Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

K&N drop in & CAI

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 02:37 PM
sketchy00
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
Uhh, like i said the CAI by itself is a waste, a drop-in filter is a bigger waste. The TUNE has most of the power.

Here's why (and what the video proves). The STock program can only adjust for so much added airflow. That means you are limited by the PCM on how much power you will gain from a CAI. Unless you get a tune to go along with a CAI you will never realize the entire potential a CAI will provide you with. Why spend the money on a mod that can't be fully utilized, ergo a CAI without a tune, ergo CAI is a waste without the tune....
No, the video proves you get improved power with JUST the addition of a CAI - in the video's particular case, a JLT. Almost everything in the world has unrealized potential. "Improvement" implies the delta as the base power curve. In this case, the gains are surely better with the combo CAI & tune, but the answer is to the poster's question specifically about the CAI only. Your explanation sounds nice, but doesn't hold up to the proof on the dyno run.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:28 PM
fastforAPONY
1st Gear Member

sketchy00
Which did you get first the cai or buma tune?
I bet you could not go with out the glass roof after you got it.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:14 PM
sketchy00
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by fastforAPONY
sketchy00
Which did you get first the cai or buma tune?
I bet you could not go with out the glass roof after you got it.
I had the CAI installed for a few weeks before I put on my Bama tune. I have pretty decent sustained grade on a 70mph interstate that I drive daily, so I know exactly how she'd handle it in 6th. Before the CAI or tune, I tried really hard to see if it could sustain 73mph stock (which of course is only something like 1,800rpms with a 2.73). No matter how much I wanted it to, it could just never do it. When I put the CAI on, it pulled just fine in that gear, and when I put the tune on (91S is my favorite), it was an even greater improvement. That was one of the pleasant suprises about the combo is that it makes for the highway cruising a little more flexible as well. Not just those brief WOT bursts of fun.

And yes, you get really used to the glass roof. Makes things a so much brighter here in gray Seattle. It gets the most comments from the non-gear-heads.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:02 AM
fastforAPONY
1st Gear Member

Do the GT guys know more about our cars (3.7L) than we do.LOL
Old 06-20-2011, 03:23 PM
scottybaccus
2nd Gear Member

The restriction resolved by a CAI is in the piping, particularly around the MAF sensor. A drop in filter does little good with the stock piping. Make no mistake, though, a K&N filter doeas outflow a stock paper element. You would need to modify the air pipe and MAF housing to realize any gains.

I have a concern that the benefits of the factory cold air intake are lost with a typical CAI kit. These kits usually do a poor job of isolating the intake air from the engine compartment heat and so they aren't truly a cold air system, but just a free flowing under hood.

Add to this that Roush has dyno tested the 5.0 airbox to support their supercharger and you start to see my point. It's not the airbox, but the plumbing connecting it to the throttlebody, that is the problem. I suspect the 3.7 airbox and 5.0 airbox are very similar, since they use the same filter. Lastly, since the 3.7 has the same filter and it is good for a 5.0, shouldn't it be OK for a 3.7?

I'd challenge the Aftermarket to make a kit that preserves the stock airbox with revised plumbing to allow retention of true cold air induction.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:01 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

K&N drop in = dropping your money in the toilet.
CAI without a tune will give you MINIMAL gains if any. If you want 3-5Hp then go ahead.
I dont care what companies advertise.
Without a tune you will not notice JACK and you might as well get it for looks.

Get a CAI from Brenspeed or AM. But get a TUNE. You will regret it if you don't.
That's a promise.
There's not much difference in CAI's but I for one DONT like K&N period.
I'd get C&L, JLT, or something like that.

And yes you NEED a tune with it.
Get a package that has a hand held tuner.
You will need one anyways for future mods.
If you buy from AM or Brenspeed or a place like that they give you lifetime free tunes after you buy from them, they used to at least.

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 06-20-2011 at 09:07 PM.