Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Official tell me what you guys are getting in the 1/4

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 08:09 AM
3.73-11
4th Gear Member

^I don't think you need racing slicks or longtubes that one stang the sg auto w/4.10s hit 13.07 without either of those things I think hitting high 12s with our cars is a good tune free flowing intake&exhaust combined with decent gearing&a really good launch.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:20 AM
wrxified
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 3.73-11
^I don't think you need racing slicks or longtubes that one stang the sg auto w/4.10s hit 13.07 without either of those things I think hitting high 12s with our cars is a good tune free flowing intake&exhaust combined with decent gearing&a really good launch.
I love optimistic thinking. I'd rather not drop the money on the slicks. I am considering the driveshaft though. Need to find a way to combat the 60 lbs of weight I'm carrying in each back corner. I love the FRPP wheels I bought but the weight it pretty scary.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:26 AM
Upsh1ft
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wrxified
I love optimistic thinking. I'd rather not drop the money on the slicks. I am considering the driveshaft though. Need to find a way to combat the 60 lbs of weight I'm carrying in each back corner. I love the FRPP wheels I bought but the weight it pretty scary.
Yeah the driveshaft does seem like a good idea more and more. especially since the destructive incident a user experienced on AFM. Makes me believe that the speed gov was setup for a reason.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:26 AM
3.73-11
4th Gear Member

My thing with the slicks is I wouldn't run them without an upgraded driveshaft. I think the first time you hook real good bye bye stock driveshaft I'm seriously thinking about holding off until I have enough saved to do the alum driveshaft, tubular lcas&uca, 3.73 gears&93tune all at once. Probally take me until sometime in may/june but I believe that combined with my current mods&practicing against a tree will get me a flat 13 or high 12sec slip
Old 03-29-2011, 08:56 AM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

I am also concerned about wheel weight. I'm thinking of getting a set of forged 18" wheels. The ones I like are 22lbs. My stock 17" wheels weigh about 27lbs. So I could potentially lose 20lbs of rotational mass. That shaftmaster shaft is tempting too since it will lose another 10lbs of rotating mass too. I think it's pretty awesome that with a few of the right mods, you can be in 5.0 territory without spending the money for one.

I don't know that I will ever switch out the gears. I think I'm pretty happy with my 3.31s, so may have to live with a mid/upper 13 second car. I'm hoping some of my other future mods can help offset some of the lack of aggressive gearing.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:58 AM
Upsh1ft
2nd Gear Member

My thing with the slicks is I wouldn't run them without an upgraded driveshaft. I think the first time you hook real good bye bye stock driveshaft I'm seriously thinking about holding off until I have enough saved to do the alum driveshaft, tubular lcas&uca, 3.73 gears&93tune all at once. Probally take me until sometime in may/june but I believe that combined with my current mods&practicing against a tree will get me a flat 13 or high 12sec slip
I presume a GT driveshaft would likely work. Or would it be more cost effective to just go the aftermarket route?
Old 03-29-2011, 09:09 AM
3.73-11
4th Gear Member

upshift thats a good question man not sure on the answer. I think its hilarious that this car comes with over 300hp and a 160mph speedo yet was given crappy all season tires a two piece crappy driveshaft&limited to 118mph Yet we have the same transmissions*allbeit with different clutch setups&torque ratings*the same 8.8" rearend w/trac loc, factory dual exhaust etc as the allmighty end all be all 5.0s. Its like they purposefully did some things to make sure the v-6 wasn't seen as a true sports coupe while making claims to the contrary? At least that's my .02c
Old 03-29-2011, 09:18 AM
wrxified
2nd Gear Member

The driveshaft from the GT will not work and people haven't been thrilled with it either. I do think the driveshaft that exploded on the dyno video was somewhat of fluke. I doubt it's going to be a commonly occuring event although someone that posted the dyno results of adding the driveshaft eluded to several failures. I haven't seen any other than that one on the video. Might be wrong.

I would be doing it more the 8-10 hp. Running out of things to do before going with a SC.......it appears the ProCharger is inevitable.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:30 AM
unclerodg

I think you could get real close to a 13.0 with just the 3.73 and tune.After watching your in-car video, you did some real good shifting but probably "power shifting" would get you another tenth or two.I understand its pretty rough on the car.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:33 AM
Upsh1ft
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wrxified
The driveshaft from the GT will not work and people haven't been thrilled with it either. I do think the driveshaft that exploded on the dyno video was somewhat of fluke. I doubt it's going to be a commonly occuring event although someone that posted the dyno results of adding the driveshaft eluded to several failures. I haven't seen any other than that one on the video. Might be wrong.

I would be doing it more the 8-10 hp. Running out of things to do before going with a SC.......it appears the ProCharger is inevitable.
What the Hotel? Same transmission and rear end and it doesn't work?

Still even if the exploding shaft was a fluke, it still shows that it doesn't offer a lot of headroom for extra power/speed over stock. Better to play it safe I say. Especially up here where our winters are pretty corrosive with the snow/slush/salt in the winter i'm worried that the combination of that plus normal metal fatigue as the shaft ages could lead to some premature failures even with a modest power gain.

Quick Reply: Official tell me what you guys are getting in the 1/4