Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

two new additions yesterday; Borla axlebacks, and 3M protection film

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 10:21 AM
sketchy00
2nd Gear Member

Default two new additions yesterday; Borla axlebacks, and 3M protection film

Two additions to the new mustang yesterday (new as in it was still running the gas from the dealer up until yesterday. That’s what snow and being out of town does for ya…). Installed the Borla Touring axlebacks. Per the recommendations of many of you, I just took it to a local shop. 30 minutes and 70 bucks later, they were installed. Quick review. Wow! For those of you who think the “Touring” edition of the Borlas might be too mellow, I’m here to state otherwise. To hear them in person really is something else. They were deeper in tone than was expecting, and the in-cabin sound was more than I was expecting as well. Boy do they sound great, and have interesting and unique qualities at different RPMs.

I also had the 3M protection film kit installed on the car. No, this wasn’t cheap (about $700 or so installed). But hey, neither was the car. I felt like I had no choice, as I drive an interstate with a decent amount of rocks and sand on there during the winter. Wanted to keep that Kona blue on the car. I knew I’d regret it if I didn’t do it. Anyway, the results are fantastic. It’s amazing how well a qualified pro can put that stuff on. Will get some pictures posted soon for those of you interested in the 3M protection film.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:29 PM
toledo5189

Did you order the 3m film online then take it somewhere or did you find a shop that carried it in house? If so what website?
Old 03-03-2011, 11:17 PM
sketchy00
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by toledo5189
Did you order the 3m film online then take it somewhere or did you find a shop that carried it in house? If so what website?
I took it to a place that provided the 3M material, and has their plot/cutter to cut out the shapes. They used a predefined template for the 2011 mustang. Fits perfect. It comes up fairly high on the hood, but the protection is worth any faint line you see. The guy who did it went through the official 3M training, and was describing some really interesting characteristics. He uses other brands upon request, but liked the 3m product the best.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:05 AM
2zero11

You paid 70 dollars for them to install your mufflers?
Old 03-04-2011, 10:34 AM
sketchy00
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2zero11
You paid 70 dollars for them to install your mufflers?
Yep. I had questionable facilities to install it on my own, and a few users reported that they had one stick out further than another, so the majority of users polled here said they'd just opt to get it done by someone. Otherwise, they'd still be sitting in my trunk. :-)
Old 03-04-2011, 10:49 AM
2zero11

I did them myself and I do agree with them that if it is not done right one will stick out further than the other but it is the easiest fix in the world just have to know what your doing.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:08 PM
toledo5189

Originally Posted by sketchy00
I took it to a place that provided the 3M material, and has their plot/cutter to cut out the shapes. They used a predefined template for the 2011 mustang. Fits perfect. It comes up fairly high on the hood, but the protection is worth any faint line you see. The guy who did it went through the official 3M training, and was describing some really interesting characteristics. He uses other brands upon request, but liked the 3m product the best.
Ill have to look into it soon. I saw a 2011 Roush with it on the other day but I didn't even notice till the driver told me. Its not even noticeable on black cars. Of course I forgot to ask where she got it done.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:19 PM
sketchy00
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2zero11
I did them myself and I do agree with them that if it is not done right one will stick out further than the other but it is the easiest fix in the world just have to know what your doing.
Thats good info for others to know in the future. Thanks for posting.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:27 PM
sketchy00
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by toledo5189
Ill have to look into it soon. I saw a 2011 Roush with it on the other day but I didn't even notice till the driver told me. Its not even noticeable on black cars. Of course I forgot to ask where she got it done.
It's pretty dang cool. It definately goes up higher on the hood than I thought, and I suppose if you were really sloppy with some wax or something, you might be able to make the line show up, but it won't ever be as bad as some nasty chips up front. Its great to have a sense of security. If a guy were to want to expand on the coverage, I suppose one could do the entire hood, and possibly a few inches or so on the lower door panel. Other than that though, it's good to go.