Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Axel-back vs. Cat-back

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 09:48 PM
goodfellow55

I have the 05-10 Flowmaster axlebacks, they do sound nice and it felt like there was a small gain(though not very noticeable). However, I wish I could have gone a different route. I hear borla and SLP make great sounding exhaust. Hope you find something you like.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:53 PM
SoFL05GT
1st Gear Member

I added Magnaflow Street Series axlebacks to my wife's 2011 V6 and friends are always complimenting about the deep sound. Plus the tips look so much better and there's absolutely no drone.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:17 PM
Thrashard340
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
The manufacturer's also advertised similar gains for the 05s thru 10's. None of those gains were valid. Now, if you really BELIEVE advertising, go buy a TB spacer...
Are we comparing axle backs or throttle body spacers?

Last edited by Thrashard340; 09-23-2011 at 12:45 AM.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:12 AM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 97tplsGT
Hows about a quick exhaust vid Hogass? Im gonna do something real soon myself. Ya'll may laugh, but I was REAL impressed with the 'straight pipe" vids I saw on Youtube. I really really really doubt Id ever go that route, but it did sound pretty good, for real cheap

BTW... sorry for the mini-hijack OP, Im just in the same boat as you. As much as I wanna do the cai/tune first (then gears), I gotta get some noisemakers on there
I posted some pix of the install process and a couple videos. The sound on the video kind of sucks due to distortion created by my phone. I'm on my ipad now so when I get to my computer I'll provide links.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:07 PM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

Read this thread:
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...atbacks-5.html
A couple more videos but the audio could be better:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXCk...e_gdata_player
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vv8i...e_gdata_player
Old 09-24-2011, 12:11 AM
97tplsGT
4th Gear Member

Thanks buddy! The other forum has a lotta great info! IDK WTF I wanna do! Lol. Ive been real set on the FM Force2 setup, but now Im thinking about the full catback with the 2.5" piping. I may get a quote from my exhaust guy to see what he'll charge to run all his own piping, weld in mufflers (w/e brand I go with), and probably just reuse the stock tips. He's done all my work in the past, so he may cut me a deal If thats the case, I may try n get a set of 4" tips to fill up that space.

Im really trying to talk myself outta going the whole "muffler delete" route. I just feel its the cheap way out, but damn it sounds good from the vids Ive seen! Any opinions for/against that?
Old 09-24-2011, 07:55 AM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

I wouldn't do the muffler delete because you'll lose power due to lack of back pressure. Just pick out the mufflers and/or tips you like and take them to your guy to weld up with 2.5" stainless steel. Just make sure he doesn't eliminate the joint areas in case you decide to go with a catback later. That way you can just bolt it in on your own instead of a second trip to the muffler guy. Just insurance in case you aren't happy with your custom one or just want a change later on.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:35 PM
Fintile12

Originally Posted by SoFL05GT
I added Magnaflow Street Series axlebacks to my wife's 2011 V6 and friends are always complimenting about the deep sound. Plus the tips look so much better and there's absolutely no drone.
That's the exact exhaust I'm looking to get. I'd love to hear what it sounds like in person. So far I've only heard the Borla Atack and a muffler delete I believe.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:38 PM
Fintile12

Does anyone have the Borla Touring? I'd like see what people think of that one.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:54 PM
StangisSwag
2nd Gear Member

borla s type as well, i can quite grasp the difference in ...well....volume, ataks might annoy me

Quick Reply: Axel-back vs. Cat-back