Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

CAI really worth it?

Old 03-15-2012, 07:36 PM
WORKISSLOW
2nd Gear Member

Hell man, if you can afford the Super Charger go for it!
I don't have that kind money. I am thinking more about getting affordable power and maybe a little better mileage. I don't even have the premium package, I have a base model, your already thousands of dollars ahead of me.

I posted some pics and edit my original post.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:08 PM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

Hey Guys,

I am sure you will see this on the this site, but I wanted to repost what a customer wrote about the Steeda CAI/Tune. This a true customer sharing his experience.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/3-7l...2-mustang.html

Thanks

TJ
Old 03-18-2012, 10:07 AM
TommyGNR

I am interested in the sound. Does anybody have a link to before/after video? If not I would appreciate any description of how the sound changed.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:00 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

I have the Airaid CAI, which does NOT require a tune, however the performance is minimal with out a custom tune. The HP maybe (3-5) HP without a custom tune and can only be felt at higher RPM ranges. Once I uploaded my custom Brenspeed tune, I noticed a huge difference with throttle response and performance gain. From what I have read, the stock air intake on the 2010+ are more efficient than the 05-09 models. I would say, go for the SCT handheld tuner and custom tunes from a reputable company, such as Brenspeed or AM.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:28 AM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

No offense Kevin, but this is where we get misinformation. You're comparing apples and oranges with the 4.0 and the 3.7. American Muscle did independent testing of the new v6 with a number of CAIs with and without tunes. What they found was that the intakes were able to get similar peak numbers as their tune alone. When paired together there was maybe a few more HP, but where they really shined together was lower end torque improvement, something on the order of 32tq more than stock in parts of the power band. The video is on Youtube in American Muscle's account somewhere. I'll try to find it.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:01 PM
Unclenard
1st Gear Member

I posted the video on the 1st page - 5th post.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:03 PM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

So there you go. You answered your own question. Thread closed lol.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:06 PM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

By the way, if you really want to know the single best performance improvement, it would be gears. I noticed the I didn't have them when I posted in this thread the first time.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:30 PM
Unclenard
1st Gear Member

So after 3 months I think I finally have someone that gets it. When noobies come on asking what they should do first the answer shouldn't be CAI and tune. It should be tune or tune with gears. Yes, the CAI does a very small amount for performance. Yes, it does look cool. And some like the sound. But if someone is asking for the best first performance mod the CAI is not the right answer.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:00 PM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

After 3 months and a couple days you can learn everything you want tomorrow March 20when Steeda releases their "truth about CAI"

Stay tuned....

Best Regards,

TJ

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CAI really worth it?