my build date is 5-25-2010. The TSB is supposed to affect mustangs built before April 15, I believe it is. It's more of a minor annoyance than anything, except yesterday the clutch started to chatter briefly from a slow start. Is anyone else having this issue? If so, what would you recommend to fix the issue (silicone spray or something similar)? Or should I just wait till my next service and take it to the dealership and let them sort it out?
Old 01-02-2011, 06:35 AM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

Print out the TSB on it take to dealer.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:27 PM
LTDan
1st Gear Member

Default Worse than I though...

Mm k... An update on this one. I had an appointment to take my car in to the dealership this afternoon. On the way to the dealership, I was on the freeway and the clutch went out completely. I was going about 70 in 6th and went to press the clutch to go into 4th to pass someone, and the pedal went straight to the floor and didn't come back up and I couldn't get it into any gear well, I called the free Ford roadside assistance to tow the car to the dealership. They were quick and got the car to the dealership. And apparently, Ford doesn't cover rental cars any more for warranty repairs, even though when I bought the car in September, the warranty guy told me specifically that it does cover rental cars for warranty repairs. A few minutes of haggling and they covered a Hyundai Accent for 2 days I can only assume the slave cylinder went out on the clutch. And as far as I can tell, this isn't a common issue, so just bad luck. Here's to hoping I can get my car back within a day or 2 and out of this Hyundai
Old 01-04-2011, 08:37 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

well hope you do get back, mine supposed be done this week, haven't driven since 20 november...last thing I want is a defect...
Old 01-05-2011, 01:41 PM
LTDan
1st Gear Member

Just got a call from the dealership. The master cylinder went out. It's being replaced under warranty. The service guy said that the part will take 2-3 days to get in and 3 hours to install. So, I should get my car back between Friday and Monday. I did a bit of searching, and the issue is not uncommon for the 2011's. Both V6 and 5.0. I found 3 or 4 other cases by searching on google. One guy had to have it replaced twice before 5k miles. I'm hoping the next one lasts a bit longer. I don't drive the car too hard. Hopefully Ford just received a small batch of faulty master cylinders and the issue has been resolved.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:03 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

good luck on it......yeah hoping is not REAL common!
Old 01-07-2011, 06:46 PM
LTDan
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 6+6 Stang
good luck on it......yeah hoping is not REAL common!
Thanks. But no such good luck I got the call to pick up my car today. I went to pick it up with my shiney new master cylinder intact. I drove away and got about 2 miles. Press the clutch in to drive away from the stop sign, go into first gear, let the clutch go, the clutch pedal doesn't return. Not even 2 miles driven and the it fails again. Either the master cylinder wasn't the issue to begin with and the dealership is throwing parts at the car, or the shiney new replacement failed again after 2 miles and maybe 10 presses. I'm thinking either there is a legitimate design issue with these master cylinders, or something else failed (maybe the slave cylinder, which they did NOT replace) and the dealership fixed the wrong part. Hopefully they replace the entire hydraulic system this time around: master cylinder, fluid lines, and the slave cylinder. If it's any consilation, I got a better rental car this time. A ford Focus. And it's much better than the last Ford Focus I rented back in 2007. Gah. I want my car back and working
Old 01-07-2011, 10:26 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

is the subaru wrx japanese?....it's looking good lol
Old 01-12-2011, 12:56 AM
LTDan
1st Gear Member

Alright. Spoke to the service adviser today. He told me that they've ordered a full clutch assembly (disk, pressure plate and throwout), a flywheel, and a full hydraulic assembly (slave and master cylinders). I should be back in the car by the end of week On a Side note, this Focus is really not a bad car. It feels like my old Corolla (refined and high quality for a compact car), though with a bit more pep and a bit better handling.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:09 PM
LTDan
1st Gear Member

Got my car back and it drives like new now. The service advisor told me that there was a design flaw in the flywheel and bolts on my car. They replaced both with a new style along with a clutch assembly and both hydraulic cylinders. My car was built 5-25-2010, which was after the TSB regarding the clutch staying on the floor during high revs. So, I don't know if that's what the adviser was referring to as being the fauly design or not. Either way it's driving great now. And a new exhaust is coming next week! I'll start a new threadd with videos next week once it's all done.

Quick Reply: Clutch pedal binding