Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

2012 V6 vs older Honda with GSR motor?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 12:52 PM
FiK

Upshift, you should take him to the track and beat him into the ground. No excuses. :]
Old 04-21-2011, 01:20 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Upsh1ft
Really, then I better be on my A-game with the shifting.

Ahh well if he were to get lucky and beat me then good for him I guess.
CAI/tune just to make sure he doesn't? lol
Old 04-21-2011, 03:24 PM
Upsh1ft
2nd Gear Member

Upon closer inspection of the car and discussion with said neighbor, that civic has some nasty potential.

It is a 93 with a GSR motor. The back seats and rear cargo trimmings have been removed. The car has a roll cage. The motor is fitted with a CAI(needs to be cleaned though IMO). Apparently has eagle talon injectors. has been "chipped".

This could be a problem LOL.

In my defense, that car was bought new by the previous owner and was his project car ever since. It has seen frequent track duty. I doubt the car as a long life ahead of it. Especially considering how abusive the new owner is on his machines(every time he takes off from the parking lot in his chevy colorado with oversized tires, he feels the need to launch hard enough to do burnouts, every single morning).
Old 04-21-2011, 03:49 PM
09cs
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Alec
CAI/tune just to make sure he doesn't? lol
Yea that, and maybe some 3.73's or 4.10's lol

And if you REALLY want to embarrass him.... S/C it!
Old 04-21-2011, 04:32 PM
Upsh1ft
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 09cs
Yea that, and maybe some 3.73's or 4.10's lol

And if you REALLY want to embarrass him.... S/C it!
Honestly, I'm considering the S/C as a future mod to be done in a few years (Pricey and I'm still satisfied with the performance, coming from an aging Alero V6 does that to you) or after the warranty expires.

Of course, this will come along with better rubber and stoppers:
-255s up front
-275s in the rear
-Install the brembo brake package from the current GT :P

And of course the proper supporting mods:
-Aftermarket air intake(unless already included with S/C)
-Complete exhaust overhaul (We don't have to pass emissions testing every few years, only "law" is to avoid exceeding a decibel threshold )
-Appropriate tune

Again, only time and (lots) money are a factor.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:42 AM
wrxified
2nd Gear Member

I've had some exposure to the Honda motors in the past having owned a 2006 RSX Type-S. You should do some investigation about the motor. There are many variations of the engines found in the GSR. If he did a transplant it's highly likely he could be running the B18C5 or B18C6 that was used in the Type-R models. The B18C6 has a reworked head and is rated at 200hp but it was a very conservative rating. Some people dyno that close to and above that with a CAI alone and no tune. Strap a Hondata flashed ecu on top of that and he has access to thousands of free tunes that will easily push that motor to the limits. That Civic could be lighter with the weight reduction he's done. The motors wind up to 8000 rpm's and pull like a bat out of hell from 4k rpm's and up.

Before I supercharged my Acura I was running a tune and CAI and I ran low 14's. That was with all my audio gear and full sound deadening. So pretty close to the same motor, and 500 more lbs than he has.

Bottom line, I wouldn't bet any money on a race until I knew more.

Last edited by wrxified; 04-22-2011 at 08:46 AM.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:56 PM
Upsh1ft
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wrxified
I've had some exposure to the Honda motors in the past having owned a 2006 RSX Type-S. You should do some investigation about the motor. There are many variations of the engines found in the GSR. If he did a transplant it's highly likely he could be running the B18C5 or B18C6 that was used in the Type-R models. The B18C6 has a reworked head and is rated at 200hp but it was a very conservative rating. Some people dyno that close to and above that with a CAI alone and no tune. Strap a Hondata flashed ecu on top of that and he has access to thousands of free tunes that will easily push that motor to the limits. That Civic could be lighter with the weight reduction he's done. The motors wind up to 8000 rpm's and pull like a bat out of hell from 4k rpm's and up.

Before I supercharged my Acura I was running a tune and CAI and I ran low 14's. That was with all my audio gear and full sound deadening. So pretty close to the same motor, and 500 more lbs than he has.

Bottom line, I wouldn't bet any money on a race until I knew more.
I know he has a B18 motor, I however don't know which variant he has. I don't think he knows himself.

Unrelated but. Today I revved my motor to 6500rpm(ever notice that the ECU doesn't "bounce" the RPM back down but just holds it steady for a few seconds even after letting go of the throttle? Almost seems intentional) for another neighbor who randomly came by to check the car out(even friends of my parents whom we haven't seen for a while congregated here today to check it out, facebook is effective) and apparently the civic/gsr neighbor himself couldn't hold in a huge ear to ear grin. hehe :P