Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Squeak in rear quarter panel 'fixed'

Old 05-30-2011, 06:26 AM
mfvert2011
1st Gear Member

Default Squeak in rear quarter panel 'fixed'

I gave the dealership a deadline of 3 p.m. Friday (5/27) to put my car back together --- rear interior, including back seat and carpeting were out of car for "testing." They called in the morning to say that three young engineers from the Mustang factory who helped design the car were on-site and evaluating the squeak --- 30 days after I took it in. One hour before the give-me-my-car-back-or-else deadline, they called to say the engineers found the "source" of the squeak and "fixed" it.The cause was my Corsa after-market exhaust system. When the mufflers got hot, they said, they expanded and were rubbing against a hanger. They made an "adjustment" and voila, no more squeak. So far, so good.
Do you think they were just b.s.ing me? How do I know three engineers really looked at my car? How easy to blame it on an after-market exhaust system. Wouldn't the stock one do the same thing?
Old 05-30-2011, 07:22 PM
Joenpb
2nd Gear Member

If the squeak is fixed, why complain? I'm not sure why Ford would make up a story when they have nothing to gain.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:59 PM
FiK

Originally Posted by mfvert2011
I gave the dealership a deadline of 3 p.m. Friday (5/27) to put my car back together --- rear interior, including back seat and carpeting were out of car for "testing." They called in the morning to say that three young engineers from the Mustang factory who helped design the car were on-site and evaluating the squeak --- 30 days after I took it in. One hour before the give-me-my-car-back-or-else deadline, they called to say the engineers found the "source" of the squeak and "fixed" it.The cause was my Corsa after-market exhaust system. When the mufflers got hot, they said, they expanded and were rubbing against a hanger. They made an "adjustment" and voila, no more squeak. So far, so good.
Do you think they were just b.s.ing me? How do I know three engineers really looked at my car? How easy to blame it on an after-market exhaust system. Wouldn't the stock one do the same thing?
Apparently not. Do you really find it that hard to believe? Metal expands when it gets hot. Not exactly fringe science. More importantly, exhaust mufflers and tips, especially aftermarket modded systems, tend to vibrate, either strongly or frequently. Plus stock and aftermarket mufflers weigh differently, have different dimensions, have different metal compositions.

I personally might not accept that they had three design engineers come in and look at the problem, but if the thing no longer squeaks, who cares? Sucks it took 30 days to get worked out.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:57 PM
Funster_2011V6
2nd Gear Member

I completly believe it. My corsas rattled like a sun of a gun. The mounting hooks welded to the mufflers ride too close to the hangars. They squish the rubber damper in and rattle or squeak.

I had to tweak my corsas too.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:12 PM
mfvert2011
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the info. I am going to call Jim Browning at Corsa to tell him about the problem. Maybe they can fix it on future units they sell!
Old 06-01-2011, 07:23 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

All I can say is Borla got it right on my stingers...hey funster, look for the 6+6 rollin through laffeyette middle next week headed south LOL.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:16 PM
Ralph289

No BS, when I installed my cat-backs one hanger rod bearly touched the bracket and made noise like the inside of the muffler had come loose. Put a piece of rubber fuel hose where it was touching and noise GONE !
Old 06-05-2011, 09:54 PM
Funster_2011V6
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ralph289
No BS, when I installed my cat-backs one hanger rod bearly touched the bracket and made noise like the inside of the muffler had come loose. Put a piece of rubber fuel hose where it was touching and noise GONE !
That was exactly my problem. I bent the muffler hooks into more of an s shape on mine so that they don't touch.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:30 PM
wrxified
2nd Gear Member

I'm surprised they didn't bill you the shop rate for troubleshooting an aftermarket issue.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:57 AM
rmagni

Originally Posted by wrxified
I'm surprised they didn't bill you the shop rate for troubleshooting an aftermarket issue.

Im shocked they did not bill you once they found out it was aftermarket parts that caused the issue.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Squeak in rear quarter panel 'fixed'