Does the 2011 V6 have a speed governor? - Page 3 - MustangForums.com


3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-26-2014, 03:36 PM   #21
jRaskell
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NH
Posts: 154
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronix View Post
As far as I know the speed limiter should be set for the speed your tires are rated at. My 2013 came with tires with a "W" code which I believe is rated at 168 mph. That's where my speed limiter is set.
The speed limiter should be set for the lowest rated drivetrain component, not just tires. In the V6 Stangs case, that's the driveshaft. Having W rated tires isn't going to help the factory driveshaft survive beyond it's rated speed.
jRaskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:28 PM   #22
Moronix
1st Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jRaskell View Post
The speed limiter should be set for the lowest rated drivetrain component, not just tires. In the V6 Stangs case, that's the driveshaft. Having W rated tires isn't going to help the factory driveshaft survive beyond it's rated speed.
I don't own a 2011 but my 2013 came from the factory with the speed limiter set for 168 mph (to match the tires). If the 2011 model has a driveshaft problem maybe Ford limited the speed for that reason but I would think they are asking for a lawsuit since the accepted practice is to match the limiter with the tires. What speed rating tires came on the 2011? Did Ford put out a "Safety Warning" concerning the driveshaft for 2011 models? Since anyone can put tires with higher rated speed on the 2011 and change the limiter to match, this could be a serious issue.

Last edited by Moronix; 04-02-2014 at 07:41 PM.
Moronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:55 PM   #23
TheDivaDanielle
3rd Gear Member
 
TheDivaDanielle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: DC
Posts: 642
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronix View Post
I don't own a 2011 but my 2013 came from the factory with the speed limiter set for 168 mph (to match the tires). If the 2011 model has a driveshaft problem maybe Ford limited the speed for that reason but I would think they are asking for a lawsuit since the accepted practice is to match the limiter with the tires. What speed rating tires came on the 2011? Did Ford put out a "Safety Warning" concerning the driveshaft for 2011 models? Since anyone can put tires with higher rated speed on the 2011 and change the limiter to match, this could be a serious issue.
the v6:

A. can't even hit that speed.

B. has had the limiter set to 115 for years and hasn't changed it, and you won't be seeing past 115 without a tune.
TheDivaDanielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:03 PM   #24
99GTvert
is my username.
 
99GTvert's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Earth
Posts: 13,323
Default

I have a hard time believing ford would be in a lawsuit about the driveshafts. Have they already been sued?
99GTvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:59 AM   #25
Moronix
1st Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle View Post
the v6:

A. can't even hit that speed.

B. has had the limiter set to 115 for years and hasn't changed it, and you won't be seeing past 115 without a tune.
I don't know where you get your info but you are wrong. As I previously stated my limiter is set at 168mph from the factory. I confirm that with my Hypertech Max Energy tuner which gives me the option of setting my limiter to match the tires on the car. I chose not to change the limiter because my tires are rated for 168 mph. So what will stop my car from exceeding 115 mph?
Please show me some official documentation to support your statement.
Moronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:01 AM   #26
TheDivaDanielle
3rd Gear Member
 
TheDivaDanielle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: DC
Posts: 642
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronix View Post
I don't know where you get your info but you are wrong. As I previously stated my limiter is set at 168mph from the factory. I confirm that with my Hypertech Max Energy tuner which gives me the option of setting my limiter to match the tires on the car. I chose not to change the limiter because my tires are rated for 168 mph. So what will stop my car from exceeding 115 mph?
Please show me some official documentation to support your statement.


V6 is limited to 115

GT/Boss 302/GT500 Convertible (and pre 2013 GT500 Coupe) is limited to 155. regardless of tire.

Yes my car with over 100hp more, the same tires, bigger brakes, tighter suspension and a more heavy duty factory driveshaft was limited to that speed. I can also attest to that limiter existing. With it removed I can tell you that the car could not even clear 170, but it was close.

Of course, the usual disclaimer of it being done on a closed course, yada yada.

so your answer is that the computer will stop you from exceeding 115 to hit 168. After that your driveshaft will. After you upgrade the driveshaft, the lack of horsepower will.

Last edited by TheDivaDanielle; 04-03-2014 at 08:13 AM.
TheDivaDanielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:59 AM   #27
Moronix
1st Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle View Post


V6 is limited to 115

GT/Boss 302/GT500 Convertible (and pre 2013 GT500 Coupe) is limited to 155. regardless of tire.

Yes my car with over 100hp more, the same tires, bigger brakes, tighter suspension and a more heavy duty factory driveshaft was limited to that speed. I can also attest to that limiter existing. With it removed I can tell you that the car could not even clear 170, but it was close.

Of course, the usual disclaimer of it being done on a closed course, yada yada.

so your answer is that the computer will stop you from exceeding 115 to hit 168. After that your driveshaft will. After you upgrade the driveshaft, the lack of horsepower will.
Guess I will have to retract my original statement. I set up my Hypertech tuner about a year ago and my memory has failed me apparently. I did leave the speed limiter at "Stock" and I must admit I don't know what that value is (maybe 115?). At the time I checked other settings and noticed that the "W" code was for 168 Mph and I then checked my tires and saw they were "W" tires. I must have made a wrong assumption that stock was the "W" setting. I'll never hit 115 mph anyway.
By the way I once had a driveshaft fall off doing 30 mph. Seems the universal joints were bad. The driveshaft was fine.
Moronix is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New guy in AZ. First Mustang, First Manual, First car. BeatnikFink New Member Area 6 10-01-2015 08:00 PM
Ordered a 2011 5.0 Wally39 2005-2014 Mustangs 14 07-19-2010 07:35 AM
2011 5.0 Coyote Testing Against 414HP BMW M3 aode08 Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion 17 02-23-2010 08:15 AM
Insider info on 2011 updates and more! KITT 2005-2014 Mustangs 101 10-08-2009 05:40 PM
More 2011 Mustang Rumors 83gtragtop The Racers Bench 53 09-10-2009 04:09 PM


Tags
2011, 2012, bypass, cars, eliminating, ford, forum, govern, governor, limiter, mustang, set, speed, top, v6

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:49 PM.