Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Proper order for a new tuner

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 12:55 PM
WIDEtotheNER

Default Proper order for a new tuner

Howdy all,

First time Mustang owner here. Just got the '11 V6 Premium w/ Pony pkg, White w/ black stripes on doors and I freaking love it, and am planning on some basic mods.

I want to go with some Borla S or Atak exhaust, and SCT tuner, a CAI, and probably some headers. My question is: What order would you guys recommend for each of these or should I go full throttle and install all at once? I hadn't thought abt headers until this morning when a buddy of mine said I'd get more benefit from them than I would an upgraded exhaust. I'm a neophyte to all this so I have no clue if he's right or not. I had planned on going in this order:

1. CAI + BAMA tuner pkg (not sure at all which CAI is the best, help please?)
2. Borla S or ATAK exhaust
3. Headers

Recommendations? Any help is greatly appreciated and I'm really enjoying this forum. It's been very helpful especially for a newbie like myself.j
Old 03-25-2011, 01:01 PM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

I would do either the CAI or tune first, or if you can afford them both at the same time, both. None of the things you mention actually would require a tune unless those are LT headers you are wanting. As for an intake, I would go with an airaid or JLT. I own a JLT and love it. Steeda CAI produces similar results, but costs $100 more and looks like it even uses the same S&B filter JLT does. Use the extra $100 on the Bama tune from AM.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:39 PM
WIDEtotheNER

I'm completely clueless as far as headers are concerned, but I've decided to get the AirRaid CAI + tuner combo from AM. The Borla S or ATAK will be in the mix soon after. Thanks for the advice.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:48 PM
jrockgts197
2nd Gear Member

The order you have in the first post is exactly what I would do. The AirRaid certainly looks the best out of the choices on AM and the JLT and C&L intakes have a proven track record so I don't think you can go wrong here. The tune will make the biggest difference anyway.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:26 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Unless you do a tune with your CAI don't bother. The tune is where 80-90% of the power imporvement and 100% of the attitude adjustment for the automatics. CAI without tune = waste of money.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:33 PM
Truckbutt
Banned

Any CAI worth installing needs a tune. You might as well get the CAI with the SCT X3 tuner from American Muscle. It comes with 3 custom tunes for your vehicle plus you get free Bama tunes for life. Any time you do a modification that requires a tune, you go to the website, log in your data, and they email you the new tune. Don't try installing the CAI without the tune. Your car won't run or you will damage your engine.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:53 PM
Joenpb
2nd Gear Member

My perspective is a bit different, although the tune & CAI will garner you an extra 15-20 HP and a bit more pep, the mod I enjoy the most is my Bassani axleback exhaust. The car now sounds fantastic (albeit louder ), and although the performance was about the same, it is like driving an entirely different car. When the road is clear, now I turn down the stereo & enjoy listening to the car going through the gears. Something that wasn't nearly as pleasant with the stock axlebacks.

Last edited by Joenpb; 03-25-2011 at 02:56 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:25 PM
Jhawk
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Truckbutt
Any CAI worth installing needs a tune. You might as well get the CAI with the SCT X3 tuner from American Muscle. It comes with 3 custom tunes for your vehicle plus you get free Bama tunes for life. Any time you do a modification that requires a tune, you go to the website, log in your data, and they email you the new tune. Don't try installing the CAI without the tune. Your car won't run or you will damage your engine.

You won't damage your engine with just a CAI. I don't know where you heard that. It is however better with the tune and CAI combo.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:35 PM
Truckbutt
Banned

Originally Posted by Jhawk
You won't damage your engine with just a CAI. I don't know where you heard that. It is however better with the tune and CAI combo.
On the instructions that came with my CAI it specically stated that running the engine without a tune sould damage the engine and that the engine might not even start. I was also warned by the people at American Muscle, not to run the engine without a tune for the CAI.
http://www.americanmuscle.com/steeda...al-2011gt.html
Old 03-25-2011, 03:38 PM
Truckbutt
Banned

Originally Posted by Joenpb
My perspective is a bit different, although the tune & CAI will garner you an extra 15-20 HP and a bit more pep, the mod I enjoy the most is my Bassani axleback exhaust. The car now sounds fantastic (albeit louder ), and although the performance was about the same, it is like driving an entirely different car. When the road is clear, now I turn down the stereo & enjoy listening to the car going through the gears. Something that wasn't nearly as pleasant with the stock axlebacks.
Sit back and enjoy while I blow past you
The HP gain is closer to 35-40 HP with the tune and CAI.

Quick Reply: Proper order for a new tuner