Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Installed Bassani Axle Backs

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 06:34 PM
Joenpb
2nd Gear Member

Thumbs up Installed Bassani Axle Backs

I spent a little time on YouTube trying to decide on which exhaust sounded the best for the 3.7L. I ended up choosing Baasani, and they arrived today. I went down to Midas and had them install my new mufflers. They informed me that the new exhaust would be much louder than my stock exhaust. I told them I knew that. It took them about an hour to install.

I did notice that one of my stock exhaust tips stuck out further than the other. It turns out the hanger "holes" on my car were not exactly in the same location on the undercarriage. Midas used a torch to heat up one of the muffler hangers so we could bend it a bit and each tip would stick out the same from the rear valance.

All I can say is WOW! The car sounds totally different, more like a high performance BMW or Jaguar (deeper tone) as opposed to a 350Z nissan high pitched wail, or the deeper V8 rumble. The Midas guys gave me high 5's when they were done, saying the exhaust sounded much better! lol

The car is louder, but not unreasonably so IMO. It sounds like a sports car, as opposed to a sedan. You can hear it on the hwy if you're hitting the gas, but its more of a low deep hum. If you take your foot off the gas its silent & doesn't drone. It is definitely louder, but so is a high performance Porche or a Ferrari & I wouldn't mind having one of those either.

Last edited by Joenpb; 02-07-2011 at 06:37 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:50 PM
Joenpb
2nd Gear Member

Here are the YouTube videos I looked at.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbcCN...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yuEy...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXT7X...eature=related

The tone is much deeper in person. I didn't have as much popping either, probably because I wasn't pushing the revs close to red line. Also there is a weight savings over the stock mufflers which seem twice as big.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:40 PM
DarkhelmetRT
1st Gear Member

I love that sound. I'm torn between the Bassani and the flowmaster.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:45 PM
LSUfan88

I have been doing the same thing for months now and I am stuck between Bassani and Magnaflow competition. Leaning towards Bassani and this just made my decision for me. It's funny that you mention one tip hanging out more cause I took my mufflers off(just to be stupid for a day) and when I re-installed them I noticed that and thought I might have done something to do that. I feel a little better now that I know I didn't do it.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:56 PM
Joenpb
2nd Gear Member

Well I've been driving around for a couple of days & its like driving a different car. My driving experience is greatly enhanced, and although I don't have proof, it seems like the car picked up a little HP too. Right now I'd say the first mod anyone should do is their exhaust. Its easy & very satisfying.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:18 AM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

I'm not doubting you gained more HP but I know how the users around here are that have had a stang for awhile, modded, know the car inside and out. I have done pipes on my '10...think I equated more HP to sound....so I don't get bashed by the experts if I jump onboard with you and claim more HP due to new axle backs, I will say they do sound more powerful, but without dyno's and other tools, not sure the human being can say they feel the effects of...and I'll go as high as 10 HP More, but I don't think we can tell just from just sittin in the seat we picked up 5 to 10 hp.....I'm with you..the sound tells me it got more, but i think the sounds makes us feel more HP...LOL and that's fine with me...I equate power to sound...I alway felt a quit car was a slower car......if it isn't...it's the way i feel and that will not change....until that quit one blows by me....which it will, but I just put this out there cause trying keep the bashing down that other like to do when you strap something on and make claims...I'm backing you...myself i will have more power in my mind by saturday, as I have a MMR CAI and BORLA STRINGERS coming..
Old 02-10-2011, 09:15 PM
Joenpb
2nd Gear Member

Totally concur 6 + 6, I meant my comment to be just that & not a claim, sorry for any confusion. Although it makes sense that there will be a performance increase with mufflers with better exhaust flow, and the car does seem less hesitant accelerating.

I'm running the car as is for a week so I can verify mpg compared to stock. Then I'm going to load a Bama tune (daily drive) & see what the mpg is. I'll probably check it with every mod added. I'd next be interested in a CAI, assuming I can find one that is California certified & is worth the add.

Last edited by Joenpb; 02-10-2011 at 09:20 PM.