Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Can you chip a Mustang for better gas mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 10:42 PM
nakita7

I really don't know what rear end it is. I special ordered the car, and it never came up at all? Is it on the window sticker? Where on the car are the option codes?

For those that may not know, the way rear end ratios work is:

Higher number = Fast acceleration, bad mileage, low top end (high RPM)
Lower number = Less acceleration, good mileage, better top speed (low RPM)

The ratio is how many times the driveshaft revolves when the tire rotates one full turn. A 4.11 rear end means the driveshaft will turn 4.11 times to turn the wheel one time, whereas a 2.73 rearend will only have to turn 2.73 times to get the vehicle the exact same distance. Problem is the happy medium, because of weight from a dead stop. A 4.11 is much less strain on the powertrain.

What is the standard ratio on the V6 Mustangs?
Old 04-02-2012, 09:20 AM
solidhadriel
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by nakita7
I really don't know what rear end it is. I special ordered the car, and it never came up at all? Is it on the window sticker? Where on the car are the option codes?

For those that may not know, the way rear end ratios work is:

Higher number = Fast acceleration, bad mileage, low top end (high RPM)
Lower number = Less acceleration, good mileage, better top speed (low RPM)

The ratio is how many times the driveshaft revolves when the tire rotates one full turn. A 4.11 rear end means the driveshaft will turn 4.11 times to turn the wheel one time, whereas a 2.73 rearend will only have to turn 2.73 times to get the vehicle the exact same distance. Problem is the happy medium, because of weight from a dead stop. A 4.11 is much less strain on the powertrain.

What is the standard ratio on the V6 Mustangs?
Standard gearing on the 2011's is 2.73.

Did you order the performance package? They're the only package that comes with the optional 3.31 gearing. If you did not order the performance package, then you will have 2.73 gears.

Another way to find out, it to jack up the rear-end of the car, crawl underneath it, and there should be a sticker if I recall correctly with the gear ratio attached to the differential.

If off-the-line acceleration is not an issue for you and you want the best gas mileage, stick with 2.73 gears.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:32 PM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

If mpgs are your main concern, then keep the 2.73 gears and do nothing. The amount of gas you will save with a tune, or intake etc is so small it doesn't justify the cost. Any deeper gear change will negatively affect your mpgs.

With that said, I get 28mpgs with my intake, tune, exhaust and 3.73 FRPP gears.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:42 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by hogasswild
If mpgs are your main concern, then keep the 2.73 gears and do nothing. The amount of gas you will save with a tune, or intake etc is so small it doesn't justify the cost. Any deeper gear change will negatively affect your mpgs.

With that said, I get 28mpgs with my intake, tune, exhaust and 3.73 FRPP gears.
+1000, don't waste money at this point. You'll save what...$1.20 every fill up which is not enough to justify the cost of the tuner. It's like people that more for a prius becasue it's a gas miser but by the time you make up for the savings in gas versus a civic or focus the prius will be a rust heap in some auto graveyard. And a Civic and fFcus are more fun that a prius :P
Old 04-02-2012, 07:17 PM
unclerodg

Originally Posted by solidhadriel
Standard gearing on the 2011's is 2.73.

Did you order the performance package? They're the only package that comes with the optional 3.31 gearing. If you did not order the performance package, then you will have 2.73 gears.

Another way to find out, it to jack up the rear-end of the car, crawl underneath it, and there should be a sticker if I recall correctly with the gear ratio attached to the differential.

If off-the-line acceleration is not an issue for you and you want the best gas mileage, stick with 2.73 gears.
The 3.31 ratio limited slip axle can be ordered as a single option for $395(2011).
Old 04-03-2012, 05:25 PM
nakita7

Hope I have the 2.73's, I'm just after mileage. I'll check the car.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:30 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nakita7
I'm just after mileage.
Well, if that's all you're after, there's always this:

Old 04-03-2012, 05:34 PM
Lem-06
4th Gear Member

Ahhh. My eyes. They burn
Kill it!
Lol
Old 04-03-2012, 06:54 PM
I_Call_D.I.B.s
2nd Gear Member

Need moar skank:

OT: I'm pretty sure your car has the 2.73 final drive. The only way your car would have come with the 3.31 gear is if you ordered that option from the factory. As you mentioned, you special ordered it, so I would be surprised if it came with the 3.31 gears. IIRC, the Performance Package (which includes the 3.31) was and is not available for convertibles.

You can also type in your VIN in place of the one in this URL and see your window sticker:

http://www.inventory.ford.com/servic...7W2BT8CEA28524
Old 04-05-2012, 12:29 PM
stangs-R-me

OP ... you have a Canadian Mustang which is spec'd out differently than the US models that most of the replies are refering to.

According to the Canadian Order Guide dated 11/18/10 ...

All Canadian Base model 2012 V6 comes with 2.73 gears (no 3.31 option) and there is no Base model Convert.

All Canadian Premium model 2012 V6 Coupe & Conv. comes with 3.31.

This seems kind of odd to me, but hey it's all there in Black & White ...

here is a link ...

http://forums.themustangsource.com/f...8/#post5985679

Doug

Quick Reply: Can you chip a Mustang for better gas mileage?