Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

driveshalf for 3.7 v6

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 09:48 AM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

Does the AE DS weigh less than stock?
Old 01-08-2012, 02:46 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

Sure hope it would, SM's was like 17 # less than stock, stock thik I weighed it at 45 lbs
Old 01-09-2012, 10:37 AM
SC_Kona_Blue

Originally Posted by JayyVee
Wish we had some SM and AE folks that could come in here and discuss with us owners (and potential customers).
The SM guys have been on the forums and have put it to bed and they are done. Here is an exhaustive article on the subject.
http://v6mustangperformance.com/news...haft-failures/

I also have an exclusive interview with the guy who broke his in the video. As soon as he approves it, the article will go live. I was getting sick of all the other websites just posting the video and adding their own rather rude conjecture without actually talking with the guy. :P

The manual SM unit was 8lbs lighter than stock. It was good for 9WRHP. I wish SM would just make a 4" unit and put it back up for sale but they have not made a final decision on that. I think their sales quantity does not warrant the expense.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:26 PM
JayyVee
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SC_Kona_Blue
The SM guys have been on the forums and have put it to bed and they are done. Here is an exhaustive article on the subject.
http://v6mustangperformance.com/news...haft-failures/

I also have an exclusive interview with the guy who broke his in the video. As soon as he approves it, the article will go live. I was getting sick of all the other websites just posting the video and adding their own rather rude conjecture without actually talking with the guy. :P

The manual SM unit was 8lbs lighter than stock. It was good for 9WRHP. I wish SM would just make a 4" unit and put it back up for sale but they have not made a final decision on that. I think their sales quantity does not warrant the expense.
I've seen that article before and found it very informative, but it didn't really let on if SM was going to create another, or had decided not to make them any more - if they've put it to bed, I can only assume that means they won't be making any more? Someone will fill the slot, you can bet. (AE I suppose!)

Interested to hear the interview - at first I was amazed at a failure like that, then I have to say I've become a bit of a skeptic that such a thing would 'happen' to be video'd while it happened w/o some advance warning it was inevitable (As in the car had pushed it many times and beyond that point, drove it hard, or what not). Be very interesting to hear.

As for 4" DS's, I do believe The Axle Exchange's aluminum 4" DS for 11+ V6's will be back in stock sometime this week at least for manuals, from what I've gathered from AM.

This is the only thread about this across multiple Mustang forums that I've seen and visited/searched on this, with any sense of civility and discussion of the matter - props to the locals. (The other thread about it from the main page here is about as bad as all the other sites unfortunately..)

Thanks for the info!
Old 01-11-2012, 12:52 PM
freyes
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JayyVee
I've seen that article before and found it very informative, but it didn't really let on if SM was going to create another, or had decided not to make them any more - if they've put it to bed, I can only assume that means they won't be making any more? Someone will fill the slot, you can bet. (AE I suppose!)

Interested to hear the interview - at first I was amazed at a failure like that, then I have to say I've become a bit of a skeptic that such a thing would 'happen' to be video'd while it happened w/o some advance warning it was inevitable (As in the car had pushed it many times and beyond that point, drove it hard, or what not). Be very interesting to hear.

As for 4" DS's, I do believe The Axle Exchange's aluminum 4" DS for 11+ V6's will be back in stock sometime this week at least for manuals, from what I've gathered from AM.

This is the only thread about this across multiple Mustang forums that I've seen and visited/searched on this, with any sense of civility and discussion of the matter - props to the locals. (The other thread about it from the main page here is about as bad as all the other sites unfortunately..)

Thanks for the info!
I'm working this issue with SM as we speak. I'm a metallurgical Engineer with failure analysis experience. Once I have publishable information, I will write an article concerning one of the Dyno failures, if SM will allow me. My main motivation is to get SM to start re-selling their drive shafts.

westcoastsc.