Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Proper order for a new tuner

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 04:15 PM
WIDEtotheNER

Thanks a lot everyone. You guys are great. Anyone gone the headers route? Worth it?
Old 03-25-2011, 04:27 PM
Jhawk
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Truckbutt
On the instructions that came with my CAI it specically stated that running the engine without a tune sould damage the engine and that the engine might not even start. I was also warned by the people at American Muscle, not to run the engine without a tune for the CAI.
http://www.americanmuscle.com/steeda...al-2011gt.html
Thats interesting, I have never heard that before. This isn't my first rodeo in modding a vehicle. I have never heard of someone f-ing up there motor because of simply installing a CAI without a tune. I guess you learn something new every day. CHEERS!
Old 03-25-2011, 04:36 PM
neverdie

Привет народ!))) Сколько будет стоить мустанг конца 80х годов? В хорошем состоянии.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:53 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

A tune required CAI on an engine without a tune will result in running lean and eventually damage the engine.

A CAI & custom tune on the 3.7L will NOT produce 35-40 RWHP. You have your head up your Truckbutt.

You'll need the tuner and revised tunes for LT headers. I agreee with the order in the OP's 1st post. Although, I'd consider another CAI besides the AirRaid.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:45 PM
rmurad38
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
A tune required CAI on an engine without a tune will result in running lean and eventually damage the engine.

A CAI & custom tune on the 3.7L will NOT produce 35-40 RWHP. You have your head up your Truckbutt.

You'll need the tuner and revised tunes for LT headers. I agreee with the order in the OP's 1st post. Although, I'd consider another CAI besides the AirRaid.
Just curious, why not the Airaid? It seems to be the nicest (build quality) of the current shipping intakes, and is the one I think I want. Bad experience with them?

Rmurad38
Old 03-25-2011, 06:59 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

funny when they installed my jlt cai on my '10 they said we leaned it out with tuner, you'll get better mpg too now...so figure with what I have I'm good now.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:08 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Truckbutt
On the instructions that came with my CAI it specically stated that running the engine without a tune sould damage the engine and that the engine might not even start. I was also warned by the people at American Muscle, not to run the engine without a tune for the CAI.
http://www.americanmuscle.com/steeda...al-2011gt.html
stock intake tube on '10 gt is 85mm, jlt...110mm, yes needed tune, these v6's no tune required, forget HP Gains, it does run better with a aftermarket cai w/o a tune over stock...

There is another thread here that says Steeda requires a tune, and here see this is right off their page....remember I said when they make the MAF bigger need a tune..here is from their site " Next we increased the MAF housing size "

http://www.steeda.com/store/v6-musta...ir-intake.html

Last edited by 6+6 Stang; 03-25-2011 at 07:15 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:10 PM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

I think 35-40 is a bit of a stretch. 25hp and tq is about more like it. And adding anything else is only going to give you 5-10 more. Even the BBK LT header require an x-pipe to get their gains.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:07 PM
Joenpb
2nd Gear Member

An interesting thread pertaining to this discussion.

Bassani Exhaust & Airraid CAI
Old 03-26-2011, 06:27 AM
Truckbutt
Banned

Originally Posted by Nuke

First of all I wasn't talking about RWHP. I was talking about HP. Second, I was referring to a 5.0L Manual. If you add 25-30 for a custom tune and another 8-10 for the CAI you get 33-40HP.

Quick Reply: Proper order for a new tuner