Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Who needs a Honda when you can have a Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 07:36 AM
mobydick
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by L454S
Got this new Mustang as my wife's DD. It replaced an 09 Accord Coupe 2.4/M5. We got it for the much better ride and lack of road noise. Got a bonus I was glad to see.

The first tank was a long joyride, all flat interstate at 70mph, when I filled it back up it totaled 182 miles-5.3gal.=34.4 mpg. I thought this might be a fluke, bubble in the tank or something. She commuted a couple days this week, mixed in some city driving and I filled it up again this morning. 251miles-7.9gal.=31.8 mpg....no fluke.

These numbers are about 2 MPG BETTER than the Honda 4 cly/M5. I kept pretty good numbers on the Accord over the last 24,000mi. making the same commute. This was our third Honda, not regretting coming back to Ford........
I read somewhere the other day someone got 46mpg with one of the new V6s. I don't think all get that kind of mileage but on that one tank I'm sure they wereew trying to get the best they could! It was like 805 miles on that one tank!
Old 06-12-2011, 11:56 AM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

........also after driving my 3.31 gears, 6 spd manual, 3200 miles, running in traffic, sometimes 100, most times 75, mountains, the worst was 28 mpg best 33, avg 28.5 and so you know, don't give up your comfort in this heat, it gets same mpg's with AC on or not.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:50 PM
Mustangmaster
3rd Gear Member

Wow, this is the main reason I would like to trade up my 08 V8. Better ride, sync, quieter, better handling, just as powerful and great gas mileage. The 2011/12 V6 Mustang is a very nice car.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:33 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

how good is the '11 V6.....I traded my '10 GT for it...
Old 06-12-2011, 02:53 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

speaking of mustang.....found this article, referencing the 2014 stang....key changes...independent rear suspen. and a size more towards the fov body....

Report: Next Ford Mustang to go global, adopt IRS
Thanks to the addition of two new powertrains, the 2011 Ford Mustang promises to be one of the most formative sports coupes on the market. However, despite the Mustang’s new found performance and fuel economy, many still point out the car’s solid rear axle as a glaring weakness. While the drawbacks of a live axle are still up for debate, Ford will eliminate any such arguments with the next-generation Mustang.

2014 is an important milestone for the Ford Mustang, marking the iconic pony car’s 50th anniversary. And, to appropriately celebrate such an important birthday, Ford is hard at work developing an all-new Mustang to celebrate the nameplate’s first half-century.

The 2014 Mustang was set to share a platform with the Australia market Ford Falcon — and possibly a new flagship Lincoln model — but Ford has put its global rear-wheel drive plans on hold as sales of the Falcon have been collapsing over the last several months. Ford sold just 30,000 examples of the Falcon last year.

With the next-generation of the Falcon and the new Lincoln model all but cancelled, Ford will soldier on with a unique platform for the Mustang, according to Motor Trend. However, Ford needs a global scale to make any vehicle platform profitable these days, so look for the next Mustang to be sold in Europe and Asia.

But, more importantly, the 2014 will feature and independent rear suspension, matching rivals like the Chevrolet Camaro and Dodge Challenger. In addition to the IRS setup, expect the next Mustang to shrink in size—think Fox body size — aiding in both fuel economy and performance.

Although the Mustang’s IRS is a go, Ford engineers are still undecided on what powertrains to use in the 2014 model. The GT’s new 5.0L will undoubtedly soldier on, but Ford is reportedly considering more advanced drivetrains such as a turbocharged V6, especially for markets like Europe.

Ford is also unclear of the styling direction it will take with the next-generation Mustang, but look for Mustang to abandon the retro styling that was launched in 2005.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:24 PM
AmericanICON
3rd Gear Member

Interesting article. I've been wondering if/when Ford would abandon the retro-styling. A smaller Fox-sized platform wouldn't be horrible, but I still think that a V8 should be the main power plant. Once Ford gets into a turbo or twin turbo V6, you almost wonder if that price would exceed a GT with a 5.0.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:31 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by mobydick
I read somewhere the other day someone got 46mpg with one of the new V6s. I don't think all get that kind of mileage but on that one tank I'm sure they wereew trying to get the best they could! It was like 805 miles on that one tank!
Can be done, but at a constant 40mph and about 1400rpm.
Who drives like that? Not me.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:12 PM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

I think it'll be great if they replace the retro styling. It may make the 05-13s instant classics. What draws me to the Mustang is that classic muscular styling. You can immediately see the lineage to the original Mustang, but underneath is completely new and modern. It proves that when a particular design works, it can be nearly timeless.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:53 PM
Mustangmaster
3rd Gear Member

If Ford gets away from the 2005+ design, I'm going to trade up my 08 for a 2011-2013 V6 and ride it till I die. Might have to buy 2 of them to make sure I have one till I do die! I love the design. I'm not sure if they can do any better design than what they have now.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:03 AM
Tex-stang
2nd Gear Member

I think the mustang is a good size now and doesn't need to be any smaller.

Quick Reply: Who needs a Honda when you can have a Mustang