Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

driveshalf for 3.7 v6

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 03:16 PM
fastforAPONY
1st Gear Member

Default driveshalf for 3.7 v6

Who out there is concerned about our driveshalfs? I am for one.
I do not think shalfmaster sells a driveshalf for our cars, right now.
AM. has two,one for auto and one for manual.
The v6 drivershalft is longer than the v8.I can see why that would be.
I would guess that the auto is longer that the manual too.
What is the length of a 3.7 auto and manual driveshalf?
what is the length of a5.0 auto and manual driveshalf?
Old 01-02-2012, 03:28 PM
JimC

Have you tried calling Shaftmasters? They may know if one of the other shafts fit, or it might not be on their web site for some reason (maybe no one has ordered one yet so they haven't done a prototype for the 2011 V6 yet)
Old 01-02-2012, 06:03 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

You must have seen the vid of the guy pushing the 6er past it limits.. I lve those car tho and am expecting that AM or someone will come out with a stouter drive shaft, at least I hope so.. GL my man!
Old 01-02-2012, 07:31 PM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

Not really much to worry about unless you're removing the limiter and going fast than 115mph. So I guess if you're going to the track, yeah you need it. If you're just driving legally on the street, no you don't.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:55 AM
Alien
1st Gear Member

These driveshafts do not fail automatically at high speeds.

I have gone past 140mph several times without any issue, and this past week we took the car to 150+ mph in the dyno testing the new tune with 0 problems.

I do plan to change the dreveshaft as soon as I can but it is not a given that it will fail once you go over certain speeds.

Just in case my car is a manual not auto.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:25 AM
SC_Kona_Blue

Default 3.7 Driveshaft Failures

Shaftmasters has stopped making their 3.7L shafts. They were failing at 140 MPH+ just like the factory units have been. The other aluminum unit out there I think is 4" versus the 3.5" unit Shaftmasters had.

I was the beta car for the Shaftmasters unit and have beat it up at the track with zero issues. As a matter of fact I broke the two piece factory flywheel and not the driveshaft. I however have not had the car on a sustained 140+ MPH pull.

Some of the problems may be due to pinion angels as well as RPM limit raising. Harmonic vibration increases with more speed. For sure if you plan to pull your speed limiter then get both the front and back safety loops.

Its scary for sure and shame on Ford for building a Mustang with such a limit.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:07 PM
Joenpb
2nd Gear Member

Shaftmasters has stopped making their 3.7L shafts. They were failing at 140 MPH+ just like the factory units have been.
I've got a Shaftmasters DS and talked with them about it & we traded PM's on this subject. Basically what they said is none of their DS's have failed on the road or track. Only on the Dyno, hence the reason they believe heat is a factor in the failures. They explained the failures as something they've never seen before, basically the shafts that failed, twisted apart.

I just wanted to point out that our driveshaft has only failed at high rpm's on the dyno. As of now we yet had a reported failure on the street or strip. Not only has this type of failure,(tube twisting) never happened on any of our other Mustang applications, it has never happened on any of the thousands of other aluminum driveshafts that we have built. This type of failure is something that we would expect to see on a big heavy-duty truck driveshaft that was subjected to some kind of shock load!
Mine has worked well & if I didn't read about the problems, I would have never known. One thing I do know, my car isn't going on the dyno anytime soon.

My guess is our V6's have drive train harmonic resonances that are amplified more on a dyno, add that with the increased dyno operating temperature, & what you get is an increased probability of an early 4th of July.

Last edited by Joenpb; 01-04-2012 at 06:24 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:28 PM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

Have we determined which cars were lowered that had DS issues? I'm thinking it's incorrect pinion angle that's causing the damage, not heat.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:41 PM
Joenpb
2nd Gear Member

The problem with that theory are the stock DS failures, and the fact that none of Shaftmasters other Mustang shafts, or any of their other DSs have failed this way. The more I think about it the more drive line resonance makes sense. Heat is also being considered because none of the shaftmaster DS's have failed on the road or track, & the extra heat the exhaust produces on a dyno seems like the largest difference.

The last thing to consider is WRXified & others have dynoed/tracked their cars without issue. Like the hit/miss MT-82 shifting issue, some cars might be stricken with more drive line resonance than others.

Last edited by Joenpb; 01-04-2012 at 07:09 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:28 PM
wrxified
2nd Gear Member

I discard the heat issue because there is nothing on the 3.7 V6 that would cause any more heat than the 5.0 V8. That and the exhaust is further from the driveshaft than on the 5.0. There is no science to my assumption there, I just can't see how you could tie a heat issue to the 3.7 V6 and not the 5.0 V8.

I think the dual mass flywheel and some sort of resonance issue is where I'd start if I were an engineer and had to come up with an answer. I know one of the other members was talking about the clunking they hear in their drivetrain. I had that from day one with the DM flywheel. That and a wicked rattle starting from a stop that I noticed after I installed my ProCharger. I thought tubing was hitting the chassis somewhere. Then mysteriously my rattle disappeared after I replaced the flywheel.

Last edited by wrxified; 01-04-2012 at 07:31 PM.

Quick Reply: driveshalf for 3.7 v6