Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

V6 any regrets??

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 09:24 PM
slayerizer

Default V6 any regrets??

I know that everybody is supposed to love the V8 but I was wondering how many of V6 owners (2011-2012) don't feel any need to go to the V8 later down the road.

Any pros and cons about the engines, beside the price & mpg?

I'm not into racing but I love the sound of big engine. I tried a few 2012 V6 and loved driving them with the manual transmission. I tried an automatic vert and I didn't like it.

I'm on the fence, I ordered a V6 but they refused to build my order so I have to submit a new one and was hesitating between the 6 or 8.

I've seen more than a hundred clips of mustang V6 and V8 on youtube but I never drove a V8.

Fuel economy is not really a big factor since I work from home. I currently put gas in my tank every 4-6 weeks!

thanks
Old 10-17-2011, 09:27 PM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

Go test drive a V8. You'll regret it if you don't, and always be wondering.

At some point, the mod bug is going to bite you, you'll start wanting more power, more performance, more get-up-and-go fun....and you'll be thinking about that V8 and wishing you'd test driven it.

I've been in your same situation, and it's not fun to look back with regrets.

Last edited by Biceps; 10-17-2011 at 09:31 PM.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:30 PM
slayerizer

Cool

Originally Posted by Biceps
Go test drive a V8. You'll regret it if you don't, and always be wondering.

At some point, the mod bug is going to bite you, you'll start wanting more power, more performance, more get-up-and-go fun....and you'll be thinking about that V8 and wishing you'd test driven it.

Been there, and it's not fun to look back with regrets.
they only have an automatic at the dealership.. I hated it when I drove the vert (but it was the V6)...

with an automatic you almost need to hold your wife's hand! :-)
I want manual!
Old 10-17-2011, 09:33 PM
lil_sixer
2nd Gear Member

I owned both,like everybody says V-8 is a step-up. More power,sounds orgasmic. Enough said haha and you dont even have to worry about gas!
Old 10-17-2011, 09:36 PM
Bruno's 06

It sounds to me you really want the V8, I know the new V6 is great but you will not regret getting the 8, you may regret getting the 6.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:44 PM
slayerizer

i'm just open minded about it.. my current malibu is 180hp and that's the most powerful car I owned.. I test driven the new sonata 2.0t, a jetta gli 2.0T , the genesis turbo and the only ones that made me drool are the GLI and the mustang.. Once I tried the Mustang, I did not look back, that was it. When I drove it, 305hp was enough. One thing I hate about the V6 is how closed minded people are. Every time I talk about the v6, everyone is saying that a mustang cannot be bought with the V6, its not a true mustang and so on.. It makes me furious every time, because they don't even know the specs of the newer cars and don't really know either the specs of the old ones. They have the V8 in their dream and can't believe in nothing else. And these people are currently driving toyota or civic.

I'm not sold, I know that I often want more, but I just felt I couldn't ask for anything more when I drove the v6.. I know that from what I've seen from the youtube videos, the v8 is impressive.. but is it wise to spend 10000$ more when I don't have any racing ambitions.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:38 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

People will always have opinions. That doesn't mean you have the appease every idiot with an idea for how you should spend YOUR money! I got a v6 because it was what I and my parents thought would best suit my needs, and wants (more so the second one lol).

Nothing more to it, if you are satisfied with the (well engineered) 3.7L v6 then good on you. Save yourself some money and get the v6, or get a fully loaded v6 with lots of nice goodies for the price of a v8... Up to you, but people will always tell you what you should/could have- it's not like you need to hold their opinions of you to your chest.

If I worried about every time some *** clown came up to me (face to face, or otherwise) and told me how my v6 was for "little girls", I would be spending more time crying in a corner than driving the damn car haha.

Do what fits your lifestyle OP. And screw the opinions of un-informed/ignorant masses.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:13 PM
snaf2u
2nd Gear Member

I bought the v6 vert and am very happy with it. We wanted a vert so no coupe would do.

I do run a couple times a year at the US131 Martin, Mi track and I really enjoy it. I have run 13.95 with this vert. If I go faster than 13.50 I have to put in a roll cage which I don`t want. The 5.0 would therefore exclude me from being able to do what I want.

If I had a coupe I probably would have gotten the 5.0 but frankly this 6`er is plenty quick.

Sooooooo, to answer the question. NO REGRETS HERE! None. Zip. Zilch. Nope.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:44 PM
Hotwheelracer
3rd Gear Member

Regrets and worrying about what others think are two seperate issues. You will need to decide whether what others think about you/your car is important enough in your decision making process. I got the V-6 to save on gas, insurance, purchase price, etc. If fit my lifestyle, not what people think. If I had more money and did not drive as much for work as I do, I probally would have gone V-8. But absolutely no regrets, and if they someday do creep in I can always trade her in on a V-8.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:52 AM
2011V6Conv
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by snaf2u
I bought the v6 vert and am very happy with it. We wanted a vert so no coupe would do.

Sooooooo, to answer the question. NO REGRETS HERE! None. Zip. Zilch. Nope.
Same here

Quick Reply: V6 any regrets??