Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Borla cat back verse stock??

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 11:42 PM
StangisSwag
2nd Gear Member

Default Borla cat back verse stock??

hey guys, i have basically decided on borla s-type but before i buy, is it worth it to get the cat back system in its entirety? im looking for both hp and sound upgrade but its another few hundred to get that. ive heard stock system is "good enough". any thoughts?
Old 09-24-2011, 07:59 AM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

If you think you're going to get headers and a new xpipe, then get the full catback. Otherwise you should be okay with just the ABs.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:00 PM
StangisSwag
2nd Gear Member

yeah im looking into headers as well, so youre saying the stock system wouldnt be good if i got those?
Old 09-24-2011, 05:54 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

well I have the S type axle back and airaid cai, no tune all my friends, including hogasswild, knows when coming lol
Old 09-24-2011, 06:01 PM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by StangisSwag
yeah im looking into headers as well, so youre saying the stock system wouldnt be good if i got those?
What I am saying is that the headers and xpipe will be more open. If you leave the midpipe stock then you're basically going to defeat the purpose of the headers and xpipe by creating a bottleneck.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:28 PM
StangisSwag
2nd Gear Member

so, 6+6 your s type is "loud enough"? can you hear it much over some med. volume music? and hog, yeah thanks, your reasoning makes sense it would open it a lot....why cant money grow on trees?
Old 09-25-2011, 06:44 AM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by StangisSwag
so, 6+6 your s type is "loud enough"? can you hear it much over some med. volume music? and hog, yeah thanks, your reasoning makes sense it would open it a lot....why cant money grow on trees?
Can you hear over Medium music????LOL I keep my volume loud all the time and I hear them anytime, when I start car in morning, the first 10 seconds sounds just like my '10 GT sounded, that deep rumble...They have no drone on highway, now you have to keep in mind whether you get headers, or whatever, this is 6 banger, it is not going to have that deep deep V8 sound but the sound it produces.....Signature.....kicking in 2nd and 3rd, it's a wild sound, I am very satisfied, I describe it as a Euro sports car sound. I have had Corsa, and MAC's, much better over those too...when you let off throttle you also get that pop, pop,, not a loud back fire, but a pop pop pop...I stand by them, I need no other parts under car, I suppose you could get louder adding X pipe and so on, but mine, neighbors know when I start up and when drive off in morning...LOL its always start, heads turn...they ignore, I back out, no ones looks, I put in 1st, take off, I look in mirror...they're looking LOL. good luck.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:22 AM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

I feel the same way about my custom exhaust. I basically bought the mufflers that Pypes sells for their catback system and made my own catback for half the price. I have a nice deep rumble at idle, nice gurgle sounds between shifts and almost a race car sound when you're getting on it. Sounds fairly exotic and wonderful to me. I have no problem listening to music when I'm cruising around town. The thing you have to understand is that all exhaust options are louder than stock. Just make sure you get resonated tips to help with raspiness.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:34 AM
StangisSwag
2nd Gear Member

hmmm euro sports car? i might have to rethink that lol, anyways thanks a lot guys, definitely getting headers and an x pipe probably adding them all at the same time
Old 09-25-2011, 05:40 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

Get a cobra lol, a 4 or 6 any make or model going to have that high pitch tone not a deep rumble, just like me wondering when had my '10 GT, at idle why does it not sound like my 69 chevy did, that lop lop sound, why does a v twin honda not sound like a v twin Harley, cause that's the way its made lol

Quick Reply: Borla cat back verse stock??