Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Observations on a newly applied Bama 87s tune

Old 03-22-2011, 03:11 PM
Grungie
1st Gear Member

Thank God for American Muscles good customer service... My tuner has made me so upset in the last couple of weeks that I've actually been finding ways to avoid driving my car. Ryan McDonald is working with me, and hopefully we will figure it all out in the next couple of days.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:20 PM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

Is your car/tuner having issues too?
Old 03-22-2011, 03:29 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Upsh1ft
Interesting,

The 87s tune was the tune I was looking to get into for daily driving on my stang eventually. So what your saying, climbing and potential passing power on 6th gear is really important to me as the bulk of my commutes are highway since it's the best way to go from my little town to the nearest cities.

My main worry however is, as the 87s tune focuses mostly on low end torque, does it sacrifice a bit of top end power vs stock? I'm hoping not.

Also, did you notice an increase or decrease in fuel economy with the 87s tune?
Just to make sure everyone is clear...6th gear is for cruising at a constant speed, NOT passing or uphill driving. Even vette owners will tell you that for their cars 6th gear is not really useful except for MPG (My next door neighbor has an 07 C6 as do a couple of his friends. The concensus is the same).

And yes, Bama tunes from AM are awesome
Old 03-22-2011, 04:32 PM
wrxified
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Grungie
Thank God for American Muscles good customer service... My tuner has made me so upset in the last couple of weeks that I've actually been finding ways to avoid driving my car. Ryan McDonald is working with me, and hopefully we will figure it all out in the next couple of days.
What happened to yours? My car's been down since last Friday because of an issue with my SCT tuner. Did you have a similar issue?
Old 03-22-2011, 08:20 PM
Grungie
1st Gear Member

Not sure if I've been having the same issues as you gentleman, but my shifting points are extremely rough from 1st-2nd and 2nd-1st. I understand that it will become a little rougher naturally with the tune, but I feel like I'm on a rodeo bull. The car doesn't go into 2nd gear until I'm at 2500+ rmps, even when I'm accelerating as slow as possible. My car will also randomly switch into a higher gear for no reason when I'm cruising along. What's wrong with yours?
Old 03-22-2011, 08:29 PM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Grungie
Not sure if I've been having the same issues as you gentleman, but my shifting points are extremely rough from 1st-2nd and 2nd-1st. I understand that it will become a little rougher naturally with the tune, but I feel like I'm on a rodeo bull. The car doesn't go into 2nd gear until I'm at 2500+ rmps, even when I'm accelerating as slow as possible. My car will also randomly switch into a higher gear for no reason when I'm cruising along. What's wrong with yours?
A couple things to check. First, is this a Bama custom tune or another shop? Or is this simply an SCT preloaded or "canned" tune?

If it's a Bama tune and an automatic, make sure that Bama has the correct gear ratio and rear tire size. This will have an affect on the shifting. You can always call Bama Monday-Friday from 9AM-5:30PM EST at 888.226.9764 if it's one of our tunes and we can help you diagnose it.

Chris
Old 03-22-2011, 08:34 PM
Grungie
1st Gear Member

Everything I do is with bama. I gave them my new gear ratio and tire sizes... They said they included both of those in the new tunes they sent me... is there a way I can double check? Thanks Chris

Also, check out this link (http://www.truedelta.com/car-problem...&session_code=)... look at the very bottom where the V6 is... I know it's for 2010's, but obviously some 2011's are having the same issue.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:30 AM
Upsh1ft
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AMChrisRose
Esso (I believe) is the same thing as Sunoco down here? Which is AWESOME gas on the east coast!
Actually, Petro-Canada would be the closest one. We had Sunoco before in Canada, also was a top-tier producer along with the other 3 I mentioned. Petro-Canada bought out all of Sunoco's operations in Canada fairly recently so where Sunocos used to be, we now have Petro-Canada stations with 94 octane as Sunoco was THE distributor of 94 octane fuel up here.

So yeah Awesome gas indeed. really clean too. an an example, we have really strict regulations for sulfur content which means we typically have a max of arround 30ppm. Combined with the fact that those guys are amongst the cleanest even up here along with the detergents already in the fuels, our engines stay pretty healthy regardless of the sh*tty cold we get here in winter.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:08 AM
D BERRY
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by AMChrisRose
A couple things to check. First, is this a Bama custom tune or another shop? Or is this simply an SCT preloaded or "canned" tune?

If it's a Bama tune and an automatic, make sure that Bama has the correct gear ratio and rear tire size. This will have an affect on the shifting. You can always call Bama Monday-Friday from 9AM-5:30PM EST at 888.226.9764 if it's one of our tunes and we can help you diagnose it.

Chris
Chris
I've got the SCT tuner with the BAMA tunes, so far I've loaded the 91 performance tune and the 87 street tune. The car feels awsome with the 87 street tune but the trans still feels crappy, if crappy is a word. First to second is really hard while most of the rest feel like the trans is full of oatmeal. Yes they did have my correct gear ratio and tire size. Also I'm a little nervous about the firmware issues cause I'll be changing back to stock soon for service. Is there any specific serial numbers or build dates that are more likely to be a problem or should I just call Bama and talk to them. Thanks!
Old 03-23-2011, 10:01 AM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

Is it me or does the exhaust note change somewhat with the tune? I immediately noticed a change in sound up front with my CAI, but my exhaust note never changed until I added my 93P tune.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Observations on a newly applied Bama 87s tune