Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Procharger Questions/Engine questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 09:41 PM
willmonte72

Default Procharger Questions/Engine questions

so long story short im planning to install a procharger on my fiances 2012 v6 automatic mustang. so i have some "side effect" questions (all questions based off 8lbs of boost)

1. what style head gaskets does the 3.7 have? How is 10.5:1 ok on pump gas, without head studs? and maintain everyday drivablitiy and abuse.

2. In regards to the previous question, is E-85 a possibility on the fuel system (can the fuel pump handle it?)

3. With the increased lb injectors, can the fuel pump keep up? or would the msd fuel pump voltage booster be reguired, if not an overall larger pump?

4. Can the 3.7 spark system adjust to the new Air/Fuel ratio via tune, or do i have to upgrade the spark as well.

5. Im not so sure the factory trans and converter can handle the extra power. if the guts can, would it be a good idea to add a better converter, and trans cooler.

Any other issues/add ons that you guys have ran into would be great to hear. thanks
Old 06-24-2013, 03:48 PM
freyes
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by willmonte72
so long story short im planning to install a procharger on my fiances 2012 v6 automatic mustang. so i have some "side effect" questions (all questions based off 8lbs of boost)

1. what style head gaskets does the 3.7 have? How is 10.5:1 ok on pump gas, without head studs? and maintain everyday drivablitiy and abuse.

The gaskets are composite gaskets. The stock tune pulls spark advance when 87 octane is sensed. You will have to use premium if you add the supercharger. Check compression and cylinder leak down before you add a supercharger. If you want to add cylinder head studs, MMR has them in stock now. As far as I know, only the tuner kit is available from Procharger, at least according to their web page. This means you need to add your own injectors, purchase a tuner, and get dynotuned

2. In regards to the previous question, is E-85 a possibility on the fuel system (can the fuel pump handle it?)

Will require a tune, but yes, it will work.

3. With the increased lb injectors, can the fuel pump keep up? or would the msd fuel pump voltage booster be reguired, if not an overall larger pump?

Up to 60lb injectors can work, up to about 6900 rpm, starts to lean out after that

4. Can the 3.7 spark system adjust to the new Air/Fuel ratio via tune, or do i have to upgrade the spark as well. You will need fuel map changed with a dynotune. SCT will not provide a canned tune

5. Im not so sure the factory trans and converter can handle the extra power. if the guts can, would it be a good idea to add a better converter, and trans cooler.

Factory auto trans can handle up to 700HP. If you want faster launches, switch to a high stall torque converter - Cost $600 - $1100.00
Any other issues/add ons that you guys have ran into would be great to hear. thanks
See above for my answers.

Last edited by freyes; 06-24-2013 at 03:55 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:46 PM
JimC

Originally Posted by freyes
Originally Posted by willmonte72 View Post

5. I'm not so sure the factory trans and converter can handle the extra power. if the guts can, would it be a good idea to add a better converter, and trans cooler.

Factory auto trans can handle up to 700HP.
See above for my answers.
Just curious, but where do you confirm the "700 HP" quoted above for the transmission? And what about torque?

The reason I ask is that a Ford service tech was telling me that the V8 and V6 don't have the same transmission and that the V6 can't handle much more than a stock set up. I'm not sure he is right either, because I always heard that the V8 and V6 automatic was the same, just different bell housings.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:22 AM
freyes
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
Just curious, but where do you confirm the "700 HP" quoted above for the Transmission? And what about torque?

The reason I ask is that a Ford service tech was telling me that the V8 and V6 don't have the same transmission and that the V6 can't handle much more than a stock set up. I'm not sure he is right either, because I always heard that the V8 and V6 automatic was the same, just different bell housings.
The gear ratios are also different between the V6 and V8 automatics. However, both transmissions are 6R80 transmissions. Supercharged V8s are achieving over 700 hp with these transmissions. The real limitation is the torque, maxes out at 800 ft lbs without modification.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:09 AM
jimbo101

Default thank you for the info.

I have a 2014 3.7and have been thinking about having a procharger or twin turbos installed on my car next summer andreally cant decide. I hear youy can still keep decent mpg with the turbobut the installation cost are really high.
What I just want is a car that is quick to accererate when I need it it is my daily driven car I have bassani axle backs and a airaid cai and 3.73 gears and running Bama tunes.
How much hp can I add without having to change the internals they say 60% is that at the wheels.I need the power in the lower rpm range or what I want a waste of money without racing it.
Could anyone give me a cost for a super charger that is good for a little less money and what the different superchargers would cost to have installed.
Sorry so long this is all new to me I just like power when I want it thank you very much.