Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!
Old 11-04-2015, 12:29 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

Stainless Works Catback Retro Exhaust

Old 08-23-2011, 08:03 AM
Stainless Works
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by scottybaccus
Paul,

How about offering the retro chamber mufflers as a bolt on to the stock pipes? I'm one of the potential buyers out there that isn't interested in making 400 hp with my V6 and I'm not interested in paying $500+ for an exhaust mod.
Make up a pair of mufflers competitive in price with Flowmaster and Dynomax and I'm in.

Barring that, make the mufflers and resonators from your cat back system available separately at a reasonable price and I'll handle the install. $154 for the 2" mill finish retro chambered muffler is kinda steep when compared to the stainless offerings from Dynomax or Flowmaster. I'd suggest $259 for all four would be worthwhile, just in case SW hasn't noticed that inflation has been checked by demand a few times lately.
Thanks for the feedback, as a manufacturer we need this information from our customers to help us make products to the interest of consumers. Stainless Works is a manufacturer of custom exhaust products, made in the USA. Technically speaking, our products aren't intended to compete with some of the larger exhaust companies on the market today. From the way we build our products to the components used we are very unique. Our quality and workmanship is very high level and our products find their way on many custom one-off vehicles. Not many companies can say they have done exhaust systems for 1934 Flathead Ford pickup truck, Turbo applications for Delorean or a "fish tail" exhaust on a 1970's Harley chopper. Sorry, no mass production here. We cannot compete with the pricing as requested, but I can offer a product that offers great sound, timeless appearance and quality that is unseen in the aftermarket performance exhaust industry.

If your interested in replacing your OEM mufflers please let me know and I can price out a set for you. I'm sure you will be pleased with your purchase if you chose SW as your exhaust brand of choice.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:59 PM
scottybaccus
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the response, Paul. I'll send you a note soon.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:15 AM
Upsh1ft
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stainless Works
Busted! Sorry for not responding to this thread, been occupied with R&D on some new products.

Yes, our chambered exhaust does offer a great muscle car sound. Our design was created to give the V6 Mustang a deep growl while decreasing backpressure using a free flow design muffler and smooth mandrel bends. If we chose a full 3", there would be a noticeable loss of TQ/HP on the bottom end. Using a 2.5" exhaust has allowed us to create a system that produces power across the entire RPM range. This means an increase in throttle response off the line, while still having a enough free flow at higher RPM to make better horsepower than stock and still support additional future engine modifications. You can expect 5-10hp with a catback exhaust upgrade. Our design will gain horsepower but its actually based on other variables. Keep in mind the motor is a huge airpump, the more you inhale/exhale the more power available. Now if you add in a larger capacity intake, re-tweek the computer to compensate for now modified air fuel ratio, then you have a noticeable difference in power. (I'm sure you guys all know this, just trying to get my point across). Now if you want to make power, buying a catback is only a small part of the equation, but this is what makes the sound you want. Great first upgrade because now your car will sound sweet!!! One of the best upgrades to increase power on any vehicle is to get rid of stock manifolds and replace them with a long tube design (28-32" primary) because this will increase power from idle to redline.

So in short its all relative.

Purchase a catback based on sound, quality of material, fitment and of course price.

I can understand the loss of power if your overall volume of exhaust is too small for the dynamic of your motor (ie supercharger, bore/stroke, rpm requirements, etc...) If your V6 is pushing over 500hp, then you want to consider a larger exhaust, no doubt!

Ok now let me have it, I know you guys will!! haha
The way I see it too is keeping the stock 2.5 inch piping diameter will likely help the torque curve keep roughly the same "shape"(rpm ranges) characteristics as stock. So it will drive roughly the same but with that potential extra bit of power. right? And if i'm right then it just supports my theory that you are better off sticking to stock diameter on this motor unless you are doing something like forced induction to push some serious numbers. Being that this 2.5 inch exhaust system is DUAL exhaust. which means it's 2.5 inches of piping for each bank of only 3 cylinders. Crap I remember back in my Alero days, 2.5 inch SINGLE exhaust was considered a huge upgade for the 3.4L V6. Seems like 2.5 for each set for 3 cyl is almost overkill.

Of course you still wanna try to remove bottlenecks here and there like in the muffler and whatnot.

Now I have a few questions:

1)Is your system considered street legal in regards to noise levels? I'm also concerned because there are no restricting elements like in a traditional muffler. all this looks like is a straight pipe setup with some (carefully engineered) dents on the tubing.

2)Would it be possible to post MORE videos of the V6 setup. Like some in car driving because I wanna know how itl sound from inside when I drive at ranges below 2000rpm, up to 3500 rpm on my spirited drives and WOT, Some more drive-by's but with a mix of WOT and regular driving to get a sense of how it sounds at low revs. a shot of it at idle near the muffler tips also. I just found the video too short on actually hearing the system and it lacked a variety of scenarios which would allow me to better judge the system. Another idea is to look at the video format of your competitor Borla. I so far prefer the sound of your system but Borla has the right idea when it comes to showing off it's products.

If you can do that for me you might just have a sale in your hands for the catback system.

3) What is the diameter of the exhaust tips? I know that quick measurements of the stock tips reveal 3.5 inches so I wanna know if yours are smaller and if so, how much. I'm hoping not to compromise on styling too much either.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:17 PM
Stainless Works
Former Sponsor

Thanks for replying UpShift, I will provide the following comments.

I like the Alero comparison and yes its fairly accurate, but your motor is more efficient in comparison. Look at the horsepower and gas mileage, this motor breathes really well. A 2.5" dual exhaust may be considered overkill, but not by SW. We design performance exhaust systems geared towards a performance customer. Our customers typically upgrade to cold-air intakes, gears, performance tune, pulleys etc.... so a 2.5" dual system performs very well!!

1) Our system incorporates 2 mufflers and 2 resonators that are carefully engineered to create the sound we wanted. The resonators are located after the converter, the muffler is located near the tip. The dimples are there to provide the deep tone that everybody loves. The inside of the muffler has perforations that control the sound.

2) We will gladly do another video if we get a Mustang V6 at our shop. We use these mufflers because they sound good and don't have any drone.

3) We use a 4" slash cut conical tip with a mirror polish finish, looks much nicer than chrome.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:44 PM
Upsh1ft
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for replying UpShift, I will provide the following comments.

I like the Alero comparison and yes its fairly accurate, but your motor is more efficient in comparison. Look at the horsepower and gas mileage, this motor breathes really well. A 2.5" dual exhaust may be considered overkill, but not by SW. We design performance exhaust systems geared towards a performance customer. Our customers typically upgrade to cold-air intakes, gears, performance tune, pulleys etc.... so a 2.5" dual system performs very well!!

1) Our system incorporates 2 mufflers and 2 resonators that are carefully engineered to create the sound we wanted. The resonators are located after the converter, the muffler is located near the tip. The dimples are there to provide the deep tone that everybody loves. The inside of the muffler has perforations that control the sound.

2) We will gladly do another video if we get a Mustang V6 at our shop. We use these mufflers because they sound good and don't have any drone.

3) We use a 4" slash cut conical tip with a mirror polish finish, looks much nicer than chrome.

Awesome timing and great answers. Much appreciated. The sooner the second video comes up the sooner I will buy. I just want to confirm my impressions before I pull the trigger as it is a good chunk of money.

EDIT:

Oh yes I wanted to know if the sound levels(decibels) are street legal.

Last edited by Upsh1ft; 09-14-2011 at 06:48 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:55 AM
Stainless Works
Former Sponsor

We are not sure on your local laws concerning sound levels, please check my prior post for sound decibel levels and verify with your local law enforcement agencies.

Our system is not a race car "off-road" purpose built exhaust.

My biggest fear is that you will be happy with the build quality, sound and performance and that Stainless Works will get blamed for leaving your loved ones behind and going to the track all day!!! HAHAHA
Old 09-15-2011, 09:08 AM
Upsh1ft
2nd Gear Member

We are not sure on your local laws concerning sound levels, please check my prior post for sound decibel levels and verify with your local law enforcement agencies.

Our system is not a race car "off-road" purpose built exhaust.

My biggest fear is that you will be happy with the build quality, sound and performance and that Stainless Works will get blamed for leaving your loved ones behind and going to the track all day!!! HAHAHA
Oh okay so the 10 feet away @6000rpm is barely legal in a nearby town. I'm scared to know what it's like 6 inches from the muffler though lol but heh whatever satisfactory.

well I guess I will wait until some new videos are posted but so far I'm interested.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:27 PM
Katmandu
2nd Gear Member

Question

1) Our system incorporates 2 mufflers and 2 resonators that are carefully engineered to create the sound we wanted.

The resonators are located after the converter, the muffler is located near the tip. The dimples are there to provide the deep tone that everybody loves.

The inside of the muffler has perforations that control the sound.
What is/are the difference(s) between your resonator and your muffler in this configuration ?

Can you post up pics of the internals of your resonators and mufflers (ie cut opened ?) ??

That will help us a lot.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:27 PM
I_Call_D.I.B.s
2nd Gear Member

Any chance you guys might post a second, somewhat longer video? I've been considering this exhaust for a while but there's only the one short clip from SW out there on YouTube. If anyone owns one of these exhausts, they aren't telling.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:31 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

I have Stainless Works cat backs, great system. I am looking at doing a full Stainless Works system in the future headers on back. Once that's installed I will be looking at 25hp gain and about 30 torque. Been talking a lot with their reps and getting all the info. But yes very good system noticed a nice power increase with just cat back.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stainless Works Catback Retro Exhaust